Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

There were were a number of Horseley bridges made to span old parts of the old main line when they were restricted to branch status. Whilst the design for the shortened route  has recently been attributed to Marc Brunel (father of Isambard), by Anthony Burton in a recent book, it was Charles Vignoles survey that was adopted by the Oxford Canal Company the actual construction was carried out by the Oxford Canal and their in-house engineering staff.  A fact which I give in my book Silent Highways, and the choice of bridges would have been with the engineering staff rather than Charles Vignoles perhaps. At the time of construction he was associated with railway projects at that time,

As to this bridge, it would be of interest to discover where ir came from, as most Horseley bridges are still in place. Could it be the bridge from Walsgrave on Soar ?

7 hours ago, BEngo said:

One of the bypassed arms of the Northern Oxford.  

Somewhere around Rugby, I think.

N

I think this one has been completely removed from it's original location, and is now just over a brook somewhere...in Coventry???

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Ray T said:

No longer over a canal, but still exists.

bridge.jpg

It's across the River Sherborne in Coventry. Earlsdon way somewhere, Spencer Park maybe???

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

As to this bridge, it would be of interest to discover where ir came from, as most Horseley bridges are still in place. Could it be the bridge from Walsgrave on Soar ?

Walsgrave-on-Sowe

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

It's across the River Sherborne in Coventry. Earlsdon way somewhere, Spencer Park maybe???

Walsgrave-on-Sowe

Spon End, towards the Ring Road

Spon End.jpg

This was a canal.

DSCF3231.JPG

When it got a bit wet after a rain storm

image.jpeg

Edited by Ray T

4 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Spon End, towards the Ring Road

Spon End.jpg

This was a canal.

DSCF3231.JPG

That's a railway bridge on the Coventry to Nuneaton railway line over an arm off the Coventry Canal at Bermuda or thereabouts. So probably the Griff arm???

In fact on closer inspection it looks like it's the underpass for the new Bermuda Park station.

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, Heartland said:

The bridge now at Spon End came from the junction at the eastern end of the Wyken Colliery loop, near Woodway Lane. Location here:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/rTbPZKcmamWQ32xd6

Photos of the bridge in its original location just before it was moved can be found in the Herbert Dunkley Collection.

15 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

That's a railway bridge on the Coventry to Nuneaton railway line over an arm off the Coventry Canal at Bermuda or thereabouts. So probably the Griff arm???

In fact on closer inspection it looks like it's the underpass for the new Bermuda Park station.

Correct on both counts - the Griff Hollows arm used to go under the bridge which is now used for the underpass. 

On a connected point, I found out recently that a late uncle of mine was an NCB clerk at Bermuda basin at the end of the arm for a short period in the 1950's. 

12 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

Correct on both counts - the Griff Hollows arm used to go under the bridge which is now used for the underpass. 

On a connected point, I found out recently that a late uncle of mine was an NCB clerk at Bermuda basin at the end of the arm for a short period in the 1950's. 

Lots of coal mining and associated work in my predominantly north Warwickshire family roots. More so than boaters, and of course the two were closely linked so some did both.

Two Traffic Cones, and what appears to be a wheely bin. Normally a shopping trolley marks the spot of a disused canal. But, the bottom gates do they have a Bradley 2000 plate?

As the "Newport Canal" is this a reference to the Birmingham & Liverpool Junction branch from Norbury Junction to Wappenshall?

As to another where I am  how about an aqueduct ?

868101.JPG

Edited by Heartland

52 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Two Traffic Cones, and what appears to be a wheely bin. Normally a shopping trolley marks the spot of a disused canal. But, the bottom gates do they have a Bradley 2000 plate?

As the "Newport Canal" is this a reference to the Birmingham & Liverpool Junction branch from Norbury Junction to Wappenshall?

As to another where I am  how about an aqueduct ?

868101.JPG

On the yet to be restored section of the Monty?

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

It's at Bettws Lane, in Malpas, Newport , wales.

20221031_202329.jpg

Edited by matty40s

As to the Horseley Bridge for the Wyken arm junction seems to have been close to bridge 7 Sowe Common Bridge

1886 ordnance survey

1351513890_sowecommon.png.ae6878b9ab3b82cb4a13ba6cc7a782cd.png

Apart from from the Dunkley Collection at Ellesmere Port, which I understand was scanned at Gloucester when it was there, this 1967 image is from the RCHS Collection

Horseley B.jpg

Edited by Heartland

37 minutes ago, Heartland said:

As to the Horseley Bridge for the Wyken arm junction seems to have been close to bridge 7 Sowe Common Bridge

Yes, that's the correct location Ray.

Interesting to see that RCHS view -I've been looking through the archive but hadn't seen that one previously. Thanks. 

The line of the old loop of the canal can still be followed westwards from this point (well, the other side of the M6) through an area of public open space to Deedmore Road.