*UPDATED 2022* - Retired Gay Guy with 45ft narrow boat seeks male companion for short and longer trips.

huami

Featured Posts

"UPDATED 20th June 2022"
Retired Gay Guy with 45ft narrow boat seeks male companion to help on short and longer trips. Experience is not necessary, just a helping hand at the locks etc. You have your own sleeping quarters on board and there would be all facilities (
Wi-Fi, shower, good food and no costs).

Possibly nice for someone who would like to try Narrowboat life before taking the plunge themselves? Or just as a "No Cost" holiday in these financially tight times?

You don't have to be gay but I would not be able to offer a place onboard for a lady (sorry girlz!). Any ages are welcome so if you are between jobs or semi retired everyone is welcome to enquire.  I have my own bedroom at the very back of the boat and there is adequate space at the front for an extra person with a double sized bed.

I placed this information for the first time back at the beginning of the Covid Pandemic and feel it is now time to update things. I have been cruising now for more than 3 years usually setting off from my home base at Whilton Marina near Northampton in April or May and returning for the winter in September or early October.

I have travelled down to and through London, River Wey, Basingstoke canal, River Lee, Kennet and Avon Canal, Bristol Chanel, Gloucester, Worcester, Birmingham, Manchester, Chester, Llangollen, Ripon, York, Lincoln Derby, etc, etc. etc.

It is possible to cruise single handed but help is always welcome at locks and things like lift and swing bridges. For some time I have been "tagging along" with a family on another boat who do the same and also use Whilton as their home base but I feel it is the time to break free and go along at my own pace.

Contact me if you would like any more details then we can chat on WhatsApp or Skype:

Neil

20200521_171520.jpg

IMG_20220526_115621.jpg

Edited by huami
added tag
  • Love 1

Would you not be better asking on a gay site, most folks on here, whatever their orientation are not looking for a boat to crew on.

PS I know it is pride month or some such nonsense. I just find it odd that people think being off centre is the most important feature of their personna. That's not aimed at OP, it's a general observation.

• Greenie 1
  • Sad 1
  • Horror 1
  • Angry 3

13 minutes ago, CV32 said:

Luckily i have only experienced discrimination because of my sexuality once (a long time ago and dealt with by one of my friends - He's six foot five and the issue went away very quickly 😀). Pride is important for many people, perhaps you could be a bit more considerate and less judgemental in your comments.

I don't see why that should cause offence, I stated my opinion, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks people should be treated equal, not treated in any special way. There are millions of categories in the population, why does one category need special treatment, i have nothing against gays, you are probably making assumptions. 

I'm entitled to have an opinion. that is not exhibiting discrimination, see above.

I am not being judgemental.

Edited by LadyG

13 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But equally, I suspect most folks on a gay site are not looking to crew on a boat either. Seems perfectly reasonable to me to ask on here, which doesn't exclude asking in other places as well.

I didn't say it was unreasonable, but the crew swap section is not particularly active as far as I am aware.

51 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Would you not be better asking on a gay site, most folks on here, whatever their orientation are not looking for a boat to crew on.

PS I know it is pride month or some such nonsense. I just find it odd that people think being off centre is the most important feature of their personna. That's not aimed at OP, it's a general observation.

Maybe read is post again. he's looking for a crew, not a date. ;) and being polite enough to put his gay card on the table... maybe to avoid being stuck with someone who can't get past that.

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Maybe read is post again. he's looking for a crew, not a date. ;) and being polite enough to put his gay card on the table... maybe to avoid being stuck with someone who can't get past that.

I give up, you're right I'm wrong. Happy now?

Edited by LadyG
  • Happy 1

45 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't see why that should cause offence, I stated my opinion, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks people should be treated equal, not treated in any special way. There are millions of categories in the population, why does one category need special treatment, i have nothing against gays, you are probably making assumptions. 

I'm entitled to have an opinion. that is not exhibiting discrimination, see above.

I am not being judgemental.

It did not cause me to take offence, it just seemed a bit ill considered. Everyone is entitled to be treated equally, I agree there should not be any 'special treatment'. My comment was purely based on how i interpreted your post.

• Greenie 1

I dont think Lady G was being offensive. She may well be right that we simply dont need a label, or special day,week,month for any and everything??

