Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

Nice to see the comments about water cans there were certainly a number of boats that had large families

The Right Honorable Captain Pegg was right about the Nailsworth Branch 

Now a move north to another location. This time a canal-side mill. Any ideas?

From RCHS K Gardiner Collection.....

Mill 2.jpg

Edited by Heartland

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

Snip

I wonder if you can work out where this is ?

And they think paddle boarding might be dangerous!

909053.jpg

I have seen that engraving before and seem to remmeber it being Rushey Lock. I am sure it is above Oxford.

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

Yes, 

I did publish this image in one of my Amberley titles. But yes well done !

I wonder if you can work out where this is ?

And they think paddle boarding might be dangerous!

909053.jpg

I have cheated so wont post the answer

image.png.7c197e253304783ae5115a571d0d2272.png

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

Captain Pegg will know where this was.

boat_inn_grange_rd_sepia.jpg

That’ll be the Boat Inn on Grange Road, Longford; not to be confused with the Boat Inn on Blackhorse Road, Exhall.

The one above was my Granddad’s local, probably confused that it was at 61 Grange Road and he lived at 161 Grange Road.

Unfortunately it was obliterated by the building of the M6 shortly before I was born.

• Greenie 1

On 03/03/2023 at 08:53, Heartland said:

And now another image- not a steam excavator, but a steam locomotive crossing a skew bridge over t cut

Bridge 2.jpg

It’s the wrong way round which confused me, the towpath is on the opposite side.

Just down from there is Wycliffe Colleges old rowing club HQ which I suspect is partly why that stretch remained in water. it’s now by Saul junction and they row on the G&S

I can’t find any images of Wycliffe rowers on the Stroudwater sadly but this is the boathouse 

https://www.cotswoldcanals.net/wycliffe-college-former-boathouse

1 hour ago, GilesMorris said:

>It’s the wrong way round which confused me

Not so sure about that. The number on the locomotive cab looks correct.

I tend to agree. The number looks to be 780?4, a 2-6-0 introduced in 1953, designed at Derby. Weight loco 49t 5cwt. 65 built in that class. Could be 78064, in which case it was the last in that series.

Four are preserved:

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/2mt-78000-78064-2-6-0-br-standard-class-2/

Edited by Derek R.

5 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

It’s the wrong way round which confused me, the towpath is on the opposite side.

Just down from there is Wycliffe Colleges old rowing club HQ which I suspect is partly why that stretch remained in water. it’s now by Saul junction and they row on the G&S

I can’t find any images of Wycliffe rowers on the Stroudwater sadly but this is the boathouse 

The image is correct and not the wrong way around.

View from the other side looking away from Stroud.

Stroudwater Navigation

Edited by IanM
Picture added.

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

I tend to agree. The number looks to be 780?4, a 2-6-0 introduced in 1953, designed at Derby. Weight loco 49t 5cwt. 65 built in that class. Could be 78064, in which case it was the last in that series.

Four are preserved:

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/2mt-78000-78064-2-6-0-br-standard-class-2/

My initial thought was that it was 78064 which spent its last days at Toton depot hence my initial guess of the Nutbrook Canal.

78004 ended it’s days at Gloucester and is the most likely candidate.

Finding the history of railway locomotives is easier than that of canal boats.

4 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Loco is heading east towards Nailsworth. Towpath on the south side of the canal.

Edited by Captain Pegg

Interesting about the house.

I think the weir there was by the islands opposite the entrance to the Beale Park lake.

To be fair there are some pieces of infrastructure on one of the islands which could indicate the presence of a house there at some stage. 

I had thought there was a pillbox but before that it is possible of course there was a dwelling. 

Old maps ?

Possibly something on one of the islands 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17.4&lat=51.50174&lon=-1.10727&layers=225&right=BingSat

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Trying to go under that bridge while standing up would be dangerous!

I wonder where the lady went. Perhaps she was frightened and got off the boat for the exciting thing. Her chair has remained upright. 

15 hours ago, Heartland said:

OK BCN and there were metal works on this site before 1788, so that narrows it down somewhat

Taylors, Taylors, Taylors- but aint none to be had ere- have to goo to Keighley

Been trying to figure it out

Will have another look tomorrow 

Taylors in the Boltmaker?

There was a lock near this site which was removed. I have always believed that the bed of the old lock pound is where the building extends onto and Samuel Simcox had the responsibility of building the locks here. The locks came about because James Brindley did not account for geological conditions there.