Jump to content

Kelpie on her travels


haggis
 Share

Featured Posts

That's Kelpie out for another cruise and this time we will ( hopefully) be on s bit of water we haven't travelled on before - the Huddersfield Narrow and Standedge tunnel - as part of the Explorer cruise . 

We are enjoying the good weather and having a slow trip to join the others later this week and in fact we only came from Anderton to bridge 108 ( Acton Bridge ) today . We are   moored under the only tree in this stretch sitting watching the world go by. 

Haggis 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yup

 

The Trent & Mersey Canal had a tad more bridges than that'

 

Still is near the Weaver and a few pubs, that is assuming they are still open. It is  bit longer to walk to Dutton Locks and the heritage viaduct, and may be no trains to disturb the solitude

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Yup

 

The Trent & Mersey Canal had a tad more bridges than that'

 

Still is near the Weaver and a few pubs, that is assuming they are still open. It is  bit longer to walk to Dutton Locks and the heritage viaduct, and may be no trains to disturb the solitude

 

The Leigh Arms is a short walk down a path from here and they do food tonight ! Last night it was the emergency rations as the Stanley Arms don't do food on a Monday. Wish the web site had that info ! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, haggis said:

The Leigh Arms is a short walk down a path from here and they do food tonight ! Last night it was the emergency rations as the Stanley Arms don't do food on a Monday. Wish the web site had that info ! 

 

That path (from moorings next to bridge 208) is "interesting" in the dark when it's been raining...

 

(good food and beer at the end of it though)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, IanD said:

That path (from moorings next to bridge 208) is "interesting" in the dark when it's been raining...

It's "interesting" on a Brompton folding bike too. (It's on the shortest route from Bridge 208 to Acton Bridge station).

Edited by David Mack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As expected we had a lovely meal in the Leigh Arms and the next morning set off for Lymm which was a tad busy as there is a festival there this weekend. Met up with a couple of the boats taking part in the Standedge cruise and enjoyed a nice meal in Elma's. Not sure if an anchovy  pizza was a good idea though as  it increased my water consumption. 

The boys  went to the pub !

A good trip up the Bridgewater saw us work through the first lock and moor up. An event in the arena has closed the visitor moorings there. 

After mooring a couple of the guys helped other boats up and down the locks, including Daphne which is on its way to lymm.

We had a short shower which if course stopped as soon as I got the front canopy down.

Up the Rochdale 9 -1 and Ashton tomorrow .

 

Haggis 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had a good trip up the Rochdale 9 and I was impressed with how much they have improved since we did them last. 4 if us got 3 boats up 8 locks in just over 2 hours. Not bad, I thought. However the trip up the Ashton was a bit of a slog with three boats but we made it and we are all now safely moored on the Peak Forest. 

Day off tomorrow which will give us a chance to recharge our batteries before we head up to Standedge. 

 

Haggis 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a wee while since I gave an update so here goes. 

We met up with the other boats (5 in total) at Dukinfield then we all had a good trip up to Marsden, taking part in Stalybridge festival on the way. Lots of socialising and we quickly all became friends and enjoyed quizzes and treasure hunts along the way. 

We went through Standedge yesterday with Terry as our chaperone and how he loves that tunnel! He made the trip so interesting. We came back through this morning with Dave on board and he congratulated Iain on a superb trip in good time 1 hour 20 minutes ). 

We then came down the locks to moor in Mossley where we all had an excellent Indian meal on the way up so that's possibly where we will eat tonight.

It has been a great trip and to my surprise I enjoyed the tunnel and I can manage most of the locks 😀

 

Haggis

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, haggis said:

It's a wee while since I gave an update so here goes. 

We met up with the other boats (5 in total) at Dukinfield then we all had a good trip up to Marsden, taking part in Stalybridge festival on the way. Lots of socialising and we quickly all became friends and enjoyed quizzes and treasure hunts along the way. 

We went through Standedge yesterday with Terry as our chaperone and how he loves that tunnel! He made the trip so interesting. We came back through this morning with Dave on board and he congratulated Iain on a superb trip in good time 1 hour 20 minutes ). 

We then came down the locks to moor in Mossley where we all had an excellent Indian meal on the way up so that's possibly where we will eat tonight.

It has been a great trip and to my surprise I enjoyed the tunnel and I can manage most of the locks 😀

 

Haggis

 

Told you so 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.