Is the price of diesel restricting boat use?

peterboat

Featured Posts

Yesterday whilst we were moored at Barnby Dun, I chatted with 3 mini gin palace owners, they had all had a short hop out from their moorings. They were saying normally they would have gone further, but the price of diesel was restricting distances travelled. Of course they use more fuel than tin bath boaters but is the same happening with us?

Not sure why you are raising the Q as you are electric, mostly.

I'm not going far due to other parameters,: essentially I like to potter, then there are stoppages so frequent that I am unable to navigate freely, but yes, I expect some will restrict their travel, but a few hundred quid compared to a few thousand inflation pounds pa will not make a massive difference to anyone's lifestyle.

Edited by LadyG

If the three boaters raised that point in conversation without being prompted, I would think that is a massive concern, it means they are finding the cost of their hobby to be too expensive, compared to other costs, capital, licence, insurance, maintenance, and marina fees.

I liveaboard, the cost of propulsion diesel is quite small, in comparison to other life costs.

Quite a lot of my diesel goes to domestic purposes, if only propulsion, it would be only a few hundred a year, compared to ten thousand and more of living costs.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 2

29 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Yesterday whilst we were moored at Barnby Dun, I chatted with 3 mini gin palace owners, they had all had a short hop out from their moorings. They were saying normally they would have gone further, but the price of diesel was restricting distances travelled. Of course they use more fuel than tin bath boaters but is the same happening with us?

The big difference with the 'mini gin palaces' is just how much fuel they use. I currently burn about 1 litre an hour on my travels, so even if diesel goes up to £2 a litre that's still only going to be £2 per hour, I'll cruise 4 hours a day so that will cost me £8 per day. That's about 2 pints of beer in a pub now isn't it?

• Greenie 1

The big gin-palaces (I'm thinking hundreds of hp in twin engines) must drink fuel, even when pottering. By the hour, narrowboats with maybe a tenth of the hp, still cost less than an ICE car to run.

eta: crossposted with WV - what he said 🙂

Edited by BilgePump

We invested in solar after not traveling to the boat during lockdowns so what we would have spent in fuel driving to\from the boat paid for the solar installation which now means we are running the engine less as this time of year all charging is from the solar.  We are, however, running the Eberspacher more for hot water so still using diesel.  We haven't stopped going boating though and still see plenty of boats out from the marina, possibly more out than in previous years.

3 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

The big difference with the 'mini gin palaces' is just how much fuel they use. I currently burn about 1 litre an hour on my travels, so even if diesel goes up to £2 a litre that's still only going to be £2 per hour, I'll cruise 4 hours a day so that will cost me £8 per day. That's about 2 pints of beer in a pub now isn't it?

Yes, I dont think the fuel prices for narrowboat useage will concern anyone who has such a boat. It is still a small part of running the boat even if ccing. Whilst recently having a beer with a friend of hours we actualy mentioned fuel useage for boats and I said just how little over the thirty odd years diesel had cost us. When he tops his boat up it costs him about 5k each time and he doesnt let the tanks get very low, :o

25 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

When he tops his boat up it costs him about 5k each time and he doesnt let the tanks get very low, 

I dread to think what filling up my boat from empty would cost now

2,800 litre tankage.

In the past many marinas have been unable to supply enough fuel (they only keep sufficient to top up the 'rag & stick' merchants who only want 20 or 30 litres at a time) and I have had to get a road tanker come down to the quayside to fill me up.

• Horror 1

33 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

The big gin-palaces (I'm thinking hundreds of hp in twin engines) must drink fuel, even when pottering. By the hour, narrowboats with maybe a tenth of the hp, still cost less than an ICE car to run.

eta: crossposted with WV - what he said 🙂

No in reality a car is more economical than a narrowboat, a gallon might get you 20 miles more or less.

The mini Gin palace would with it twin engines do 5 litres in an hour.

Boat wise I am not seeing it busy for a Sunday although this passed me yesterday, Waddies have sold another of their boats after first giving it a makeover 

Screenshot_20220626-120928_Gallery.jpg

41 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

The big difference with the 'mini gin palaces' is just how much fuel they use. I currently burn about 1 litre an hour on my travels, so even if diesel goes up to £2 a litre that's still only going to be £2 per hour

I filled up from Ariel the other day (£1.45 ppl), and I was commenting to @Liam that even though I wince at the price I'm still going to put diesel in my boat.

Even at £3 a litre it would be less effort than having to bowhaul any distance ...

