Another re-brand???

Midnight

Featured Posts

Is this in support of the NHS or gay people? This is why we can't be using iconography willy-nilly, it gets confusing.

As an aside, whilst I support LGBTQ+ rights, I find this kind of branding cynical. When a business, e.g., H&M, uses it, what are they saying? That they make a meaningful contribution to the movement? If yes, then fine use it. But they don't, and CRT doesn't do anything special either as far as I know.

Or is it to say "we welcome LGBTQ+ people"? Because that should, in a modern society, be the default position.

If anything, the use of human rights movements for commercial purposes is, in my view, harming them.

• Greenie 1

I am in two minds with the current Pride month - I am a gay man but do not feel the need to shout it out and have only attended Pride once in London and once in Brighton (many years ago). Pride month will hopefully challenge a few people and make them aware that some of us are different in our sexuality and that some of those people will need support in accepting themselves as well as hopefully being accepted by others. Sadly, not long ago, the image of a gay man was a limp wristed, John Inman type character. Of course there are many gay men who still have those characteristics but equally many are completely undetectable (my words will probably offend someone - not intended). 

I do think that most companies are virtue signalling but without their involvement the awareness will not grow and those that need support will still feel separated and excluded - not always intentionally by the rest of society but It's how some people perceive the world.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Pandering to the latest fad - LGBTCRT ?

It would be nice to think the the gay rights, the black lives matter and all the other various movements are now unnecessary, because we all respect each other's individual place on any spectrum.

And I'm sure nice people do. It's just a shame they're a minority. If you want to check how tolerant people are of each other, nip over the the politics ghetto for a minute...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Midnight said:

Does this mean all blue signs need replacing?

crt.jpg

It's out to tender, they will be replaced as needed, fair wear and tear, vandalism, plus all two thousand two hundred mileposts (which have so far not been ensigned for some unknown reason),.

Be assured, your Charity wants to encourage more visits per annum, target for next year is another thirteen percent in line with inflation, and we can expect to see many more Yellow Brick Roads as part of the Wizard of Oz Centenary project. There will be festivals every month from July to September when the boating season officially ends and winter stoppages unofficially start.

Narrowboaters will be asked to be particularly friendly to Widebeamers to engender inclusivity in the boating community. 

Edited by LadyG

11 hours ago, CV32 said:

I do think that most companies are virtue signalling but without their involvement the awareness will not grow and those that need support will still feel separated and excluded - not always intentionally by the rest of society but It's how some people perceive the world.

I think that the vast majority of companies involved are not just virtue signaling, but also trying to cash in on pride month as well as a whole host of minority and disability rights issues. There was one shampoo ad I saw on TV with a blind woman telling us how important it was to her that her hair felt soft and not straw like. I might be wrong but I couldn't help thinking that some blind people might feel offended that their disability is being used to sell shampoo. It's one thing wanting to be inclusive but quite another to be doing that only to increase sales and make more profit. 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I think that the vast majority of companies involved are not just virtue signaling, but also trying to cash in on pride month as well as a whole host of minority and disability rights issues. There was one shampoo ad I saw on TV with a blind woman telling us how important it was to her that her hair felt soft and not straw like. I might be wrong but I couldn't help thinking that some blind people might feel offended that their disability is being used to sell shampoo. It's one thing wanting to be inclusive but quite another to be doing that only to increase sales and make more profit. 

Agreed, that is pretty sickening, however, I do remember the advert, didn't notice she was blind, I'm afraid, and I've no idea what shampoo it was, I like my hair to be squeaky clean after shampooing, but I don't see anyone selling that particular feature.

7 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It would be nice to think the the gay rights, the black lives matter and all the other various movements are now unnecessary, because we all respect each other's individual place on any spectrum.

And I'm sure nice people do. It's just a shame they're a minority. If you want to check how tolerant people are of each other, nip over the the politics ghetto for a minute...

I've no desire to go there Arthur, but I would think , it is a minority hardcore of extremists, the rest of us, ie.,  moderates, keep away from the pointless vitriol.

Edited by LadyG

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I remember learning to drive in a Triumph Herald, is that what you mean?

No. Sprites were BMC Austin Healey Sprite sports cars, called Frog eyed because of their after thought headlights stuck on top of the bonnet.

Healey Sprite.

austin-healey-sprite-1960-austin-healey-sprite-mk1-recent-major-restoration-1960-bleu_8177862856.jpg