Extra mooring points.

haggis

Featured Posts

There was a thread a week or so ago about mooring and i said I would take a photo of Kelpies extra mooring thing at the bows which ensure that we never move when a boat passes. This is tonight's mooring where the distance between rings was not ideal and the stern rope was tied to the off side dolly. Several boats have gone past and we haven't moved an inch. 

Ah, the file is too big and I don't have any editing software on my phone. Can I send the photo to someone who can edit it for me please? 

Haggis

26 minutes ago, haggis said:

Thanks. Here it is, hopefully 

IMG20220620201002~2.jpg

Interesting, I think I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought that you were taking the line from the second mooring point towards the stern so that the tension of the lines were opposed to one another holding the boat in position (like a spring) but your photo seems to show both of them pulling forwards, surely the only way for that to hold the boat in position if for them to be very tight, as they appear in the photo (possibly resulting in the boat leaning).

33 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Interesting, I think I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought that you were taking the line from the second mooring point towards the stern so that the tension of the lines were opposed to one another holding the boat in position (like a spring) but your photo seems to show both of them pulling forwards, surely the only way for that to hold the boat in position if for them to be very tight, as they appear in the photo (possibly resulting in the boat leaning).

The ropes are tight but the boat doesn't lean. The angle is not always as long as that but we position the boat as well as possible between rings etc and I tightly tie the front. Iain then ties the stern tight. Tonight because if the angles the stern rope is tied to the dolly furthest away from the tow path but it is usually tied between the two mooring dollies on the same side. As I said before we never move an inch.

A big plus for me is that I can reach the extra mooring thing easily from the bank ( for tying up ) or the well deck ( for casting off ). The extra cleats are I think welded on and don't look obtrusive I love them.

Haggis 

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, haggis said:

The ropes are tight but the boat doesn't lean. The angle is not always as long as that but we position the boat as well as possible between rings etc and I tightly tie the front. Iain then ties the stern tight. Tonight because if the angles the stern rope is tied to the dolly furthest away from the tow path but it is usually tied between the two mooring dollies on the same side. As I said before we never move an inch.

A big plus for me is that I can reach the extra mooring thing easily from the bank ( for tying up ) or the well deck ( for casting off ). The extra cleats are I think welded on and don't look obtrusive I love them.

Haggis 

Have to say that I do like the additional mooring point, it's just that I might use it a bit differently. If I try to tie off a line from the T-bar, pulling towards the stern of the boat to make a 'sort of' spring, I cannot pull it too far back without it chafing the cratch cover. With your set up it looks as though that wouldn't happen.

11 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Have to say that I do like the additional mooring point, it's just that I might use it a bit differently. If I try to tie off a line from the T-bar, pulling towards the stern of the boat to make a 'sort of' spring, I cannot pull it too far back without it chafing the cratch cover. With your set up it looks as though that wouldn't happen.

We never have any need for a rope to chafe  on the cratch board ( or be a trip hazard as someone else suggested) . The ring, nappy pin or mooring pin is not normally as far forward as the one we used tonight but our system is flexible ! 

Haggis 

14 hours ago, haggis said:

Haggis 

We always found that is the mooring rings were not well spaced for NC then we were better off tying the stern line off to the cleat furthest away from the bank. The angle on the rope works better for holding the boat steady.

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Here is my extra mooring point, just inside the deck board.

Screenshot_20220621-164513.png

Interesting and it will make it a wee bit easier to reach  although I don't have a problem with ours being in front of the cratch . Is that a flap in the cratch cover to give acces ? 

16 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Here is my extra mooring point, just inside the deck board.

Screenshot_20220621-164513.png

Same place as mine I can take line fore and aft without fouling, most of the time when we are out we just use that one and ignore the T-stud.

2015-04-15 11.24.41.jpg

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, haggis said:

Interesting and it will make it a wee bit easier to reach  although I don't have a problem with ours being in front of the cratch . Is that a flap in the cratch cover to give acces ? 

Yes there is a flap in the cratch cover to allow the lines to come aboard with the cratch down.

In the 8 years we have had the boat the cratch cover has shrunk noticabily, so that the lower edge now rests on the gunwhale rather than overlapping it. Has anyone else got this problem?

We travel with the cratch cover rolled up most of the time and as time goes on it is getting harder to make it reach the studs . I suppose nothing lasts forever although I don't think the canopy is as old as the boat. 

10 hours ago, D Ash said:

The single line from the bow looks like it is not heading towards the ring, but on a course somewhat to the right of the ring. How does it apparently bend to go round the ring?

We have clever ropes 😀. It must be my inability to take a photo as the rope was straight and tight 

Haggis 

19 hours ago, cuthound said:

Yes there is a flap in the cratch cover to allow the lines to come aboard with the cratch down.

In the 8 years we have had the boat the cratch cover has shrunk noticabily, so that the lower edge now rests on the gunwhale rather than overlapping it. Has anyone else got this problem?

When we bought NC she was 5 years old and the original canopies on the boat had shrunk terribly and were a pig to refit.

We had them replaced and when we sold the boat last year which was about 10 years after the replacement canopies were fitted they still fit the boat perfectly.

We treated them every year with Fabsil which seemed to keep them more supple and certainly helped them keep their colour.

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

When we bought NC she was 5 years old and the original canopies on the boat had shrunk terribly and were a pig to refit.

We had them replaced and when we sold the boat last year which was about 10 years after the replacement canopies were fitted they still fit the boat perfectly.

We treated them every year with Fabsil which seemed to keep them more supple and certainly helped them keep their colour.

When we bought Kelpue the cratch canopy ( black ) was pretty green and over the years since I have given them an occasional treatment of Wet and Forget which has not been entirely successful. This year we were given the tip of spraying on white vinegar the after a bit washing it off. This was more successful but as Iain rolled up the canopies as soon as we got to the boat, I have no idea what they are like now and I won't find out unless we get heavy rain and the canopies are put down. When they are rolled up, I just forget them 😀

12 minutes ago, haggis said:

When we bought Kelpue the cratch canopy ( black ) was pretty green and over the years since I have given them an occasional treatment of Wet and Forget which has not been entirely successful. This year we were given the tip of spraying on white vinegar the after a bit washing it off. This was more successful but as Iain rolled up the canopies as soon as we got to the boat, I have no idea what they are like now and I won't find out unless we get heavy rain and the canopies are put down. When they are rolled up, I just forget them 😀

We washed our hoods once a year with soap powder. Used to bring them up bright and fresh like new. When fully dried applied Fabsil or Fabsil Gold.

Doesn't look like NC's new owners have followed the same routine though. The hoods look terrible somehow after a year :rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Yes DQ's cratch cover is the original, so nearly 15 years old.

I have cleaned them regularly, recoloured them with Renovo and waterproofed with a variety of brands, including Fabsil.

I'll get a new one fitted over winter.  

6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Yes DQ's cratch cover is the original, so nearly 15 years old.

I have cleaned them regularly, recoloured them with Renovo and waterproofed with a variety of brands, including Fabsil.

I'll get a new one fitted over winter.  

One thing we definitely don't miss about the boat is messing about with canvas :rolleyes:

We have a wind out sun shade but it is quite literally a 1 man job to wind it in and out in 30 seconds :)