CaRT grass cutting contract 2022

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

Are we talking about organic material, that could blow into the water from such as a farmer's field? Not to mention the tons of leaves that end up in the water, come autumn.

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Are we talking about organic material, that could blow into the water from such as a farmer's field? Not to mention the tons of leaves that end up in the water, come autumn.

Yes.

But specifically about such organic matter that is deposited intentionally (ie tipped / dumped into the water)

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes.

But specifically about such organic matter that is deposited intentionally (ie tipped / dumped into the water)

...which is perfectly acceptable, the grass breaks down eventually and doesn't do any harm. - official.

Game, set and match, as I believe they're saying on telly this week.

Just now, Athy said:

...which is perfectly acceptable, the grass breaks down eventually and doesn't do any harm. - official.

Which doesn't make it legal though, does that take it to a tie break?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Higgs said:

I hate think what crap ends up going down the sink of a narrowboat, in the course time; grease, bits of food, brushes being washed out...

I can honestly say that we've never put any grass down ours. We are responsible boaters.

On 25/06/2022 at 19:29, Pie Eater said:

Does anyone know whether the CaRT grass cutting contract is available for boaters to view.

I am aware that the cutting regime has changed but the grass around the locks has become so long that you cannot see the trip hazards so either the frequency of cut is wrong or the new contractor is missing areas.

Getting back on topic.

Does anyone have the answer to my query.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

I pointed out the issue a fair while ago, eutrophication.

The issue isn't your grass cuttings or in fact maybe your neighbours but it becomes an issue if everyone does it, so the approach is just to say don't do it.

The natural inflow of organic matter obviously can cause similar issues, but grass tends to be higher in nitrogen, but autumn comes when there is more rain so is more likely to be washed out to sea in rivers, whilst grass cutting season tends to be in lower flow conditions, there will still be a build up of organic matter though.

Canals will be different because of the lack of flow and organic matter can build up quicker over time and lead to the bottom being to close to the top much quicker and the dumping of high nitrogen material like grass is likely to cause eutrophication issues much easier.

Someone mentioned farmers and their impact and this is a serious issue, both organic matter/soil and nitrogen run off and this is being addressed quite seriously at the moment with additional controls in areas likely to effect rivers.

Apart from that it is fly tipping 

2 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

Getting back on topic.

Does anyone have the answer to my query.

I did speculate earlier on, new contract, new contractors mobilising, report the issues to CRT so they can get the contractors back if required 

15 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I pointed out the issue a fair while ago, eutrophication.

The issue isn't your grass cuttings or in fact maybe your neighbours but it becomes an issue if everyone does it, so the approach is just to say don't do it.

Whose?

15 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Apart from that it is fly tipping 

Not so.

Edited by Athy

13 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Why isn't it fly tipping?

Because Athy says so, ignoring the various postings above highlighting dumping garden waste, including grass cuttings, is illegal.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Because Athy says so, ignoring the various postings above highlighting dumping garden waste, including grass cuttings, is illegal.

Athy seems to have adopted the Boris Johnson method of arguing.  Just deny everything despite repeatedly incriminating yourself, and then deflect, deflect, deflect.

I'd feel sorry for him if it was the first time, but...

28 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Athy seems to have adopted the Boris Johnson method of arguing.  Just deny everything despite repeatedly incriminating yourself, and then deflect, deflect, deflect.

I'd feel sorry for him if it was the first time, but...

No, I have not done that. What do you mean by "deflect"?

Why do you feel sorry for someone just because they are right? 

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, I have not done that. What do you mean by "deflect"?

Why do you feel sorry for someone just because they are right? 

This is a genuine question, why do you not think dumping grass cuttings in the river isn't fly tipping 

8 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

This is a genuine question, why do you not think dumping grass cuttings in the river isn't fly tipping 

Oh, but I do. I'm afraid you're misrepresenting my opinion.

Edited by Athy

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

So as it's fly tipping, it's illegal, or you could try to explain your thinking, I'm genuinely confused 

Yes, I got that impression.:D

Somehow I've just remembered that the lawn needs mowing so I'm off, but do carry on amongst yourselves.

14 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Fly-tipping is defined as the illegal depositing of waste matter on land. Not sure it applies to throwing stuff into the canal, or you'd have to arrest everyone feeding the ducks.

And, of course, fishermen.

That could be taken as suggesting that you think that 'feeding the pigeons in Trafalgar Square' is fly-tipping.

But, to take your other point, I think there may well be other legislation in place covering 'throwing fishermen in the canal'.

• Haha 1