Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

Thank you.

Just a foretaste of what technology was to bring. Graf Von Zeppelin never conceived his aircraft to be used in warfare, the German government did that. His was a dream of commercial flights, and to that end one actually circumnavigated the globe in the late 1920's when Zeppelin was in his 90's.

https://www.airships.net/lz127-graf-zeppelin/history/

57 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Thank you.

Just a foretaste of what technology was to bring. Graf Von Zeppelin never conceived his aircraft to be used in warfare, the German government did that. His was a dream of commercial flights, and to that end one actually circumnavigated the globe in the late 1920's when Zeppelin was in his 90's.

https://www.airships.net/lz127-graf-zeppelin/history/

That website disagrees with you. According to https://www.airships.net/airship-people/count-ferdinand-von-zeppelin/ Zeppelin viewed his invention as primarily for military use, and it was the army and navy chiefs who were less enthusiastic. He viewed commercial use with disdain.

And he never saw the 1929 circumnavigation - he died aged 78 in 1917.

Where the Bradley depot is has a long history and that history goes back to the time of John Wilkinson when he extended his original iron furnace operation up to the canal.

The pumping plant that originated in Wilkinson's time was improved at the time of the South Staffordshire Mine Drainage.

Edited by Heartland

6 hours ago, David Mack said:

That website disagrees with you. According to https://www.airships.net/airship-people/count-ferdinand-von-zeppelin/ Zeppelin viewed his invention as primarily for military use, and it was the army and navy chiefs who were less enthusiastic. He viewed commercial use with disdain.

And he never saw the 1929 circumnavigation - he died aged 78 in 1917.

I have misread part of the website that suggested to me Zeppelin was in his 90's. It was in 1928 that he WOULD have been in his 90's.

As to his military intentions, he was indeed thinking of his crafts efforts in wartime use, but prior to, it was passenger carrying that took precedence, as it did after WWI. It seems he fell out with the decisions of the military and naval chiefs. This I also read elsewhere some long time ago, which may have led me up a 'wrong' road.

6 hours ago, Heartland said:

And what is the significance of the boat ?

It’s an early example of a pedalo. 
You’ll find by the 1850’s a swan’s neck was introduced to the front. 
And by the 1870’s  this particular model had swan wings too. 
Unfortunately by the turn of the century Health and Safety had restricted passenger number to just 2 or 4. 

Edited by Goliath
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, john6767 said:

OK I will come clean, you were fooled by thinking of places by the canal, it is on New Street.  It just tickled me that it was the same type as CRT were installing at the time I spotted it.

2EE48BD5-3470-4000-8C6F-FDE004B8EA09.jpeg

Yes but its got a lock on it so it couldn't be CRT

It would seem that Goliath has put the answer in a box on Boxing day, pity it is the wrong box- may he looks again at a previous post of a David Cox painting

The image is Castle Mill Basin when parties were taken to the Limestone Tunnels using one of the craft used to convey limestone out of the mines. These craft were much smaller than a narrow boat and rate recognition as a separate type.

On 21/06/2022 at 14:55, Heartland said:

In response to GOLIATH

Any ideas as to this view. The clue being near single locks that replaced a James Brindley Triple Riser

Boat 1.jpg

As to the painted water cans, it is interesting to see no boat name on them and also ponder on how often a mop handle was painted

The source of the image is RCHS Collection

It took me a while to recognise this view of Middlewich as the buildings in the background have either changed dramatically with a faux half-timber frontage, or been demolished. The Boar's Head to the left of the white-fronted building is still recognisable.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Goliath said:

where am I?

I’m not sure I am where I think I am,

I was expecting to see something more?395BABC3-1E7D-4C2B-AB1A-ED8431298742.jpeg.1239de8a2a5c47b55210e0dbd1d3141a.jpeg

Old Main Line in Oldbury. Whimsey Bridge in the background.

Were you thinking you were going to find a boatyard at Valencia Wharf? Or maybe a fishing tackle shop?

Edited by Captain Pegg

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Old Main Line in Oldbury. Whimsey Bridge in the background.

Where you thinking you were going to find a boatyard at Valencia Wharf?

but what was opposite the wharf?

what was I expecting to see?

which is why I’m wondering if I were where I thought I were

Edited by Goliath

16 minutes ago, Goliath said:

but what was opposite the wharf?

what was I expecting to see?

which is why I’m wondering if I were where I thought I were

The eastern end of the Oldbury Loop. Virtually no trace now remaining.

Capture.PNG.550ce0ff074f8f4c1301c5ce082e5a9b.PNG

Edited by David Mack