Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Another Where I am, this time from Britain from Above Collection, 1938 date, the clue is this place was the terminus of an earlier river navigation and a cryptic clue "clothes fit for a stroll"

gasworks.png

A very good cryptic clue.

With the image search features available it only takes a second or two to find the location.

On 23/06/2022 at 15:12, Heartland said:

Wow, such detail

It is remarkable the depth of knowledge that exists out there

This photographer who died a few ago went on several trips with CACTUS, which has been mentioned in other threads

On some images Charlie Atkins seem to have had two water cans, how often did that happen?

$_57 (2).JPG

9985_10152341210692100_1998428217704546263_n.jpg

1557571_593052740764858_1461736240_n.jpg

Edited by Ray T

Well for Victor Vectis, the canal is the Stourbridge Canal, Stourbridge Arm at Stourbridge on the border with AMBLE COAT

The Canal extended to a railway interchange basin, see Tom Foxon's Book Industrial Canal Vol 2

The River Navigation was the Stour, but that navigation terminus may well have been altered when the canal was made

The Bonded Warehouse is just visible in the ariel view

14 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Well for Victor Vectis, the canal is the Stourbridge Canal, Stourbridge Arm at Stourbridge on the border with AMBLE COAT

Very droll!

Strangely it was the football ground/cricket ground I thought I recognised. I've seen a few games there. 

14 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Another location question, this time from 1967 and one of my own photos. I was interested in the Ruston and Hornsby diesel locomotive but there is a canal in the foreground, Any ideas ?

137311.jpg

Shelton Bar steelworks?

I remember going through the middle of it by boat and feeling the heat from the furnaces and the rolling mill, seeing the hot metal and watching the sparks fly -- quite something...

Edited by IanD

Shelton Iron & Steel Works had a locomotive crane tank.

But the question of the canal location was up "norf" of there. In fact was an early canal navigation.

The Dubs loco in the shed:

Shelton2.jpg

Warrington Black Bear ?

Well closer. It is actually St Helens, looking at one of the Pilkingtons Glassworks and their railway. Pilkington can be seen on one of the wagons

So the canal would be the Sankey Canal and the canal that went past the various glassworks, ironworks etc, If recall, it was in the Pocket Nook area, but may be somebody could clarify.

This is the remains of the swing bridge which carried the Pocket Nook line over the St Helens Canal branch. Your photo was taken a little bit further up the branch by Pilkington's Sheet Works, where for 6 months I attended their Apprentice Training School. The canal there was known 'The Hotties' as it was used as a cooling water reservoir. The diesel could be one of the Yorkshire Engine four wheel shunters which replaced steam around 1960. I was apprenticed at Cowley Hill which had been home to several Borrows well-tanks, and for six months I worked in the engine shed on repairs to the diesels. Shortly before I started my apprenticeship, Cowley Hill had given up responsibility for the narrow gauge locos used on the sand fields near Rainford, though we still held some of the wheel gauges in the fitting shop. Sand for glass making was delivered by BR locos, usually a 75xxx, in trains of Pilkington-liveried RCH standard wagons. Trains in non-BR liveries were very unusual at the time, and were certainly a reminder of what railways were like in pre-nationalisation days. Wagons running on BR lines were kept to a high standard and well painted.

Sankey 259, rly bridge St Helens.jpg

Just now, David Mack said:

Not if those are the former Barlow boats in Blue Line Cruisers livery!

They got lost?

I dont profess to be an expert in NB livery but it wouldnt be the first time an artist has amalgamated several images to form a single finished picture.