CaRT grass cutting contract 2022

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Athy said:

That's interesting. The Middle Level people have emptied their bank mowings into the water ever since we've lived here (15 years now). But I suppose as they're the water authority they don't need to grant themselves a permit.

Surely much of the vegetation which goes into the water is eaten by fish and ducks.

1 hour ago, BWM said:

Unlikely to be eaten by anything living on or under the water, the longer strands of bramble and the like will add to materials fouling the prop, the rest will hasten silting up, depending on quantity going in.

Thats one area where you have to give MLC some credit for though-they do a fair bit of weed cutting and clearing so would think anything off the bank is considered fairly insignificant.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, BWM said:

Unlikely to be eaten by anything living on or under the water,

If that is so, no one has told our local ducks. When I empty our lawn cuttings into the water, they are soon chomping their way through them.

16 hours ago, Athy said:

If that is so, no one has told our local ducks. When I empty our lawn cuttings into the water, they are soon chomping their way through them.

I've no doubt they may eat some, particularly if rich in clover and dandelion leaves but the majority will just add to detritus on the bottom. 

Can i ask why you fly tip lawn mowings into the canal? Much easier to compost in a pile surely - not as bad as the idiots who tip their stove ash in but an unwelcome addition to a watercourse all the same. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

No, the term suggests an illegal activity, which this is not.

I suggest that it may be if not exactly illegal for a private individual it is not recommended, I know as a contractor dumping Green waste into a river would have got me in a lot of trouble with the environment agency.

I don't have the time to dig out specific legislation right now

Edited by tree monkey
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

I suggest that it may be if not exactly illegal for a private it is not recommended, I know as a contractor dumping Green waste into a river would have got me in a lot of trouble with the environment agency.

I'd be very surprised if there was an exemption in the legislation for grass clippings.

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

I suggest that it may be if not exactly illegal for a private it is not recommended, I know as a contractor dumping Green waste into a river would have got me in a lot of trouble with the environment agency.

Fly tipping - which in places can be a real problem, not least for the landowner who has to clear it up - is often done by individuals who cannot bebothered to go to the nearest council waste centre.

I'd be pretty certain  that a householder tipping garden waste onto someone else's land is clearly fly-tipping, although whether anyone is in a position to take enforcement action over lawn grass is another matter!

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Mike Todd said:

Fly tipping - which in places can be a real problem, not least for the landowner who has to clear it up - is often done by individuals who cannot bebothered to go to the nearest council waste centre.

I'd be pretty certain  that a householder tipping garden waste onto someone else's land is clearly fly-tipping, although whether anyone is in a position to take enforcement action over lawn grass is another matter!

I agree with all of this, the reason I was vague about the specifics in Athys post was because I simply didn't know for a fact and was unable to find anything highlighting the exact circumstances with a quick Google.

As you highlight dumping waste on 3rd party property is fly tipping and illegal and I suspect this is what Athy is doing in the eyes of the law

39 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I very much doubt that.

As you highlight dumping waste on 3rd party property is fly tipping and illegal and I suspect this is what Athy is doing in the eyes of the law

I suspect that you're wrong.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Illegal Dumping

Fly tipping, also known as fly dumping is the illegal dumping of the waste instead of using legal methods to dispose of the waste like local council’s bin collection service or recycling centres. All actions that involve dumping of any types of waste onto land which has don’t have a license to accept the waste is considered illegal.

Terminology

Illegal dumping differs from littering in the way the waste is discarded and by the kind and quantity of the rubbish. Throwing a cigarette on the ground could be an example of littering. On the other hand, emptying a trash bin without permission in a public or private location is thought to be illegal dumping.

The term fly-tipping consists of the verb fly which means to throw away casually (“on the wing”), and from the word tip which has a meaning of “throwing something out of a vehicle”.

A quick search found this from North Norfolk council...

Fly Tipping of Garden Waste

Posted November 2017

From Environmental Protection – North Norfolk District Council

Fly Tipping of Garden Waste

Fly tipping of waste is a growing problem; we are working hard to reduce the illegal dumping of waste in North Norfolk.

Fly-tipping is defined as the ‘illegal deposit of any waste onto land that does not have a licence to accept it’. Various types of waste is fly tipped, including; general household waste; white goods (fridges, freezers and washing machines); construction rubbish (demolition and home improvement rubbish); and garden waste.

Instances of fly tipping of garden waste are on the increase, with more reports being received both on highway verges and on private land. We need to make you aware that although garden waste is biodegradable, it is still classed as waste, and it is still an offence to illegally deposit it under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 Section 33.

Garden waste can mean any waste coming from your garden such as grass cuttings, tree branches, etc

• Greenie 1

Interesting wrinkle here - if @Athy has riparian rights, does dropping his garden waste in the water over his own property count as fly tipping?

33.(2) Subject to subsection (2A) below, paragraphs (a) and (b) of subsection (1) above do not apply in relation to household waste from a domestic property which is treated, kept or disposed of within the curtilage of the property.

It's still a very antisocial thing to do to the waterway though!

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Interesting wrinkle here - if @Athy has riparian rights, does dropping his garden waste in the water over his own property count as fly tipping?

33.(2) Subject to subsection (2A) below, paragraphs (a) and (b) of subsection (1) above do not apply in relation to household waste from a domestic property which is treated, kept or disposed of within the curtilage of the property.

It's still a very antisocial thing to do to the waterway though!

I have riparian rights over a waterway but the curtilage on my land registry 'map' does not include 'half of the waterway'. It simply shows the land boundary.

Riparian rights are not 'ownership' they simply allow the adjacent land owner to make use of the waterway :

The concept of riparian rights refers to the rights of all landowners whose properties connect to a running body of water, such as a river or stream. More specifically, the term refers to their right to make “reasonable use” of the water that flows either through or over their properties.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You obviously intend to ignore Rob-M and my posts offering proof that you are undertaking an illegal act.

Some might say that posts which accuse members of committing criminal acts are best ignored.

Furthermore, some would say that they should not have been made in the first place.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Some might say that posts which accuse members of committing criminal acts are best ignored.

Furthermore, some would say that they should not have been made in the first place.

And, others would say that if you intend committing a criminal act it is better not to announce on a public forum

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And, others would say that if you intend committing a criminal act it is better not to announce on a public forum

It's a good thing that no one did, then, I'm sure you'll agree.