Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

In response to GOLIATH

Any ideas as to this view. The clue being near single locks that replaced a James Brindley Triple Riser

Boat 1.jpg

As to the painted water cans, it is interesting to see no boat name on them and also ponder on how often a mop handle was painted

The source of the image is RCHS Collection

Edited by Heartland
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

From what I have gleaned, in working boat days when boaters worked for a company rather than No 1’s, the water cans were often the personal property of the boating families. 
As they often changed boats it would not be sensible to have a boats name on the can.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Heartland said:

That would explain my question

Any clues to the ideas of the location, Ray ? or even the boat identity ?

It looks “oop norf” an area I an not too familiar with. The northern boaters tended to paint the top rim of the chimney white whereas midlands and southern boaters didn’t.

Sorry no clue on the boats id.

Edited by Ray T

Yes it is up norf of Brum

The date was in August 1962, with one boat and another tied up with it.

It is only place I can recall that had a pub with every brand of lager possible but only Tetley for a choice of beer.

Right Canal, wrong Treble

There were doubles at Etruria and Meaford and trebles at Lawton and ?

The answer is on page 51 on my book for said canal

As to boat identity the photographer does not record a boat name for this image, but the Northwich 90 registration may be a clue.

I believe this might be a re-registation and some body could explain this.

if so the FMC motor Perch, Birmingham 1560 might fit

Perch was extant in 2013 is this still the case, I wonder ?

And also no, as to Lawton. again read my book the original rebuild was by  John Rennie as single locks which were duplicated in house by company workmen, probably with Telfords instigation, but probably as a result of Caldwell the company chairman confering with Telford when he met Caldwell, and there were other engineers who advised Caldwell at this time.

The lack of company records makes this interpretation a difficult one, but Caldwells diaries clearly point to the duplication being arranged in house. They were left incompleted after Telfords death, hence a feeling that Telford had a input and the top set were not duplicated until the North Staffordshire Railway arranged this job. Two 55 and 56 remained single.

Edited by Heartland

27 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Right Canal, wrong Treble

There were doubles at Etruria and Meaford and trebles at Lawton and ?

The answer is on page 51 on my book for said canal

As to boat identity the photographer does not record a boat name for this image, but the Northwich 90 registration may be a clue.

And also no, as to Lawton. again read my book the original rebuild was by  John Rennie as single locks which were duplicated in house by company workmen, probably with Telfords instigation, but probably as a result of Caldwell the company chairman confering with Telford when he met Caldwell, and there were other engineers who advised Caldwell at this time.

The lack of company records makes this interpretation a difficult one, but Caldwells diaries clearly point to the duplication being arranged in house. They were left incompleted after Telfords death, hence a feeling that Telford had a input and the top set were not duplicated until the North Staffordshire Railway arranged this job. Two 55 and 56 remained single.

If this is an advert for your book, that is against forum guidelines.

50 minutes ago, Heartland said:

https://hnbc.org.uk/boats/perch

No not an advert for the book, just a statement, the book has been out for some time now, and this is thirty something on different subjects starting in 1992. I would prefer to quote books by other authors, but this information is new. Chris M Jones provided the maps for the staircase locks, by the way.

And yes Magpie the junior is correct it is Middlewich and also it would be nice to know if it is the PERCH

• Happy 1

I particularly liked the way Patrick - a moderator - joined the thread to offer his answer just after another poster had sounded off about forum guidelines.

I recognise why there is such a rule but I feel it's right that this forum should assist the handful of members who spend time and effort researching and committing canal history to print for what is probably limited financial return. I suspect it's the desire to learn and see such information recorded that is the motivation.

I knew it was the Trent & Mersey but I didn't know the location of the picture or the history of double and treble riser locks.

I look forward to 29 more "Where I Am"s.

Thanks, Ray.

• Greenie 4

The identity should be in he Northwitch Health Register. I beleive the Admiral Class were registered in the 100's  So I would suggest that this motor was re registered at Northwitch on joining British Waterways N.W fleet probably after a docking at Hayhurst Yard.

As to 1st Ade, If I recall, you were present at the Waterways History Conference in Birmingham where it was decided to look at new research into canals, and more than what had been published  by Hadfield (E.C.R H), Buckby Locks was there as well may be !

That was 1999, I wonder where junior was then .

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

OK No 2 Where I am on same canal, but in 1969

What was the location and what was the purpose. There is a nice image in Tom Foxons Book of boats here, if I recall

Loading Point.jpg

Transfering coal from rail to canal?

Or from the mine in the background to the canal?

Yes it is Sideway near Stoke, the Stafford Colliery behind had a conveyor belt that loaded the narrowboats. The pit was operated by the NCB at the end, and Stafford Coal & Iron Co before. The location was near Fenton and the pit closed in 1969.

Canal traffic ceased before that and coal production was carried on at the nearby modern pit, Hem Heath, although this was a distance from the canal. The traffic in coal by canal seems to have used some of the modern BW narrowboats such as Mountbatten and Jellicoe, perhaps this can be confirmed.

Getting back to the original photo it is indeed PERCH registered at Northwich on the 3rd October 1958.

The water can on the adjacent boat was painted by Lees & Atkins of Polesworth in the Knobstick style exemplified by Bill Hodgson of Middleport Dock, although the castle frieze is definitely Polesworth. 

If anyone can identify the painter of the can on PERCH please say so as I have been trying to put a name to that particular individual for ages.

Wow, such detail

It is remarkable the depth of knowledge that exists out there

This photographer who died a few ago went on several trips with CACTUS, which has been mentioned in other threads

On some images Charlie Atkins seem to have had two water cans, how often did that happen ?

Charlie Atkins.jpg

Edited by Heartland
  • Greenie 1

Another Where I am, this time from Britain from Above Collection, 1938 date, the clue is this place was the terminus of an earlier river navigation and a cryptic clue "clothes fit for a stroll"

gasworks.png