Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

49 minutes ago, Graham_Robinson said:

You trying every arm on the North Oxford? 😄

brinklow.jpg

Well my first answer of Brownsover was close so I was working north as I’m not aware of anywhere south that’s still in water.

I did know the extent of the loop at Brinklow. A-level Geography field study 1987. A good year for all of us Coventrians.

On 05/06/2023 at 19:44, Neil TNC said:

Yes the Welland. We moored up for the night at Fosdyke Bridge. Then went up next morning on a rising tide, no problem.

On 05/06/2023 at 19:44, Neil TNC said:

Yes Neil the Welland. 

We moored up at Fosdyke Bridge for the night then went up and through the lock next morning on a rising tide. No problem. 

As for the local EA, staff I think they are just plain lazy.

I was told several local boats had left the navigation due to the EA staff being unreliable in regard to the lock. 
In addition LA seem to have no idea of what an asset they have or how to develop it.

18 hours ago, oboat said:

Yes Neil the Welland. 

We moored up at Fosdyke Bridge for the night then went up and through the lock next morning on a rising tide. No problem. 

As for the local EA, staff I think they are just plain lazy.

I was told several local boats had left the navigation due to the EA staff being unreliable in regard to the lock. 
In addition LA seem to have no idea of what an asset they have or how to develop it.

Yes, the "new" marina at at Fossdyke makes it much easier to do. Back in 2001 when we did it, the only place to moor up was on the barge moored at the "stone quay"....only when we arrived the bloody barge was out! Interesting and strangely magical night tied to a couple of rusty hawsers, wondering if we would bottom out. As a matter of interest did the EA lads let you through Fulney on a rising tide, I assume there was no attempt to use it as as a lock and you went through on a level? Back then we did the Coronation Channel, we weren't meant to, ISTR they have buoyed off the entrance???

5 hours ago, Neil TNC said:

Yes, the "new" marina at at Fossdyke makes it much easier to do. Back in 2001 when we did it, the only place to moor up was on the barge moored at the "stone quay"....only when we arrived the bloody barge was out! Interesting and strangely magical night tied to a couple of rusty hawsers, wondering if we would bottom out. As a matter of interest did the EA lads let you through Fulney on a rising tide, I assume there was no attempt to use it as as a lock and you went through on a level? Back then we did the Coronation Channel, we weren't meant to, ISTR they have buoyed off the entrance???

No. We had to use the lock the pic shows us waiting for it to fill.
The now pontoon is great provided it has room. Thus a booking is or was requiered.
If the C Channel is buoyed off dose that mean the ferry from the town centre is no longer running?
It was very popular when I was there.
When the C Channel was cut by the NRA one of the conditions was that it should be made available to all. No restrictions! 
A consultant even made a recommendation that part of it be used for moorings.

As I said the LA have no idea of how to develop the river, The Lincolnshire Waterway Partnership were doing a great job on both the Welland and the Glenn until the LA cuts. Then all the work they did was virtually thrown down the drain.

PS You moored up next to us in Boston and we followed you up the Black Sluice a day or so after your trip. Pity we could not have gone together.

30 minutes ago, oboat said:

No. We had to use the lock the pic shows us waiting for it to fill.
The now pontoon is great provided it has room. Thus a booking is or was requiered.
If the C Channel is buoyed off dose that mean the ferry from the town centre is no longer running?
It was very popular when I was there.
When the C Channel was cut by the NRA one of the conditions was that it should be made available to all. No restrictions! 
A consultant even made a recommendation that part of it be used for moorings.

As I said the LA have no idea of how to develop the river, The Lincolnshire Waterway Partnership were doing a great job on both the Welland and the Glenn until the LA cuts. Then all the work they did was virtually thrown down the drain.

PS You moored up next to us in Boston and we followed you up the Black Sluice a day or so after your trip. Pity we could not have gone together.

Yes, it would have made it easier. We tried to do Black Sluice a couple of years ago, but that was after Sam the Waterways Patroller left, just a lot of talk by John at Northampton Marina, but he never got out to do it for us (overulled?). Still shown as stoppage, debris in chamber, but think the real reason was that Sam was never replaced. We also tried to do Foss again last year, but IWA said impossible as not enough water in river beyond the lock.

21 hours ago, Neil TNC said:

Yes, it would have made it easier. We tried to do Black Sluice a couple of years ago, but that was after Sam the Waterways Patroller left, just a lot of talk by John at Northampton Marina, but he never got out to do it for us (overulled?). Still shown as stoppage, debris in chamber, but think the real reason was that Sam was never replaced. We also tried to do Foss again last year, but IWA said impossible as not enough water in river beyond the lock.

Did you report your BSN experience with the EA to Dave Pullen ? 

I have been out of that loop due to CV19 I was stuck in Oz for over 2 years, could not get out. 

On 08/06/2023 at 20:44, oboat said:

Did you report your BSN experience with the EA to Dave Pullen ? 

I have been out of that loop due to CV19 I was stuck in Oz for over 2 years, could not get out. 

Yes, reported it, but did not pursue it further as will probably never attempt to go there again as Mrs TNC does not do grief.

Pluto on May 10th showed a 1780 engraving of the Paradise Street wharf in Birmingham

It would seem to be a redrawing of the 1773 Map engraving for the BCN, clearly the load of coal has been replaced by a horse rider.

630920.jpg

Chillington Wharf did cross my mind. 
I came across some old pictures..but I passed it off. 

I’ll have another butchers. 

Another little Google shows Chillington Wharf to fit the bill. 
And of course that’s where you can view the gantries from the canal. 

I can see the connection now. 

Let’s see if you’re right 👍

Edited by Goliath

No it is not anywhere on the BCN head further North. I used the bowling alley there in the late 1960's

To you a massive clue here is a map of the Gasworks that was south of the structure in question. They had some steam locos there then a couple of diesels 

Linacre Lane.jpg