Nurse quit her job to run narrowboat café with her son

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

58 minutes ago, cougie said:

Perhaps they are doing takeaway coffees and food too ? Then their tables aren't tied up ? Should be a bit of passing traffic there ?  Good luck to them. 

They don't need "a bit of passing traffic", I think they'll need a total truckload to get even close to breaking even.

But let's see what our resident expert says. He's been there and done it. Run a tea room professionally that is, unlike you and me. 

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We always used to add up the 'takings' in an evening - never the 'makings'.

Profit is king, turnover is vanity. I thought you'd have known that Alan.

Any fool can run a tea room as a hobby. Making it earn you a living is a whole different matter.

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

They don't need "a bit of passing traffic", I think they'll need a total truckload to get even close to breaking even.

But let's see what our resident expert says. He's been there and done it. Run a tea room professionally that is, unlike you and me. 

I dont think it really matters does it, if she had entered into this as a bit of a hobby and is financially secure due to other income or resources. 

Its actually not really anybodies business but hers.

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

Profit is king, turnover is vanity. I thought you'd have known that Alan.

Any fool can run a tea room as a hobby. Making it earn you a living is a whole different matter.

Agreed, but we were talking about the daily 'takings' as a subject, not the profit margin (which would be very difficult to monitor on a daily basis as you would need to do a stock take every day to value your stock and WIP.

Better to do it monthly, or even quarterly, or, let the accountant do what they are paid to do.

6 hours ago, cougie said:

Perhaps they are doing takeaway coffees and food too ? Then their tables aren't tied up ? Should be a bit of passing traffic there ?  Good luck to them. 

Precisely. It's a tearoom/cafe/takeaway with outside seating by the looks. People are commenting about a location they haven't a clue where it is, and a business that they have no way of knowing how it operates, what the overheads and what the footfall may be. I'm with you in wishing them good luck and a decent business going forward.

• Greenie 2

Sometimes a decent life can be managed on a very low income. Most of my life my income was from playing in various bands, seldom netting me more than ten grand a year and, even with a part time job, never getting me into the tax bracket. If she owns her house outright, a pittance from something you enjoy doing goes a hell of a long way.

• Greenie 1