Birmingham & Worcester to the Shropshire Union

Dawdlemoor

Featured Posts

On 27/06/2022 at 14:58, Goliath said:

I wouldn’t have thought mooring at Autherley would be problem. 
It’s simply I like to get to Brewood. 
Usually from Wolverhampton, and that’s a comfortable stint of boating on me own. 

Other than stopping for an ice cream or the water tap at Autherely, I didn’t  think there was much to stop for?
Mind, I didn’t know there was a supermarket nearby. 

There’s the club I’d like to try where they sell the diesel before the junction. 
If it’s still there. 

Don't bother with club house or diesel 

11 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

He's already gone past Laurie, but for future reference I presume you are referring to Oxley on the Staffs & Worcs side before the stop lock?

(Just so there's no confusion with Wolverhampton Boat Club on the Shroppie side a mile past the stop lock who do welcome visitors to their bar from 8pm Wed, Fri & Sat, but don't sell diesel to the public).

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

He's already gone past Laurie, but for future reference I presume you are referring to Oxley on the Staffs & Worcs side before the stop lock?

(Just so there's no confusion with Wolverhampton Boat Club on the Shroppie side a mile past the stop lock who do welcome visitors to their bar from 8pm Wed, Fri & Sat, but don't sell diesel to the public).

Yes Oxley

4 hours ago, Laurie Booth said:

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for the suggestion and sorry for my late response, I'm slower learning my way around this forum than I am learning how to live on the cut!

We've been in Brewood for a couple of nights and love our little spot, going to do our washing later whilst drinking beer in the Bridge.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by Videris

51 minutes ago, Videris said:

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for the suggestion and sorry for my late response, I'm slower learning my way around this forum than I am learning how to live on the cut!

We've been in Brewood for a couple of nights and love our little spot, going to do our washing later whilst drinking beer in the Bridge.

Regards,

Martin

Sounds good 

2 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Oh dear... 

I'm late fifties, but the rest of that description fits... :o 

I have a hoody and am older than I want to be, never actually wear the hood though, it irritates me no end, in fact all hoods do, I have a real dislike of turning my head and having the hood obstruction my eyeline :)

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I have a hoody and am older than I want to be, never actually wear the hood though, it irritates me no end, in fact all hoods do, I have a real dislike of turning my head and having the hood obstruction my eyeline :)

I have a couple myself. I'm just being realistic and I refuse to believe anyone who says they have never prejudged in their head or felt at least slightly apprehensive if they've approached a bridge in the circumstances I've described.

On 27/06/2022 at 09:51, Philip said:

No it isn't. 

It's a rough area and boats are a target. People go on about canals like some of the Manchester ones being bad stretches, Autherley Junction isn't any better but doesn't get the same criticism because it's on a popular canal. 

I have never had a problem there and only know of one incident

On 27/06/2022 at 12:24, Mike Todd said:

We were broken into on that spot some years ago and stuff stolen, despite being on board, asleep. But it was probably another boater rather than locals.

Would not put me off mooring there if that was a sensible option for the cruising plan.

You are the only one I have heard off.

36 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Where’s it to then? Where do I tie up ?

I’ll be over that way soon enough. 

Given there are usually shopping trolleys in the Shroppie by bridge 2 I guess the supermarket can't be far away.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Where’s it to then? Where do I tie up ?

I’ll be over that way soon enough. 

Travelling south, moor at Bathurst bridge #2 on the Shroppie before the junction. Cross the canal, walk east , cross the Blaydon road to Morrisons supermarket. Not far to walk.

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I find when we stop there I always have something to do on the boat like at most other supermarkets 

Looks quite a hike. 
😳

But could be worth a walk if they got a decent Pie counter. Some of them do. 
😋 

But did a big shop at Tesco in Rugely which’ll see me right. 

👍

Its about 1 mile.

Compare to some other supermarkets near canals:

Ellesmere                   Tesco                 about 100 metres (assuming middle-of-arm mooring)

Wombourne (S&W)   Sainsburys        about 60 metres

Stone (T&M)              M&S Food        about 30 metres
Stone (T&M)              Morrisons          about 300 metres

I am sure there are more "supermarkets next to the canal" locations too, eg Kidderminster