Help identifying porthole make

Bob Chamberlain

Featured Posts

I've recently bough a narrowboat and one of the top hopper portholes (in the bathroom) has previously had the top part replaced with a plain piece of glass.  There is no catch fitted and it is wedged in place.  I'd like to get a proper replacement but don't know the manufacturer.  After some searches I thought it was Caldwells but it turns out not to be and they don't know who's it is either.  Here's some pictures of the other ones.  The top glass measures exactly 11 1/2" across the flat and the porthole itself is twelve inches diameter.  Many thanks!

IMG_1711.jpeg

IMG_1693 2.jpeg

Have you asked the boat builder? 

It sort of looks like it might be an East West marine boat. Someone on here did find a source for the window clips but I think they are different from the porthole clips. 

There was a thread about it. 

Of course it's probably a different boat builder anyway. 

The thread was here 

And there was one comment which was a good one I thought and would work regardless of who the original builder or fitter was: 

"Hi all , Email some narrow boat window companies to see if they were taking or have taken any out. Worked for me 👍"

Edited by magnetman

Our Mel Davis built boat (late 90s) has got the same, or at least very similar portholes with removable top sections. 2 different sizes as well. Ours are black anodised finish frames.

Can't help with a manufacturer though, but if you find out please let me know !

3 hours ago, Bob Chamberlain said:

I've recently bough a narrowboat and one of the top hopper portholes (in the bathroom) has previously had the top part replaced with a plain piece of glass.  There is no catch fitted and it is wedged in place.  I'd like to get a proper replacement but don't know the manufacturer.  After some searches I thought it was Caldwells but it turns out not to be and they don't know who's it is either.  Here's some pictures of the other ones.  The top glass measures exactly 11 1/2" across the flat and the porthole itself is twelve inches diameter.  Many thanks!

Looks very like ones we had albeit over 20 years ago

www.seaglaze.co.uk

IMG_1711.jpeg

IMG_1693 2.jpeg

Well....

I read the manual for the boat cover to cover and there's lots of information but nothing about windows!  Just as I got notification of magnetman's reply I was actually on the phone to Stowe Hill Marine (the builders) and they were incredibly helpful.  He pulled the build file and it turns out that they are Channelglaze portholes - so I shall give them a call now.

Many thanks for the replies people!

• Greenie 3