Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

I think, from where I am now, if that pub were still there I’d almost be able to throw stones at it’s Windows. 

Other than location, I haven’t yet found it’s connection to the canals. 

John Inshaw seems to have been a bit of an inventor and model maker. 
He possibly had his own ‘Steamship’. Is that the connection?

The pub was at Ladywood

Edited by Goliath

24 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I think, from where I am now, if that pub were still there I’d almost be able to throw stones at it’s Windows. 

Other than location, I haven’t yet found it’s connection to the canals. 

John Inshaw seems to have been a bit of an inventor and model maker. 
He possibly had his own ‘Steamship’. Is that the connection?

The pub was at Ladywood

I found reference to John inshaw's notable twin-screw propeller-driven steam boats, http://www.steamershistorical.co.uk/steamers_steam_on_canals.htm

• Happy 1

On 10/05/2023 at 11:52, Goliath said:

That’s interesting. 
That photo of mine was across the Cape loop. That’s why I got off, simply to climb the bank and see the other side. 

I was gonna put the stern into the entrance of the loop. But bottled out. 
77B62EB8-1814-4D2A-B408-82ECA95C78F3.jpeg.4830adffb77eaa2b664008fdec372108.jpeg

I would be interested to know what is happening in the Cape Loop, last time I went past it had a boat in it (or it may have been the adjacent arm) and CRT were having a problem finding out just who owned what bits of it. I almost went in for a look see last week, buy no time. 

On 10/05/2023 at 15:01, Goliath said:

I didn’t realise they came as 

close to each other as they did. 
But of course the Baskerville basins are down a lock. 
So the town was being fed coal on two levels. 

At the Baskerville Basins below and the Old Wharf and the Bloomfield & Newhall Wharfs above. 
The Baskerville Basins would have been down on todays Paradise Street Queensway below Baskerville House ?

And the old wharf above Suffolk Street Queensway?

Am I close?

I need to work it out properly. 
Fascinating stuff. 

Some years ago when building a new car park under Baskerville House the old lock was discovered. Baskerville House was named after Baskerville Wharf, which was named after the Printer who owned it and invented the (very popular) Baskerville Type face. The building was intended to form just a small part of a large new Civic Centre which would have included most of canals in the area. 

Baskerville as John Baskerville lived in the house which predated the basins. It was John Gibson who developed the private canal branch. Baskerville House was where John Baskerville lived. Priestley was there later and the house was badly damaged in the Priestley Riots. The building was later adapted as a factory.

As to John Inshaw yes the pub was near the Oozells Loop in Birmingham. John Inshaw made steam-driven boats and operated a packet boat between Birmingham and Wolverhampton in competition with the Swift Packet. He was injured while he was by Dr Church's engine at Bromsgrove whose boiler exploded there and the crew on the loco were killed. Their gravestones in the nearby churchyard mistakenly show the Norris locomotives used by the Birmingham & Gloucester Railway at that time.

This was one of the early, c1796, plans for the terminus of the Wiener Neustadt Kanal in Vienna, the use of arms reflecting the canal engineer's visit to Birmingham in 1795. The eventual terminus was much shorter with fewer arms.

Original plan for Vienna basin.jpg

On 10/05/2023 at 17:22, Goliath said:

Thanks,

I’ve been boating all day and trying to juggle a few things at same time. 
8 hrs from Town to Tipton. 
Dawdling along, drawing/sketching, taking photos and looking down arms. Climbing embankments and looking for things I don’t think’ve noticed before. 

Now to try and make further sense of it. Maps and books out for the evening. 

Can’t rush along the BCN 👍

Do you have a copy the Deans Map for Birmingham? Only one problem with it acute "What if itis" 

54 minutes ago, oboat said:

Do you have a copy the Deans Map for Birmingham? Only one problem with it acute "What if itis" 

No, not heard of that. 
I guess it’s an old map?

I’m really very ignorant about Brum. 
Which is Embarrassing for someone who was born close enough to know better. 
This evening is the first time I’ve ever visited the Jewellery Quarter. 
🤢

The map was produced and is published by Rochard Dean.   It shows every canal that was planned, authorised or built in the BCN area.  ( There are others for different areas).

Available ( or was) from the HnBOc bookshop, probably from Audlem and maybe even from BCNS, for not much money.  It is good value if you gave an interest in Birnigum and the Black Country canals.

N

A narrow boat with a full-length cabin is no good for carrying merchandise.

And yes, the prompt response for noticing Broad Street tunnel!

That was when the tunnel extended under the Church. So far nobody has commented on the Rum Runner, what was that then? 

But then when that was in existence there were some decent bands and singers about, unlike that failure in Liverpool the other night!

And for Goliath another challenge........

As a clue bits of the canal in the foreground are in "werta". This building was made to replace an earlier facility on the opposite side of the canal and both were served by railway lines. With the earlier facility broad gauge tracks were laid down.

627803.jpg

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Good

If in doubt speak to the Canal Bookshop, Audlem for help.

But, as to the previous post the full size image was-

630800.jpg

When was the little swing bridge removed...?  I am sure I can remember jumping off the boat to open it when I was a kid.

I like the Seamaster on the right. Lovely little boats they are. Some of them had a 3 cylinder BMC diesel in them. 

Being GRP and old most of them will be in landfill by now but one does occasionally see one. 

The silhouette of man and dog strikes me as odd.

Looks like it’s a steel cut out rather than a real man and dog. 
Like them steel cutouts you get elsewhere, particularly on the Dudley Canals. 

Regards The Rum Runner:

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/directory_record/138103/the_rum_runner_site_of

decades before my time 

Edited by Goliath

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

But, as to the previous post the full size image was-

630800.jpg

I'm guessing about 1969/70. Boat on the end is FMC Cyprus/ess and the River class next to it is the Tow, now a hopper and subject of several posts on here recently. This is the Mark One swing bridge which perished long before 1971 when we had to use a builders plank. The bridge was replaced several times and usually ended up needing rescuing from the cut at least once a week when someone tried opening it with a boat rather than sending someone off the boat to swing it before they hit it. It was slightly unbalanced and needed care to operate it safely. It was also a b***** if they didn't close it behind them as it could only be operated from the island. A boat hook was often to be found on the towpath side to aid that problem.

The Rum Runner had a fire door/emergency exit opening on to a short stretch of towpath that was usually open during the evenings so the temperature inside the club could be reduced, but also allowing the racket to escape as well. I can't recall the name of the film that was made there now. Must have been 72 or 73 I think and it was filmed at night. The illuminations for filming made it like mid summer so it never got dark.

3 hours ago, Heartland said:

A narrow boat with a full-length cabin is no good for carrying merchandise.

And yes, the prompt response for noticing Broad Street tunnel!

That was when the tunnel extended under the Church. So far nobody has commented on the Rum Runner, what was that then? 

But then when that was in existence there were some decent bands and singers about, unlike that failure in Liverpool the other night!

And for Goliath another challenge........

As a clue bits of the canal in the foreground are in "werta". This building was made to replace an earlier facility on the opposite side of the canal and both were served by railway lines. With the earlier facility broad gauge tracks were laid down.

627803.jpg

Clutching at straws: I’ll sayTipton Railway Basins.

I have no idea