This reminded me of one year ago next week when I moved into this house. My brilliant next door neighbour who I had never met was in his back garden when I went into ours to see what I had bought. He leant over the wall between our two properties and put his hand out for me to shake. he had a big smile on his face and said " Hi, I am Rob and my husband Gee is around somewhere " In other words, I am gay and if you dont like it tough luck. We have been firm friends since virtualy day one.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I just find it odd that people think being off centre is the most important feature of their personna.

Years ago I was looking for a flatshare in Rotterdam. The potential flatmate asked if I was religious, I said no. Turns out she was gay and didn't want to be stabbed in the night by a fanatic. I think it's a genuine concern for gay people, and there have been a number of high-profile murders and assaults. It's not always about identity.

I remember Huami in Whilton, I think we left around the same time. It's a lovely boat, and it looks like you've covered far more of the network than we have. Hope you find someone.

edit: As an aside, I don't fully understand why you can't accommodate a woman. Are you worried they'll lack sufficient privacy (or that you will)? If you feel comfortable, I'd consider rethinking that and let them decide whether it's their cup of tea or not.

Edited by Thomas C King

4 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

I would also suggest reconsidering this, especially if you are in any kind of hurry to find crew. You might find it more helpful to choose based on personality, rather than gender. It will certainly open up a lot more potential crewmates. 

If its a matter of personal taste then fair enough- and in fact many women would specifically seek out other women for a liveaboard cruise, for all sorts of personal reasons and preferences.

But you could be missing out on some great company, and you might find someone a lot more easily. 

My own reasons for excluding females as crew is because they use far too much water, and bring too many clothes.

But to be fair, I also exclude males, on the basis that they consume my beer supplies at a rate that puts a strain on the vessel's fragile logistics chain.

Its all about balance.

I suspect the request for male only will cause a different problem. 

First, it would take a highly unusual single woman to agree to share a 45' boat with a male stranger for any reason.  Women are generally incredibly wary of such offers, for obvious reasons.

But by specifically excluding women, it then looks to other men like the OP might actually be looking for a romantic/sexual arrangement, which is likely to be off-putting.

I suspect that had the OP never mentioned women in his post, he still would have got no interest from women, but he might have got more interest from men.

A close relation to me is gay. His announcement after 20 years of marriage and two children came as a shock to all involved.

We have had many discussions regarding all of this and my understanding has grown immensely of the past 20 or something years.

What I can’t get my head around is why do we have gay pride events. I always ask when is heterosexual month or day or March?

This person in my family is gay through and through and I can’t change him back no matter how hard I try.🤪

Huami is gay and not in the least concerned about what others think and believe. We have seen him about maybe twice, the last being on the Bridgewater a month or so ago. He looked normal!!

Many on here would be wisely advised not to watch Ricky Gervais latest episode of stand up. I found myself openly laughing whilst wear head phones. (Is that what they are called nowadays.)

Edited by Nightwatch

22 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

PS- I even exclude Labradors for the very good reason that they are too cute to make good crew, and Jack Rusells because they all seem to have a hint of Charles Manson about them. 

Oi....I heard that......that's Jack Russelist..

Simon.JPG

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Oi....I heard that......that's Jack Russelist..

Simon.JPG

What you see there is after they've arrested him for causing a breach of the peace. 

Just look at me, he's saying- how could someone as cute as me do anything naughty?

15 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

[...] What I can’t get my head around is why do we have gay pride events. I always ask when is heterosexual month or day or March? [....]

🤪

It's hetero time 365 days of the year. Same as it's family = mum, dad and two kids days all the time. Granted, you might see some advertising showing another permutation, but in home furnishings, life insurance, timeshare holiday homes, hetero is what make it all go around.

Same as when one friend asked during an International Women's Day gathering, "When do men get their own day?"

"Men have that each and every day of the year!" came the chorus from women nearby.

6 minutes ago, Puffling said:

It's hetero time 365 days of the year. Same as it's family = mum, dad and two kids days all the time. Granted, you might see some advertising showing another permutation, but in home furnishings, life insurance, timeshare holiday homes, hetero is what make it all go around.

Same as when one friend asked during an International Women's Day gathering, "When do men get their own day?"

"Men have that each and every day of the year!" came the chorus from women nearby.

I take the view that anyone who asks "when is heterosexual day?" is likely to be so ignorant, they're not worth bothering with.  Either that or they're just stirring.

• Haha 1