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I dread to think what filling up my boat from empty would cost now

2,800 litre tankage.

In the past many marinas have been unable to supply enough fuel (they only keep sufficient to top up the 'rag & stick' merchants who only want 20 or 30 litres at a time) and I have had to get a road tanker come down to the quayside to fill me up.

Yes our friend doesnt quote litres often, he buys fuel by the ton!! Tanks are somewhere around 5000 litres. He has a new boat on order and ive just googled the specs and the tanks on that one are depending on actual model around 11000 litres.....kinell

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes our friend doesnt quote litres often, he buys fuel by the ton!! Tanks are somewhere around 5000 litres. He has a new boat on order and ive just googled the specs and the tanks on that one are depending on actual model around 11000 litres.....kinell

Oh and edit to add, it aint poxy electric :clapping: As he can afford anything, I do wonder why companies are not fitting hairdryer motors to boats like his as the norm these days??

Edited by mrsmelly

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well, if it was, he must have a pretty thirsty generator.

Joking apart though. When people of his spending power ( several million for his latest boat ) can have whatever they want, if electric is so marvelous why isnt he having it in his new boat or indeed the cheapy 2 million pound or so boat he has at present??

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Joking apart though. When people of his spending power ( several million for his latest boat ) can have whatever they want, if electric is so marvelous why isnt he having it in his new boat or indeed the cheapy 2 million pound or so boat he has at present??

You do realise that big boats are already electric Tim?

Screenshot_20220626-123514_Google.jpg

Some of you will be glad to know it seems to restricting long haul caravan use.

We have driven down from Calais to Midi Pyrenees over the last two days.

We would usually see loads of Brits hauling their wobble boxes down the A10/A20, and we would usually be doing the same had we not decided last year to book a gite this time.

Literally have seen no more than a couple of (incorrectly GB) plated car and caravans on our way down.

Some motorhomes but still not as many as previous years. Road fuel seems ever so slightly cheaper here but ISTR Macron gave the French a better duty cut than our govt. Its still not cheap by any means though.

Just now, peterboat said:

You do realise that big boats are already electric Tim?

Screenshot_20220626-123514_Google.jpg

I do yes, but I also realise that nearly all like the mate is buying are diesel. Two bloody big ones. Money is no object so why not lectric?

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Oh come on!

Barnby Dun is in Yorkshire.

A short hop from Barnby Dun is still in Yorkshire.

Now, I'm not one to promote the stereotype of tightfisted Yorkshire men, but............?

😃

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I do yes, but I also realise that nearly all like the mate is buying are diesel. Two bloody big ones. Money is no object so why not lectric?

Because people are not rational, logical thinking machines, if they were they probably wouldn't be buying a boat in the first place🙃.

Even the super rich are driven by habit and emotion, they stick with what they know and trust, Diesel engines work, the fuel is readily available, spare parts and mechanics who know how to fit them are in good supply. 

This doesn't mean Diesel is better than electric (or vice versa), just that at the moment diesel is easier.

28 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Oh come on!

Barnby Dun is in Yorkshire.

A short hop from Barnby Dun is still in Yorkshire.

Now, I'm not one to promote the stereotype of tightfisted Yorkshire men, but............?

😃

Normally they would have been at new junction end for a BBQ but the fuel costs were putting them off.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Normally they would have been at new junction end for a BBQ but the fuel costs were putting them off.

They need to consider a change of hobby if they are put of by the fuel costs of such a short journey.

Thankfully the owners of the vehicles at the Sheffield Steam and Vintage Rally have not been put of by fuel costs and were more than willing to display their vehicles, not just static but in the show ground as well.

Some real beauties and some real power on display. 

Also a genuinely friendly and enthusiastic set of owners. Brilliant day out. Not one for the environmentalists though 🤣🤣🤣

FB_IMG_1656248942350.jpg.284d952a074f80fe9ad1abdb71e22ebe.jpg

FB_IMG_1656248961797.jpg.3d3adafd13fa56711d7bc1e4202563bb.jpg

FB_IMG_1656248969069.jpg.1c5fc3b2b8b4b20740b44c1e0511ad91.jpg

There was even a hybrid 🤣

FB_IMG_1656249332042.jpg.49b2d27a1b16790b2c5bfb37c364e06b.jpg

FB_IMG_1656249337478.jpg.1b8fb81117bd245b192f2eb0354e513e.jpg

FB_IMG_1656249340896.jpg.42c1b5554e54d732b70f993948472650.jpg

• Greenie 1