Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Goliath said:

that’s an interesting photo, 

so while Browns Bridge is clearly a recent construction, is the lift bridge in its original position?

or was it brought from elsewhere?

That was brought in from elsewhere too.

The map should explain where my photo was taken, of Woolston Lock on the Mersey & Irwell's New Cut.

With regard to the lift bridge, this is a photo of it in its original position, taken by Roger Lorenz. I was involved with its re-erection, the vertical drive shafts requiring some straightening before it would work again. The whole bridge was slightly lozenge shaped after local kids had swung the counter-balance weights rather too enthusiastically.

Woolston 1.jpg

Tipton, lift bridge 202.jpg

• Greenie 2

Thanks for the clarification Mike, the New Cut in this case being on the Mersey & Irwell Navigation near Warrington and correctly named as the Woolston New Cut

And as said the lift bridge at the Black Country Museum was erected elsewhere. There is also a picture on page 107 Railway Interchange Basin book as written by Tom Foxon. The lift bridge was at Factory Basin, Great Western Railway.

3 hours ago, Heartland said:

Thanks for Goliath to explain in his own words where it is

Now locations change even if the lamp post might remain for a few years---- this a 1990's view before Browns Bridge

634065.jpg

That's interesting, I don't remember it looking like that.  I remember being moored near the tunnel on my parents boat and people looking through the windows thinking we were an exhibit.

On 13/02/2023 at 16:21, Goliath said:

that’s an interesting photo, 

so while Browns Bridge is clearly a recent construction, is the lift bridge in its original position?

or was it brought from elsewhere?

And before there was a bridge or very much of the museum

image.jpeg

• Greenie 2

Yes there was originally a bridge over the canal that linked up with the branch that served the limekilns. In this picture the Manning Wardle is seen that used to stand at that location after it came from Shut End

And now something for Goliath. The clue is Middle Earth, but do not waste time on looking for Tolkien links. But where was this and why?

Middle Earth.jpg

Heartland's looks like someone's back garden outhouse, and the other (Irish?) looks all the world like a contrived display - but where? Don't recall reading about narrow locks in Ireland.

And that 'lock' looks way short.

Who's EPA?

Edited by Derek R.

13 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Heartland's looks like someone's back garden outhouse, and the other (Irish?) looks all the world like a contrived display - but where? Don't recall reading about narrow locks in Ireland.

And that 'lock' looks way short.

Who's EPA?

Rays pictures were the Yorkshire Lock display built for the Chelsea Flower show.

• Greenie 1

I think Kiwidad’s on to summat though.

Heartland’s photo does look like a photo shoot picture,

summat that’s been built temporary for some reason or other,

it’s too prettified, 

grass/weeds/flowers growing out the brick work like that seems contrived?

a mock shed?

and what’s the Middle Earth clue?

Edited by Goliath

Well, Goliath is close and yes also it is a flower show but not Chelsea. This one was in 2019 and was at the NEC where the CRT had a feature garden. The term Middle Earth refers to the grounds around Hall 16 there.

And now returning to the BCN where was this?

From a historical perspective, the engraving was published in 1860 and shows a canal basin, and blast- furnaces, and the name Pickford is placed by the artist on the boat side and Hopkins was then the owner, which should give a clue as to where, but I suspect some artistic licence, there were two furnaces listed there in most records

Hopkins.jpg

Plutos image appears to show a group of smelting furnaces with a high level railway crossing the navigation on the left and a lower level siding in the centre, but large groups of smelting furnaces were usually confined to the North of England and this image seems to have a lift to the furnace at the top bottom left.

Yet that could be part of the ore treatment process. Between lock 4 and 5 on Leeds & Liverpool Canal may be a candidate- Wigan Coal and Iron Co

As to my image after reading through the accompanying description it seems the furnaces were two in number with the foremost structure of the three being a water balance lift or "tommy hop" in Black Country slang.

Edited by Heartland

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

Plutos image appears to show a group of smelting furnaces with a high level railway crossing the navigation on the left and a lower level siding in the centre, but large groups of smelting furnaces were usually confined to the North of England and this image seems to have a lift to the furnace at the top bottom left.

Yet that could be part of the ore treatment process. Between lock 4 and 5 on Leeds & Liverpool Canal may be a candidate- Wigan Coal and Iron Co

As to my image after reading through the accompanying description it seems the furnaces were two in number with the foremost structure of the three being a water balance lift or "tommy hop" in Black Country slang.

Are we back over Ettleshall way?

Millfield was a big foundry, is it Millfield?

Which image, mine or Plutos

Springvale or Bilston steelworks did have waterways and railways, but the details of Plutos image does not seem to fit.

As to my question it was not at Millfields but closer to the first ever Newcomen Engine in South Staffordshire

3 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Which image, mine or Plutos

Springvale or Bilston steelworks did have waterways and railways, but the details of Plutos image does not seem to fit.

As to my question it was not at Millfields but closer to the first ever Newcomen Engine in South Staffordshire

According to Google the first Newcomen Engine was at Coneygree Coal Works near Dudley Castle.