Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I dont know the technical name but side slips down near Hawne Basit, I think there are 6 of them. Two sets of three

My take on these is that there were chutes above. The empty boats got as close to the side as they could, loading from the chutes commenced. As the holds became filled...towards the offside, the hulls slid down the chutes allowing the load to fill the hold evenly.

I may be completely wrong, but it makes sense.

I seem to recall Stewarts and Lloyd's had their own boatyard between the tube works and Hawne Basin, where their extensive fleet of boats were hauled out for maintenance. I'm guessing these timbers are the remains of the slips.

When I first visited the Coombswood area in about 1974 there were still a lot of joeys within the works many loaded with tubes. Not for long afterwards though.

Edited by David Mack

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I seem to recall Stewarts and Lloyd's had their own boatyard between the tube works and Hawne Basin, where their extensive fleet of boats were hauled out for maintenance. I'm guessing these timbers are the remains of the slips.

When I first visited the Coombswood area in about 1974 there were still a lot of joeys within the works many loaded with tubes. Not for long afterwards though.

762720C8-2B7B-484B-AADB-562663126159.jpeg.5af4dd904bc8400a3039aef6b7a79b23.jpeg
sorry about the angle,

yes, the sections of wood ‘slips’(?) run somewhere between here ^^ and Hawne Basin

Just now, BEngo said:

Boatmens Mission at Walsall.  Briefly a museum.  Not sure what its current state is.

N

spot on

it’s currently up for development into a 3 apartment building. 
The bloke who owns it lives in the toll house next door. 

It seems having him live there has improved the spot. I past in 2017 it was awful. Broken bottles and generally uninviting. 
The services have had a tidy up too and the drunks/drug users have vacated, I have been told. 

I didn’t realise how poplar the idea of a boatman’s mission was. There were a few more around the BCN, including Tipton and Farmers Bridge I believe. 
I’d like to find out a bit more. There is a small book about them that I got my eye on buying. 

30 minutes ago, Goliath said:

spot on

It seems having him live there has improved the spot. I past in 2017 it was awful. Broken bottles and generally uninviting. 
The services have had a tidy up too and the drunks/drug users have vacated, I have been told. 

I didn’t realise how poplar the idea of a boatman’s mission was. There were a few more around the BCN, including Tipton and Farmers Bridge I believe. 
I’d like to find out a bit more. There is a small book about them that I got my eye on buying. 

I have moored opposite and it was very quiet

32 minutes ago, Goliath said:

spot on

Have you read the brief bit Andy Tidy has on his website, https://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.com/2009/11/boatmans-missions-on-canals-of.html.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Have you read the brief bit Andy Tidy has on his website, https://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.com/2009/11/boatmans-missions-on-canals-of.html.

👍

the date of the Walsall Mission wrong but a good briefing (I guess) on missions in general.

Truth is I have been perusing the BCN for the coming winter. 
And was surprised to find that the top of Walsall Locks is now an option for a stop over. 
The basin was fine too, but no facilities. 

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

👍

the date of the Walsall Mission wrong but a good briefing (I guess) on missions in general.

Truth is I have been perusing the BCN for the coming winter. 
And was surprised to find that the top of Walsall Locks is now an option for a stop over. 
The basin was fine too, but no facilities. 

We have also moored just before the junction, handy for the shops

11 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The picture below shows a pumping station alongside a flight of locks in this photograph dated 1927. The pumping station is long demolished. Where was it? 

Sorry I can't find a better quality image online.257449223_MysteryLocation.jpg.4ab53d9872a4009e9deec8ecdabec8fb.jpg

Knowle locks

• Greenie 1

I have yet to find a better image too of this image which is part of a group of images for Knowle Locks before and after the reconstructiion for the Grand Union Canal. It shows the engine house. The Warwick & Birmingham Canal's best known engine house was in Birmingham in Bowyer Street, but this one was considered important for recirculating water at the original 6 narrow locks.

As to another location look at this image below. With Knowle that building has completely  gone. In this view the transformation to the present is remarkable. There is a wide cobbled area on the left which was used by a Corporation and what is missing in this view is an example of fake history that has been placed there. The canal did extend into a blocked off basin by this 1966 new from the RCHS Collection. The main canal turned to the left.

Canal Turn.jpg

6 hours ago, Heartland said:

I have yet to find a better image too of this image which is part of a group of images for Knowle Locks before and after the reconstructiion for the Grand Union Canal. It shows the engine house. The Warwick & Birmingham Canal's best known engine house was in Birmingham in Bowyer Street, but this one was considered important for recirculating water at the original 6 narrow locks.

As to another location look at this image below. With Knowle that building has completely  gone. In this view the transformation to the present is remarkable. There is a wide cobbled area on the left which was used by a Corporation and what is missing in this view is an example of fake history that has been placed there. The canal did extend into a blocked off basin by this 1966 new from the RCHS Collection. The main canal turned to the left.

Canal Turn.jpg

my first thought is the sharp turn leading to Gas Street in front of the Mailbox..but not so sure. 
Salvage Turn. 

Edited by Goliath