Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, BuckbyLocks said:

I can't recall the name of the film that was made there now. Must have been 72 or 73 I think and it was filmed at night. The illuminations for filming made it like mid summer so it never got dark.

Would that be Cliff Richard's film 'Take Me High' ?

Mike was close with the date of the Gas Street image, it was August 1969.

As to Tipton Railway interchange basin- there were two (see the new Tom Foxon reprint). But it was neither. Whilst the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway did have a broad gauge track at an early date, there is no record of the Great Western Railway Factory Basin having a broad gauge connection. No this is the Great Western Railway Swan Village interchange basin which had sidings from the Swan Village to Great Bridge line. An earlier siding from the Birmingham, Wolverhampton & Dudley Railway (GWR) at Swan Village terminated at another basin opposite. That railway was mixed gauge initially.

The photo came from the veteran, and late, historian Michael Hale, who told me of a rescue of a file from BR, after the line was closed and the track taken up. The file related to the reconstruction of sidings for the improved Swan Village Gas Works. The canal basin at Swan Village linked with the Wednesbury Canal, or Balls Hill Branch and was opposite the branch (the Ridgeacre Canal). It is near the public house/ hotel which is now there and the side bridge for the towpath remains and there is water in the canal.

14 hours ago, John Brightley said:

Would that be Cliff Richard's film 'Take Me High' ?

No John, That was filmed in 1973/4 ish when we were at Norton Canes having the engine replaced. The one in the Rum Runner was a Gangster type film which I never saw. We nearly got thrown out of the cinema in Staines when we watched 'Take Me High' because of the number of impossible direction changes made! Would have liked to have been there to watch that being made. Don't think there were many canal scenes in the Rum Runner one but as they all took place at night I really don't know.

Returning briefly to the post about the lost city at Tipton, I attach 1834 ordnance survey map for Tipton Moat Colliery, which was run by shareholders in the company and covered an area close to the Ocker Hill branch. The 2nd image shows Tithe Survey and the Moat Farm from where the Moat Colliery name originated.

1140071.jpg.c1bef701d547a1a3c14708ca6b6de50b.jpg

Moat Farm.jpg

Edited by Heartland
  • Greenie 1

I particularly like the top map, for placing the foundries/works 👍

Looks like I’ll be going for a walk when I go Tipton again.

I want a better knowledge of the lay of the land around there.

The other area that interests me and I’d like to know better is over where the Dudley canals run above and below each other to Blowers Green and Park Head. I must visit the church that can be spied up above, St Andrew’s Netherton (I think), which I realise can be seen when returning from Hawne Basin. 

Edited by Goliath

The Canals at Parkhead changed over time with the original Dudley Canal reaching there first and terminating near the stream valley. The extension of the canal through 5 locks (originally) reached Dudley Tunnel and then the extension to Selly Oak came next with a junction between 3rd and 4th lock at Parkhead.

On this map the Ordnance Survey was published in 1834 and improved on an earlier version. The private Pensnett Canal had yet to be built.

parkhead.jpg

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

There are many bridges on the waterway and how they were numbered can be a study in itself

This one had the number 55 twice on the structure, but where is it

bridge 1971.jpg

I think doubling up with bridge names/numbers is the latest CRT project 

image.thumb.png.1630f80c764e594dae49adc755d45c25.png

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

There are many bridges on the waterway and how they were numbered can be a study in itself

bridge 1971.jpg

On the keystone at the centre of the arch .. 🤣😅

• Greenie 3

3 hours ago, Heartland said:

bridge 1971.jpg

Is it the bridge between the top two locks at Tardebigge?

CRT claiming 'This is ours'. What a pointless waste. Although it was probably easier to lean over the parapet with some adhesive, than actually clean the original and apply some paint. That would have taken a complete canal closure and several weeks of work for a team of men and scaffolding. False economies.

CRT does seem to waste funds on non-essential work, whether there is a lack of experience or knowledge in their teams that is a factor is a point to be considered.

Yes, 55 Bridge is that to be found at Tardebigge on the Worcester & Birmingham Canal. This was a company challenged by finance with their lengthy construction period.  

On 31/05/2023 at 17:24, oboat said:

Where am I ?

Just been going through my Silver Prop pics & found this but its out of date. But it could be a good quiz question.

IMG_7753.JPG

what we looking at then,

was it, at the time, the end of the navigation?

but now it’s not, and the canal’s been dug up again and now carries on?

🤷‍♀️

I see you’re taking a photo for evidence 

Edited by Goliath

10 hours ago, Goliath said:

what we looking at then,

was it, at the time, the end of the navigation?

but now it’s not, and the canal’s been dug up again and now carries on?

🤷‍♀️

I see you’re taking a photo for evidence 

Not the BCN. The clue is in my attire.

A local in the same location.

SS.png