TV Show looking for boaters to share money saving tips

Gabby_Boating

Featured Posts

TV Show is currently looking for people who lead an alternative lifestyle, that would be happy to appear on a Channel 5 series to share their hints and tips for saving money. Food sharing initiatives, foraging, coupons....and anything more inventive is great! For this one, they're looking for people who receive some kind of income from the government be it PIP or child benefit. 

Email bargains(at)itnproductions.com for more info! 

Promo from Series 1: 

JH-bargain-brits-flyer-220322.jpeg

5 hours ago, Gabby_Boating said:

For this one, they're looking for people who receive some kind of income from the government be it PIP or child benefit. 

I would have assumed that those receiving an "income from the government" were folk employed by them. You live and learn, eh? 

• Greenie 1

I feel sorry for OP, getting a hard time on here, so far.

I can't help though as I have always fallen outside what my brother describes as the safety net, a net with holes so big most people fall through.

• Sad 1

It’s bullshit TV, conditioning us to live on Jack Shit.

They won’t include foraging for cigarette butts?

It’s not as common these days as it used to be. But there are some

folk still picking them up. 

And I guess mine sweeping in pubs is also a kind of foraging but on the decline?

Edited by Goliath
  • Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, Goliath said:

They won’t include foraging for cigarette butts?

It’s not as common these days as it used to be. But there are some

folk still picking them up. 

And I guess mine sweeping in pubs is also a kind of foraging but on the decline?

I remember years ago (30?) we used to nick stuff from the supermarket skips, until they dyed it all blue. 
Does any of that go on now?

36 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I remember years ago (30?) we used to nick stuff from the supermarket skips, until they dyed it all blue. 
Does any of that go on now?

The bins have locks now, though not all of course. 

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

That's a very unsympathetic view.

Some people, especially those on lower incomes. are feeling a financial pinch at present, and a programme which shows them how to live on less money is far from being "bullshit", it is positive and helpful.

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

Money saving tip:

Don't waste your money getting a boat if you want somewhere to live, get a council house! FAR cheaper and you'll be quids in.

Its been a long night Mike.

Go to bed.

45 minutes ago, Athy said:

Some people, especially those on lower incomes. are feeling a financial pinch at present, and a programme which shows them how to live on less money is far from being "bullshit", it is positive and helpful.

Yes but....public service TV went out of fashion about 30 years ago, modern TV  is about entertainment, often downmarket "reality" entertainment, and often about making the people taking part look like idiots or self centred fame seaking "unpleasant people" (its a family forum 😀 ) so I personally would steer well clear of this sort of thing.  We have in the past been approached about appearing in a TV series, I declined then and would certainly decline now.

• Greenie 4

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

Yes but....public service TV went out of fashion about 30 years ago, modern TV  is about entertainment, often downmarket "reality" entertainment, and often about making the people taking part look like idiots or self centred fame seaking "unpleasant people" (its a family forum 😀 ) so I personally would steer well clear of this sort of thing.  We have in the past been approached about appearing in a TV series, I declined then and would certainly decline now.

Totally agree and this is why the trickle of journalists and TV producers posting here tend to get a rough ride. They are generally starting out with a preconceived idea and looking for supporting material, not material which contradicts or disproves their preconception. 

The OP fits this description very well, prima facie.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

or condescending 

‘financial pinch’ 😂

do you live in the real world?

a financial pinch ffs

the government are giving hand outs to all house holders!

hardly a ‘pinch’

folk using food banks and you call it a ‘financial pinch’

Edited by Goliath
  • Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Goliath said:

or condescending 

‘financial pinch’ 😂

a financial pinch ffs

hardly a ‘pinch’

The government have ignored the triple lock which promised to keep pensions in line with inflation, so instead of ten percent increase it allocated three percent.

So I am now paying ten pounds a week more for groceries, increased pricing for diesel and coal will add another £10.00.

That's quite a lot of money to find, and of course I don't qualify for any handout on my electricity, or anything else, unless you know better?

As for savings  Aldi have good prices,  and Tesco have an Aldi price checked range, other than that, I can't think of any savings I can make without moving out of my comfort zone.  Saving money by buying everything from the Savers range is compromising on both mental and physical health, so not a route I want to go down.. 

Public transport prices are already very high, so I won't be going anywhere, unless emergency, I don't often buy snacks when out and about, so I can't save on that. 

I understand I can get cash by changing my bank account, but I like to stay under the radar as banks can't cope with nomads.

MtB has some idea that local authorities will house those who need housing, they won't.  Their best housing stock was sold off years ago, and the remaining old stock needs ongoing maintenance.

I once foraged  parsnips from a field, but not seen any foraging opportunity this year, elderflowers are available to make lemonade, just add sugar,  lemons,,  and boiling water, not a great saving. Only boil enough water for the immediate need. Shower when water is warm. Buy butter, not spread as it won't go mouldy.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 2

7 hours ago, dmr said:

often downmarket "reality" entertainment, and often about making the people taking part look like idiots Yes

Yes, I watched 'Gogglebox' a few times and that certainly achieved that goal; though to be fair it did discover Scarlett Moffatt who appears to have both a brain and a personality.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Yes, I watched 'Gogglebox' a few times and that certainly achieved that goal; though to be fair it did discover Scarlett Moffatt who appears to have both a brain and a personality.

I liked Gogglebox, amusing, I thought it was a good idea. I must have given up before the aforementioned. I've no idea what she does now.

7 hours ago, Goliath said:

or condescending 

‘financial pinch’ 😂

a financial pinch ffs

hardly a ‘pinch’

Yes, I do live in the real world; is there another?

I take "feeling the pinch" to mean "experiencing financial hardship" or "having difficulty making ends meet"; this is surely an accurate description of the situation in which some British people currently find themselves.

I can see nothing "condescending" about the O.P.'s planned programme. I wonder if, for example, you would consider 'Gardeners' World' condescending because Monty Don is an experienced gardener who offers guidance and tips to people who are less green-fingered.

Gabby, who has been a member here for a couple of years, has approached us in good faith and should be encouraged, not pooh-poohed.

Edited by Athy

26 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, I do live in the real world; is there another?

I take "feeling the pinch" to mean "experiencing financial hardship" or "having difficulty making ends meet"; this is surely an accurate description of the situation in which some British people currently find themselves.

I can see nothing "condescending" about the O.P.'s planned programme. I wonder if, for example, you would consider 'Gardeners' World' condescending because Monty Don is an experienced gardener who offers guidance and tips to people who are less green-fingered.

Gabby, who has been a member here for a couple of years, has approached us in good faith and should be encouraged, not pooh-poohed.

The idea that all that's needed is to "do DIY, forage in skips, go on holiday for £9.50" is indeed condescending. Those "tips" are fine for people that are "feeling the pinch" but completely ignore that this level of financial hardship is a tier UP from the misery of real poverty. It's fashionable middle class poverty.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

The idea that all that's needed is to "do DIY, forage in skips, go on holiday for £9.50" is indeed condescending. 

That is debatable; but, as the programme has not been made yet, we do not know what ideas will be proffered by its participants. Let us not pre-judge: you never know, we may all be able to learn something from it.