Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

No not Sherborne Wharf, but you were right with your first thought. It is Salvage Turn as seen in 1966. This would be before the Royal Mail started with the Mailbox construction. The Fake History is the tramway tracks now embedded in the wharf surface, which clearly were not there in 1966. I believe they came from the timber yard on the NIA site.

Suggest change of beer to a real ale !

6 hours ago, Heartland said:

I have yet to find a better image too of this image which is part of a group of images for Knowle Locks before and after the reconstructiion for the Grand Union Canal. It shows the engine house. The Warwick & Birmingham Canal's best known engine house was in Birmingham in Bowyer Street, but this one was considered important for recirculating water at the original 6 narrow locks.

As to another location look at this image below. With Knowle that building has completely  gone. In this view the transformation to the present is remarkable. There is a wide cobbled area on the left which was used by a Corporation and what is missing in this view is an example of fake history that has been placed there. The canal did extend into a blocked off basin by this 1966 new from the RCHS Collection. The main canal turned to the left.

Canal Turn.jpg

Salvage Turn. On the Worcester and Birmingham just beyond Gas Street Basin. 

4 minutes ago, Heartland said:

No not Sherborne Wharf, but you were right with your first thought. It is Salvage Turn as seen in 1966. This would be before the Royal Mail started with the Mailbox construction. The Fake History is the tramway tracks now embedded in the wharf surface, which clearly were not there in 1966. I believe they came from the timber yard on the NIA site.

Suggest change of beer to a real ale !

They always say go with your first answer but I couldn’t work out the right hand side and the false history threw me. Thought the writing on the apartments at Sherborne might fake. 

Ok, I might have a 6X this evening.

Where am I ?

Edited by Goliath

On 22/09/2022 at 22:24, Rob-M said:

Knowle locks

Yes.

Here's the full picture.414895186_3-915-1PumpHouseatKnowleLocks1927-1.jpg.3767e39f5015b675c3c3fdb9ad392b1c.jpg

And from a similar viewpoint today.

6178874_79664b6b_1024x1024.jpg.643d2faf1639bf88f1f0943a28ec04dd.jpg

The new wide locks are on the site of the old pumping station. Side by side view of the original layout and pumping station with the current wide locks.1498947637_Screenshot_20220925-184207_SamsungInternet.jpg.29e4a6f300c8a66fb638a46e603d6fd9.jpg

Original image from http://www.knowlehistory.org.uk/people&places/canal/canal.html

Edited by David Mack

Thought the writing on the apartments at Sherborne might fake.

Well the Fellows, Morton & Clayton writing does reflect accurate history. The much altered warehouse building to become apartments was actually that a warehouse building. FMC transferred part of their trade to the original structure when they left the Crescent and their art deco offices are still at the wharf hidden by the newer structures built aroinf them. 

Before it became a Ministry of Food store during the Cold War, the building on the Sherborne Street Wharf was a corn mill and boiler house. When it was being used as the construction site for the Hyatt Hotel rooms, I was sent into this building for work and the milling structures were still very much in evidence. The FMC buildings were behind it and further along the wharf.

5 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Liverpool?

Thanks for that - fascinating document. Gas Works were all over the place during my childhood.

It’s a good one ain’t it?

Did you spot the bit about the balloons going up from the gas works at Wolverhampton?

Setting a 7mile high record in 1862. 👍

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

It’s a good one ain’t it?

Did you spot the bit about the balloons going up from the gas works at Wolverhampton?

Setting a 7mile high record in 1862. 👍

I did - 7 miles is 36,960 feet, how on Earth did they survive?

"1862 when the British Association arranged for two scientists, James Glaisher and Henry Coxwell, to attempt an altitude record for a balloon. They attained a record height of seven miles and almost died of Hypoxia inthe process"

Seems they did!

• 2 weeks later...