Winsford Flashes, information please

DaveR

Featured Posts

We are to take Legacy down onto the Weaver & I can not find any information if the Winsford Flashes are navigable for a narrow boat with 2' 3" draught.

Can I go beyond the Winsford Marina?

Thanks

Dave R

Depends on how much fresh there is in the river really, and I believe even then  there are shallow spots in the lower flash. I would want company and/or a local expert if going off piste.

The Winsford visitor moorings are fine, for depth, generally, though you have to go canny after CRT's water ends at the bridge by the pub.  

N

21 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Depends on how much fresh there is in the river really, and I believe even then  there are shallow spots in the lower flash. I would want company and/or a local expert if going off piste.

The Winsford visitor moorings are fine, for depth, generally, though you have to go canny after CRT's water ends at the bridge by the pub.  

N

Yep, and that’s the fun bit. 

Have a go and see. 

Did this with Goliath and I was at the front poking the bottom with the stick. Its quite a hard bottom and gets shallow quickly if you hit the wrong spot, but its worth doing and if done slowly and carefully should be fine. You wont get far beyond the marina (unless there is a hidden channel), but will be able to turn.

The pub was rather good but had an enforced change of management. Please report back.

• Happy 1

I am up there now, been here for a couple of days, The Red Lion has had a make over, very clean and tidy, friendly staff and good food, six boats have turned up here but only one spent the night.

Every boat turning in here kept very close to the bank none ventured into the flash.

I went about 1/4 mile in with three other boats very slow with pole prodders at the bow, wouldn't want to do it on my own. Yesterday a guy in a inflatable dinghy came back after a couple of hours and said that is was not deep, he ran aground a few times.

I was told the deepest water is on the port side near to the bank. 

Think if I wanted to explore the flashes I'd take a tender or standup paddleboard. The "marina" entrance is fine because they've dredged it although even that bit's shallow, but the rest was never intended to be navigable, the bottom is soft and you're not getting any help from the bank or a passing boat if you go too far

Once when we were up the Weaver we met a boat at a water point.  They said we will stop filling and let you top up.   Very kind.   It turned out they were having to refill the water tank having been stuck in the flash.  They had tried CRT and RCR for help.  Neither offered the ability to assist and suggested they emptied the water tank and reversed as the only way they might get out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...