Ruston Hornsby 2VSH

markjlo

Featured Posts

Hello I like to do an engine service including change the oil filters.  I have been told I have 2 engine filters can someone please tell me where they are located on the engine and are they reuseable?   but if not where can I buy replacement filters

thanks

Can't say from the information given. There could be original filters fitted on the engine, or later filters fitted either to the engine or between the fuel tank and the engine. Most likely to have replaceable filter elements, but washable sock type filters were provided originally on some engines of this vintage.

Follow the fuel line from the tank until you come to some sort of canister which drops down below fuel pipe level, and that is most likely the filter. Post a photo or two here and someone can help with identification.

2 hours ago, markjlo said:

Hello I like to do an engine service including change the oil filters.  I have been told I have 2 engine filters can someone please tell me where they are located on the engine and are they reuseable?   but if not where can I buy replacement filters

thanks

Silly post please ignore.

Bod

Edited by Bod
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bod said:

Silly post please ignore.

Bod

Sorry should have explained, it was my post that was silly, and made no sense, not Markjlo's which is a perfectly good post and deserve's an answer.

Bod.

16 hours ago, markjlo said:

thanks

You are unlikely to get many (or any) answers to your specific questions because your Ruston will probably have been made in the 40s or 50s and recovered decades ago from a scrapped crane or narrow gauge mine loco or something like that, then marinised by someone in a shed back in the 70s or 80s. No-one is likely to know from documentation what type of filters or strainers have been fitted to yours or where they will be.

Best chance of a helpful answer is if you post some photos of your engine. Someone may well be able to see and recognise the filters on yours and give you some concrete guidance. 

Original fuel filter is a felt /metal mesh canister on the side of the engine, it  just needs cleaning out from time to time with paraffin or diesel. You would be unlikely to get a new element  but doubt you need one.. I can't remember what happens with the oil, it might just have a perforated screen in the sump. I'll have a look at our 1941 vintage  loco in a day or two.