Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

The California Works was the works belonging to Kerr, Stuart, Locomotive Engine Makers. It was south of Stoke Railway Station and the LMS/NSR Locomotive works and not far from a previous question regarding a coal loading wharf. 

The Gasworks, if I recall was Fenton Gasworks.

I will sort out an image of Hay Basin. It was also an early railway interchange point prior to the making of Victoria Basin. In fact there was a navvy battle there when transhipment was commenced from the temporary Railway Street Station (Shrewsbury & Birmingham Railway).

Edited by Heartland

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

So that’s Lime Kiln lock we see in the bottom of the photo?

Even though you’ve said where it is, I can’t place the other picture. 
Unless that’s Stoke’s football ground 😂 by the gas works? 

Does this help

image.png.e1186c3552ead1109fb18d23a73f7d71.png

I had a suspicion that last one might be on the BCN despite it not being on the direct route of the voyage described.

Reference to Lawrence Hogg’s campaigning would have confirmed that.

I wasn’t able to post at the time because I’ve been busy boating. Honest.

On 12/07/2022 at 16:37, Heartland said:

The California Works was the works belonging to Kerr, Stuart, Locomotive Engine Makers. It was south of Stoke Railway Station and the LMS/NSR Locomotive works and not far from a previous question regarding a coal loading wharf.

And a waterway connection being Tom Rolt served part of his apprenticeship there. He mentions it in the first part of his autobiography, Landscape With Machines, IIRC.

He talks about apprentices making pigs ears of jobs they were working on and disposing of the evidence in the canal!

49 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

And a waterway connection being Tom Rolt served part of his apprenticeship there. He mentions it in the first part of his autobiography, Landscape With Machines, IIRC.

He talks about apprentices making pigs ears of jobs they were working on and disposing of the evidence in the canal!

The same thing happened at Smith's Crane Works at Rodley.

19 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Lovely location but, boring beer.

...which is also not always well kept. Just like the "good old days" 😉

Great place for atmosphere, it's like it was in a timewarp -- unfortunately this applies to the drinks too... 😞

Edited by IanD

12 minutes ago, Goliath said:

and it has to be said the beer was in perfect condition yesterday evening, and there was good company too.

Good company and atmosphere, pretty well guaranteed. Good beer, not so much.

I admit I've only been there twice, but was disappointed with the beer both times -- once it just tasted tired, the second time it was definitely going off -- we had one pint each and then left. I won't be going back, regardless of how much it's a wonderful throwback, because I like good beer in good condition -- 6X is definitely not one of my favourites, but there's no excuse for badly kept beer nowadays.

No doubt other people have found it better (like Goliath yesterday), but I had two not-goods out of two (and I know other people have had similar experiences) -- which is why I was careful to say "not always well kept"...

Edited by IanD

Well Goliath got it right. It was the north entrance to Coseley Tunnel. This tunnel had the distinction of being started as a narrow canal tunnel post 1794 authorisation act with some shafts sunk. This was the period of the Bloomfield & Deepfield Cut. Whilst the original tunnel was not made the two ends became canal branches.

The Telford New Main Line came later.

As an aside the Shropshire Iron Co Ltd used the brand name Goliath for their steel fencing wire.

10 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Well Goliath got it right. It was the north entrance to Coseley Tunnel. This tunnel had the distinction of being started as a narrow canal tunnel post 1794 authorisation act with some shafts sunk. This was the period of the Bloomfield & Deepfield Cut. Whilst the original tunnel was not made the two ends became canal branches.

The Telford New Main Line came later.

As an aside the Shropshire Iron Co Ltd used the brand name Goliath for their steel fencing wire.

It’s the only tunnel on the BCN with a house above like that, that’s how I recognised it..

Whilst waiting for Goliath to explain what seems to be a disused lock, I will make the next question as a River Navigation where the craft were called Keels and clearly had industrial railways or tramroads to the river side.

Keel.jpg

2 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Whilst waiting for Goliath to explain what seems to be a disused lock, I will make the next question as a River Navigation where the craft were called Keels and clearly had industrial railways or tramroads to the river side.

Whoops, sorry for forgetting.

I’ll give you a clue:

remember I’m at High Offley, 

10 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Keel.jpg

Keels and coal, 

I reckon we’re somewhere on the Humber. 

A bit of Googling should narrow it down. 

4 hours ago, Goliath said:

Whoops, sorry for forgetting.

I’ll give you a clue:

remember I’m at High Offley, 

The pub may be called the Anchor, but it is about as far as you can get from the sort of waters where you actually need one!

4 hours ago, Heartland said:

Keel.jpg

Pantile roof on the building, so somewhere down the eastern side of the country. River Tees perhaps (the locomotive being a reference to the Stockton and Darlington railway)?

Edited by David Mack