Request for a narrowboat measurement: Gunnel to Ceiling Edge

tribejodhpurs

Featured Posts

Hello fellow boaters. 

In order to commission a painted sign for my narrowboat, I need one approximate dimension: The height of the flat exterior bulkhead, from the gunnel to the ceiling edge. 

I assume this is fairly standard across most narrowboats, so could someone please tell me this approximate figure? 

Many thanks, 

Sam. 

22 minutes ago, tribejodhpurs said:

Hello fellow boaters. 

In order to commission a painted sign for my narrowboat, I need one approximate dimension: The height of the flat exterior bulkhead, from the gunnel to the ceiling edge. 

I assume this is fairly standard across most narrowboats, so could someone please tell me this approximate figure? 

Many thanks, 

Sam. 

Do you really mean bulkhead or perhaps you mean cabin  side. Cabin sides end at the gunnel. Bulkheads go cross wise on the boat and they usually sit on a deck of some kind.

Like wise the ceiling (deckhead) is inside the boat and is likely to be an inch or two below the roofline so I suspect you actually mean gunnel to roof dimension.

Edited to add, the dimension I think you want varies considerably so a "tug" style boat is different to a modern production boat so perhaps you could give us a clue about the type of boat.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, tribejodhpurs said:

Hello fellow boaters. 

Many thanks, 

Sam. 

Do you mean the side of the boat, from the gunnel up to the roof edge?

There’s no such thing as standard on a canal boat, btw.

Edited by Stilllearning

Many thanks for both of your replies. I apologise for the incorrect terminology being used. 

Perhaps the dimension I'm described as 'the height of the bit of a narrowboat on which a sign is usually painted'. For example, in this arbitrarily-selected photo, the distance between the gunnel (which appears to be painted red) up to the roof edge (where the mans hand is resting). 

I understand there's no definitive standard for this, but it must be within a range. I assume there's a maximum height/draft limit for the network, and so this dimension is fairly consistent. Accepting that there's no standard, though... 

Could someone please measure this dimension on their own narrowboat, and tell me what it is? 

Thanks again. 

Sam. 

The Black Countryman canal trips - Boat Trip in STOURBRIDGE, West Midlands  Region - Meet Birmingham

1 minute ago, Stilllearning said:

I have clearly misunderstood the above wording.

No problem, I just need someone to please measure the side of their narrowboat, from the gunnel up to the roof edge, and tell me what it is. 

Just to give me a rough figure. 

Many thanks in advance to anyone who would be able to do that. 🙂

1 m

This is one thing I also like to know when looking at a possible purchase - or to be more precise, the height of the tiller arm, which is to some extent dependent on this measurement. Too high, and it can become really uncomfortable after a long day steering.

• Greenie 1

89cm from the gunnel to the top of the cabin, then the handrails make it 94cm. Note many boats have raised handrails at the corner of the cabin side/ roof but have drainage slots in so that may reduce the available height. In the random photo you selected you can see such a drainage slot in the red handrail just between the two painted panels.

Edited by PeterF

1 minute ago, PCSB said:

1.015m

Thanks, but I was looking for something a lot more vague than this. Not to worry, I'll just round this figure up to 2m and then take an average of everyone's extremely helpful readings. Keep going guys, I appreciate you all. 

1 minute ago, PeterF said:

89cm from the gunnel to the top of the cabin, then the handrails make it 94cm. Note many boats have raised handrails at the corner of the cabin side/ roof but have drainage slots in so thst may make a difference. In the random photo you selected you can see such a drainage slot in the red handrail just between the two painted panels.

Thanks, great intel. That drainage hole was a good spot. 

Excluding outliers, it looks as though I'm looking at creating a design about 1m high. Thank you all so much. 

1 minute ago, tribejodhpurs said:

Thanks, but I was looking for something a lot more vague than this. Not to worry, I'll just round this figure up to 2m and then take an average of everyone's extremely helpful readings. Keep going guys, I appreciate you all. 

Is that meant to be a joke?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, tribejodhpurs said:

I'm guessing this was in jest ...

1 minute ago, Slow and Steady said:

Does it? Mine doesn't, it's trad stern but the tiller doesn't overlap the cabin.

I think I'd find that uncomfortable standing in the rear hatch area and having to reach back to the tiller. Mine overlaps by only a few inches, but seems to make all the difference comfort wise - in fact I reckon all the boats I've owned were set up that way. 

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

I think I'd find that uncomfortable standing in the rear hatch area and having to reach back to the tiller. Mine overlaps by only a few inches, but seems to make all the difference comfort wise - in fact I reckon all the boats I've owned were set up that way. 

I couldn't do that, maybe that's why my tiller extension is only about a foot long, I'll have to check! :thinking:

17 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I think the whole post is a joke.  Has the Op ever looked at a few narrow boats?

No it's not. reading through posts on thie (these) forums, there are 'hordes' of newcomers who don't understand (not unreasonably) that narrowboats is / are a craft industry - at leasdt it was until several builders started to make boats in bulk - thus for older boats at least there are no absolutes. 'Tis part of the charm.

Even so having got a height might I suggest that it is quiet usual to put a lining box on the cabin sides because that tehds to make the boat look less boxy/ Probably out of date but I think a premade sign would not include this - not the least because its'easy' to do that your sself ..

I'm not explaining well. Have a look on boats for sale on "the duck" and you'll se what I'm trying to say.