Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

Yes, Smethwick- Spon Lane were the locks made, but some were taken down under the direction of BCN engineers Samuel Bull and James Bough (1788-1791). I have mentioned this place in an article for Steelworks in the Blackcountryman. 

8 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Yes, Smethwick- Spon Lane were the locks made, but some were taken down under the direction of BCN engineers Samuel Bull and James Bough (1788-1791). I have mentioned this place in an article for Steelworks in the Blackcountryman. 

Arr ok,

I was trying to work out which end it were. Was guessing it was Spon Lane but looking for proof. 

There is some massive concrete structure being built close by now. 
Not quite canalside like your photo but also not much more than a stone’s throw. Huge thing it is. 

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

There is a brief description of these locks in the book below. Maillard, the author, visited the site in 1795.

The large concrete structure now taken down were coal drops for the tramway from Jubilee Colliery, I published a book on that company if any body wants a copy for post and package only contact me to request one. Nigel Chapman was the author.

No this location was the original Smethwick Brass Works site whose owners complained to the BCN committee when locks 4-8 were taken down and their works by lock 4 came to be further from the canal. It seems the old canal bed was adopted as a wharf. When the brass works closed it became later the District Ironworks and later District Iron & Steelworks with different owners.

As a brass works it made calamine brass.

So no beer for Goliath

• Sad 1

A clue - Not BCN 

A clue- a canal under restoration where the canal is lowered through locks to a low point and then rises again

A clue- there was a branch canal above the two locks here

Edited by Heartland

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

A clue - Not BCN 

A clue- a canal under restoration where the canal is lowered through locks to a low point and then rises again

A clue- there was a branch canal above the two locks here

Is it Welsh...?

Yes Welsh

And yes the Eastern Montgomery Canal

As stated before this modern Montgomery is now classed as from Welsh Frankton to Newtown, but in reality, is three canals with three separate heritages.

The slow progress of restoration is to be noted.

Edited by Heartland

It would seem that nobody can recognise this location.

It is on the Eastern Mongomery at Burgeddin. Here the canal descended through 2 locks to a low point at Wern and then climbed again through locks to Welshpool. The Guilsfield Branch came off above the locks

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

It would seem that nobody can recognise this location.

It is on the Eastern Mongomery at Burgeddin. Here the canal descended through 2 locks to a low point at Wern and then climbed again through locks to Welshpool. The Guilsfield Branch came off above the locks

I did a Google image search and found the cottage pictured from a different angle which was why I mentioned Wales but didn't want to post the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Now for another Where I am

May be easy, may be not but those type of Diesel Units are now withdrawn for service and travelling on them was marked by every rail joint having its say!

774777.jpg

Edited by Heartland

My dad used to use the term “Holmfirthing” meaning cheating; this referred to the rules of the Huddersfield & District Cricket League which allowed one professional player per team. Holmfirth CC had a large number of players who didn’t live in Holmfirth and they kept winning the league.

The Colne valley and Holme valley were worlds apart.

35 minutes ago, billh said:

But right canal?

and near Huddersfield?

Anyway, if it's in Yorkshire it's miles away from me in Lancs😃 so how should I know?

You were right first time. The railway carries the service which runs from Huddersfield to Sheffield via Penistone and Barnsley.

But @Heartland is trying to confuse us. This is his image reversed right to left, followed by an image from Google Streetview774777.jpg.fa55e8b8fa4de83d6bd1d454b81afd05.jpg.7199a9b8dba6923da355c1b662d87a1d.jpgScreenshot_20230402-212638_Maps.jpg.769ba71761c8e10d8486b55723628e24.jpg