Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

Regents canal dock?

5 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Somewhere on the Thames?

😃

where 🤷‍♀️

To be more accurate than my above post I think it is actually the Wilts and Berks junction which is slightly downstream of the Ock. 

Abingdon alms houses and church in the background .

Things move on and yes it seems easy to identify the junction with the Thames & Severn and the River Thames.

As to the Bloomfield Image, I have yet to find a date when the bridge was removed at the junction, but the stop removal was later

Another question to be resolved is how many construction shafts for the Great Coseley Tunnel, there were at least two for the uncompleted original narrow tunnel. The term "Great" was used by the contemporary newspapers

And now the thread has moved on to the Regents Canal etc and other parts of the Thames 

And now another image- not a steam excavator, but a steam locomotive crossing a skew bridge over t cut

Bridge 2.jpg

Edited by Heartland
  • Greenie 1

Regarding Bloomfield Cast Iron Bridge there is an image In Dudley Archives dated c 1965 which might indicate a period of removal as well as the stanking off of the Loop.

300_p3082.jpg

Edited by Heartland

9 hours ago, Heartland said:

Things move on and yes it seems easy to identify the junction with the Thames & Severn and the River Thames.

As to the Bloomfield Image, I have yet to find a date when the bridge was removed at the junction, but the stop removal was later

Another question to be resolved is how many construction shafts for the Great Coseley Tunnel, there were at least two for the uncompleted original narrow tunnel. The term "Great" was used by the contemporary newspapers

And now the thread has moved on to the Regents Canal etc and other parts of the Thames 

And now another image- not a steam excavator, but a steam locomotive crossing a skew bridge over t cut

Bridge 2.jpg

we on the Staff and Worcester here…?

or we back on the BCN?

or neither ? 

Bridge 2.jpg

I want this. 

51 minutes ago, Kiwidad said:

Nope, it’s Chichester Cathedral in the background 

Really? 

Any more modern images to confirm this? 

I had it down as Abingdon Like this

A3E5676B-574C-4336-A51B-7E55D3A2C1A7.jpeg

IMG_20230303_184756.jpg.67c20b29be021f68086d9fe3f9ff660d.jpg

You can even see the bridge over the River Ock confluence and the artist has added white bits to indicate there is some water about. 

14 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I want this. 

Really? 

Any more modern images to confirm this? 

I had it down as Abingdon Like this

A3E5676B-574C-4336-A51B-7E55D3A2C1A7.jpeg

IMG_20230303_184756.jpg.67c20b29be021f68086d9fe3f9ff660d.jpg

You can even see the bridge over the River Ock confluence and the artist has added white bits to indicate there is some water about. 

It is a Stuart Lloyd painting entitled: A barge on the Chichester ship canal

10 hours ago, Heartland said:

Bridge 2.jpg

Nutbrook Canal?

3 hours ago, Heartland said:

Regarding Bloomfield Cast Iron Bridge there is an image In Dudley Archives dated c 1965 which might indicate a period of removal as well as the stanking off of the Loop.

300_p3082.jpg

Interesting. I discovered the BCN just at the tail end of the installation of natural gas pipelines along the towpaths. I don't know if there is a pipeline on this section of the main line, but I understand a number of redundant arms, basins and towpath bridges were removed at that time to facilitate the installation of the pipe (and presumably to reduce BW's maintenance costs). So I wonder if that is the reason this one went.

The natural gas came to the Midlands a little later, but the infrastructure was perhaps a little earlier, so it is a thought to consider 

Regarding the loco on the bridge, a 78xxx BR Standard, think Cotswold Canals 

As to the Stuart Lloyd Painting was it Walter Stuartt Lloyd ? 

When sold in 2014 this painting was titled differently in french basically meaning moored barges. Has the latest seller of this piece of artwork made his own interpretation of the location?

Edited by Heartland

51 minutes ago, Heartland said:

The natural gas came to the Midlands a little later, but the infrastructure was perhaps a little earlier, so it is a thought to consider 

As to the Stuart Lloyd Painting was it Walter Stuartt Lloyd ? 

When sold in 2014 this painting was titled differently in french basically meaning moored barges. Has the latest seller of this piece of artwork made his own interpretation of the location?

Walter Stuart Lloyd yes. There are a number of prints, all titled as I said. But hey, I could be wrong. Here is another, titled ‘Gloucester’

3F245B1D-4DBC-465E-AADE-00B350725A2E.jpeg

In the picture I think is Abingdon there is a wall which looks like the entrance to a disused canal. 

This is exactly where the Wilts and Berks canal would have joined the Thames. Now it is just piling and a road goes past close to the River. 

Closed on 1914 apparently. It was a narrow canal. 

I have not wandered around there but apparently there are some remains of the first lock and also some canal related buildings. 

Looks like the entrance to a dismantled and filled in lock. There may even be a quoin cutout in the stonework I think. 

IMG_20230304_150516.jpg.665ca681df355f90f90d752c3013735c.jpg

Odd that there isn't the other half. Artistic license perhaps?

A low axle weight loco on a bridge that looks like it needs such. So not a major line and in any case it appears to be single track. However the condition and livery of the loco suggests 1960s and most of the Cotswold canals were out of use and water by then.

So my guess is the Stroudwater where it is crossed by the MR's Stonehouse to Nailsworth branch near Ryeford. Loco is BR Std 2MT no. 78004 and the photo was taken between 7/64 and 11/65.

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

On 23/06/2022 at 15:12, Heartland said:

Wow, such detail

It is remarkable the depth of knowledge that exists out there

This photographer who died a few ago went on several trips with CACTUS, which has been mentioned in other threads

On some images Charlie Atkins seem to have had two water cans, how often did that happen ?

Charlie Atkins.jpg

grandads brother Mark Harrison.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

POSS ROSE ON TOP PLANK.jpg

uncle charlie.jpg

Just now, jeannette smith harrison said:

grandads brother Mark Harrison.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

POSS ROSE ON TOP PLANK.jpg

uncle charlie.jpg

Heartland 2x even 3x cans were common for boaters with large family,s as they needed enough water to get from water point to waterpoint photo's are from my family albums sorry apart from the Longdon ones some where family photo's but have been used in books so have not given credit as to not upset anyone 

• Greenie 2