Broken steering!

Featured Posts

Yesterday I was approaching kilnhurst flood lock and the mooring on the top side of the lock when my steering wheel just started to spin with no resistance. More by luck than judgement I managed to moor, on investigation it looked like the seals had failed annoying because it's no done much work, I removed the ram and fitted the emergency tiller. Whilst this was all happening 2 boats came through the lock the first the steerer was waving his fist at me and the lady was a bit abusive not listening to my reply, ok she had to jump down onto her boat but that's normal for this lock. The second boat asked what the problem was and could they help? They also told me that the first boat had closed the lock in their face!!!

It turns out that the cylinder had cracked! Typical vetus rubbish it seems, it's going to be sleeved and resealed so all is well apart from using the tiller it's not the same as the wheel. 

19 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I removed the ram and fitted the emergency tiller

So, the RCD / RCR is beneficial in some instances - I wonder how many NB / WB boats with wheel steering, built and signed off as compliant actually are?

5.4. Steering system

5.4.1. General

Steering systems shall be designed, constructed and installed in order to allow the transmission of steering loads under foreseeable operating conditions.

5.4.2. Emergency arrangements

Every sailing recreational craft and single-propulsion engine non-sailing recreational craft with remote-controlled.

rudder steering systems shall be provided with emergency means of steering the recreational craft at reduced speed.

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So, the RCD / RCR is beneficial in some instances - I wonder how many NB / WB boats with wheel steering, built and signed off as compliant actually are?

5.4. Steering system

5.4.1. General

Steering systems shall be designed, constructed and installed in order to allow the transmission of steering loads under foreseeable operating conditions.

5.4.2. Emergency arrangements

Every sailing recreational craft and single-propulsion engine non-sailing recreational craft with remote-controlled.

rudder steering systems shall be provided with emergency means of steering the recreational craft at reduced speed.

Alan I am on the widebeam Facebook group and the answer is not many especially Collingwood! I converted mine myself with a Vetus kit and sleeved the tiller so that it could be used in an emergency, I also have the H valve in place not that it was needed as in seconds all hydraulic oil had gone! I like to think its easier to do it right the first time rather than after a disaster like being stuck on a weir!

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Obviously in regular use.

If a 15kg Danforth won't stop a NB it would stand much chance with Peter's 'Fatty'.

It's actually very heavy no idea what size it is, it came with the boat so I have kept it, never used it and never likely to 

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Despite having little holding power, I reckon, in that example, it'll hold more that that 'rotting' bit of rope.

I have given that bit of rope a tug and it seems fine for a 30 ton boat of course I do have another one in the ropes locker just in case 🤣

44 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I have given that bit of rope a tug and it seems fine for a 30 ton boat of course I do have another one in the ropes locker just in case 🤣

It's a bit late when the anchor is stuck in the bottom and the line has snapped to start rummaging in the lockers!

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's a bit late when the anchor is stuck in the bottom and the line has snapped to start rummaging in the lockers!

I have a mud weight for these waterways, the Anchor was for the trent and Ouse and I havent bothered with them for 4 years, the advantage of the mudweight is you can pull yourself along with it

So the ram was returned today by my Brother in law 200 squids for cash and its fitted bled up and working great, whilst the emergency tiller is ok for a big boat its awkward to use, the distance between tiller and controls is distant and also positioning the boat isnt as easy. when using the wheel you can see clearly down the left side of the boat, ok when mooring on the right its a little awkward but you get used to it, also the boat goes straight with the wheel you can put the kettle on etc tiller it heads straight for the bank!! Anyway tomorrow its on to Barnby Dun and Jayne is coming for the weekend so company for a few days