Epping Classic Stove Spares

Featured Posts

So that leaves nobody producing proper back cabin stoves then. Brinklow produced a batch a few years ago, and said there would be more to follow, but I haven't heard of any progress.

I guess the market is too small to be worth setting up production.

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

So that leaves nobody producing proper back cabin stoves then. Brinklow produced a batch a few years ago, and said there would be more to follow, but I haven't heard of any progress.

Not a small market if you consider the shepherd's huts that are used for glamping in

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

Not a small market if you consider the shepherd's huts that are used for glamping in

But shepherds huts and the like have a wider choice of stove. They are not constrained to a maximum of about 24 inches wide, they don't necessarily need an oven, and if they do have one it can be on either side. The requirements for a proper back cabin stove are much more specific.

It is less to do with the size of the market and more likely the dearth of jobbing foundries who can produce a short run batch of parts and fettle them. 

Small foundries have been hammered by Environmental and H&S legislation, followed by a steep rise in the cost of energy.  This combines with a general lack of a small batch engineering demand as that has either died, or been sent to India and China, to mean that the foundries have not thought it worth staying open.

If you can find a foundry, the patterns exist  so getting some cast should not then he difficult.  You could try Bridport Foundry, once you have persuaded someone to let you borrow the patterns.  For something  simple to mould they may be able to use an original (temporarily repaired if needed) as a pattern.

Alternatively look for a laser scanner service to scan an original to give you a 3D model.  You can then get a printing service to 3D print a pattern from the model.

N

I was given a number some time ago for Epping spares. 
Im not sure about the etiquette of giving out phone numbers on a public forum. But P.M. me for further details. 
it might well be a long shot but nothing ventured.. 

13 hours ago, David Mack said:

Yes Simon showed me the prototype and I was quite inclined to buy one but they were not in production at the time.  

I guess the price Simon mentioned of £1300 rather dun for it, back in 2016 or thereabouts, which is a shame as it struck me as quite reasonable given a high volume production Squirrel was £800-ish back then.

21 hours ago, harrybsmith said:

I understand Joe Fuller has the CAD for them and is able to reproduce them, I have his number, message me for it 

Hi I can't message any one until 10 posts I'm afraid... 

On 23/06/2022 at 13:22, frangar said:

Try this chap on eBay 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175309780774?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=U92L1nQ_SI6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=vBzH7WUPSoW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I was very happy with my smoke box and he said he could do other parts. 

I have my fingers crossed with this gent he says he's going to cast ons for me.

• 11 months later...

Are there any updates on this please?  Is there anyone now doing spares for the Epping - I have found a suitable smoke box on eBay (albeit not an exact match but will keep stove functioning) but am also looking for hot plates and some other bits.  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, JaneRidd said:

Are there any updates on this please?  Is there anyone now doing spares for the Epping - I have found a suitable smoke box on eBay (albeit not an exact match but will keep stove functioning) but am also looking for hot plates and some other bits.  Thanks.

You could try these guys https://www.mmarineware.co.uk/ . They are part of the HNBC stand at Crick this weekend and have a smoke box on display.

If I wanted to bring them back on the market ( and I am an engineer ) I would redesign it to welded steel construction with only the doors and smoke box as castings, plasma cut the whole lot as a kit ,the end result would be more airtight and cheaper. 

I already made one like this using parts from a scapped Epping it worked out very well. I have another set of Epping parts but no time to build another one this year.