Caldon Canal

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Because it's now requested, not required. There's a difference.

CRT don't check them so they're irrelevant, but grumbling about apparently unlicensed boats gives a lot of boaters much pleasure so they still issue them for nondisplay purposes.

That's fine, but why are we asked to print and display them? 

On 23/06/2022 at 10:14, David Mack said:

"We no longer use our online boat checker, having reviewed the usage, of all the boats checked over the review period, 37% were unlicensed but already in our enforcement process. The other 63% were either licensed, in places where a licence wasn't required or the details were incorrect."

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/buy-your-boat-licence/boat-licence-customer-support-team/how-we-tackle-evasion

Im not clear what CRT are meaning here. Last year we passed a crt employee with an IPad checking we were licenced as he walked past Star City as well as the duration of mooring there. 

Then the other day met a crt employee going round at Venetian Marina and surrounding area who had an iPad and was checking licences, He wasn’t interested in pieces of paper. I specifically asked him what he was checking for (in a nice way I hasten to add🤣

36 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Im not clear what CRT are meaning here.

There used to be facility on the CRT website where you could input a boat's index number, and it told you if the boat was licenced. But since CRT's own checks already identify the vast majority of unlicensed boats, it was withdrawn.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

There used to be facility on the CRT website where you could input a boat's index number, and it told you if the boat was licenced. But since CRT's own checks already identify the vast majority of unlicensed boats, it was withdrawn.

It's still there, though CRT said it wasn't. No idea if they still update it  though - be quite like them to just leave the page up. Can't say I've ever cared enough to note boat numbers and rush to check them... I suspect most unlicensed boats either show no numbers or use somebody else's.

I like the Caldon. It's probably my favourite canal. The promise of stopping at the Black Lion at Consall Forge seems to spur the crew to considerable efforts on the locks too!

Alec

10 hours ago, Paul C said:

Never mind..........is it open? Was it closed? (When?)

Was closed, but now it's open. However it is likely to be closed later this year (mainline, not sure about the Leek branch) for up to six months for maintenance. Ask local moorers in the Holly Bush pub about the great crested newt habitat recently discovered nearby and which is likely to delay construction work on a bridge.

Having just parted with nigh on £1k I shall display my licence....why wouldn't you unless you are either daft or one of those that feel you are entitled....which does seem to apply to a few on here and on the cut.....As has been said its quite easy to get them printed if you dont have a printer....I see no advantage in not displaying a licence apart from to be a bit of an arse...again theres a few on here.....

• Greenie 1

From CRT's latest (July) Boaters' Update:

Please help us by displaying your boat’s index number, licence and name

Most boats correctly display their index number licence and boat name, but recently we have started to see an increase in those that don’t. It’s important to display your boat’s details so that in the event of an accident or problem with the boat, we can identify and contact the boater concerned. It also reduces the time spent by our boat licence rangers, who lose time when trying to identify non-displaying boats. If we can’t identify your boat, we aren’t able to accurately record sightings and this may impact on future licensing decisions, particularly if you don’t have a home mooring.

Edited by Sea Dog
Remove cock up.