Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Heartland said:

RCHS image 210075 is simply marked on the RCHS website as Oxford Canal. The information is minimal as it comes from the Derek Hadley Collection, a friend of the late Edwin Shearing. However the society is keen to know the location so can John please give the reason why it is Alexander Colliery. apart from the map of course.

The Alexander Colliery was served by LNWR Wyken Colliery Branch Railway

Hi Ray. I gave Nick Higton and Hugh Potter all the information several months ago. We can have more of a discussion on email if necessary.

Oh Nick did not say about the contact, but there are a group of images together that follow the Wyken arm around to the removed footbridge at the junction and show that footbridge in place, anyway will email 

I wonder if Goliath is a Jeff Beck fan, but the image above needs a wider perspective as it could be anything from a wharf, building, warehouse, coal. lime or ironstone loading point. 

Could even have been a brewery may be,, a clue as to location might help

ale ale ale whatever ales you

I can’t say I am a Jeff Beck fan, 

more of a Slade fan meself

ahh the location,

ok, the clue is;

I was looking for the junctions to the ‘two lock line’,

when I saw the junctions I thought they were too easy to post,

..but I did see this wharf close by to one of them, which I thought interesting.

And I know nothing about it which is why I ask does anyone else?

Edited by Goliath

Well the 2 lock line has two junctions, that on the higher level was close to Netherton Church and Brewins Tunnel, this one looks like the lower level where there were ironworks and Hurst Firebrick works.

Relating to the last post regarding the Oxford Canal this image has been marked as uncertain, but is said to be a branch on the Oxford, with a cast iron support to the towpath side bridge

old branch.jpg

38 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Well the 2 lock line has two junctions, that on the higher level was close to Netherton Church and Brewins Tunnel, this one looks like the lower level where there were ironworks and Hurst Firebrick works.

Woodside Junction is the lower junction, 

the photo was taken just south of there.

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

Well the 2 lock line has two junctions, that on the higher level was close to Netherton Church and Brewins Tunnel,

and talking of Brewins Tunnel;

BFCEE471-D64E-4E02-9EFC-AF4C0AAC86AD.jpeg.7db8bc5c881d0034c7c169d8e37cbc24.jpeg

8F876176-51E2-409A-8D9F-B6FB9AC9272A.jpeg.b182d3a91ed09a27725c1a2cd8d43b76.jpeg

photos taken today on way back from Brierley Hill
And it really was Merry Hell on a Friday night. 

6 hours ago, Heartland said:

Relating to the last post regarding the Oxford Canal this image has been marked as uncertain, but is said to be a branch on the Oxford, with a cast iron support to the towpath side bridge

old branch.jpg

It's the entrance to the Wyken Colliery Arm, looking from the arm out to the main canal. See https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6381802 for a modern view from the opposite direction.

Well done Ditchcrawler that is what I believe is the image. It is a location now part in tunnel under the M6 and the M6 cover part of the former Wyken Loop

As to Woodside Junction the name is derived from a colliery and ironworks, but that on the opposite side was part of Woodside Ironworks, part of Cochranes empire.

5C8ADE83-6E86-415A-9462-55A8A69D2146.jpeg.3712a6f6a8fec4061186b9c00de3c75c.jpeg

it was the remains of what I guess is a small windmill (?) that made me think it would be a recognisable spot for anyone who has used the Dudley Canals. 

not done much exploring these past few days by boat,

except for a couple of pubs by foot 🍺 

Edited by Goliath

The part highlighted in yellow was as can be seen part of Brierley Hill Ironworks where iron was worked up at the puddling furnace and rolling mill. The canal and a railway siding served both the Brierley Hill Ironworks and the Woodside Furnaces.

The siding that served the Brierley Hill Ironworks handled traffic for Hingley & Smith, So the traffic would have been coal and pig iron in and finished iron out.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Heartland said:

The part highlighted in yellow was as can be seen part of Brierley Hill Ironworks where iron was worked up at the puddling furnace and rolling mill. The canal and a railway siding served both the Brierley Hill Ironworks and the Woodside Furnaces.

The siding that served the Brierley Hill Ironworks handled traffic for Hingley & Smith, So the traffic would have been coal and pig iron in and finished iron out.

I’ll be passing again in a few days.

I’ll have another look there abouts 👍

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yes, that’ll be the one, you know where I’m on about. 
Where you like a cheese pie.

Do you reckon it’s there?

The cheese pie makes up for the not so good beer. 99% sure thats where it is.

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

The cheese pie makes up for the not so good beer. 99% sure thats where it is.

Was it September and the had A Christmas tree?

It was quiz night I remember. 
And the beer was Lewes?

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Yes, visiting our daughter and staying at the boat and Horses.  Reckon we might come back by boat in the summer.

👍

remembered in the end

knew where it were just got me pubs muddled

Edited by Goliath