JJ CROOK Boat builders ,El-CYD and the local waterways

Deansm

Featured Posts

Hey Everyone hope all is well ,

okay where to start ! we own a jjc boat which we just found out was released onto the waterways in 1978 as far as we know its the first one J.J.C built and released from wigan, we me and my girlfriend have researched J.J.C but really not much is know apart from snippits of information which has not helped in our first ever narrow boat. we had no idea on new safety regs on boats nor the fact due to the age of it needs to be survey for the insurance.

but with a bmc 1500 engine where the starter just gave up the ghost this was not possible, well after going around in circles for moths spoke to the waterways who have issued a exemption to the safety for the boat.

after 6 months of owning the boat so far we found all the rust within the boat from leaky windows which we found during winters storms (now we know why there was 3 tents in the boat to cover the windows when it rains) and dealing with the windows while this amazing summer weather is here.

The engine we have arranged for a full rewire and rebuild as its all over 40 years old and shows its age, so another job which is to be done.

all in all we are learning lots all of the time from other boaters or just good advice from other users of these forums, and with lots of help and advice off the river trust who have helped advice me to no end and so has the local officer he knows the boat is broken down and been amazing within his advice and help.

I would just like to know if anyone knows of how these boats are registered with the local councils when they get launched could you let us know as i am trying to find out as much on this boat as possible.. as we are still learning so much hand in the right direction might be helpful.

finally this is what our boat is starting to look like ... 

take care speak soon :) thank you all for good advice 

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-20 at 12.58.15 AM.jpeg

Hi there, this looks like a project to keep you working all summer, and beyond!

If it is on the hard, ie not in the water, it does not need a Boat Safety Scheme Certificate which is required by the C&RT (canal and river trust) for all boats, on their water, along with insurance. Even if you have a current BSC, making major changes can affect the status.

There are two categories of insurance you need to choose from, either third party fire and theft or comprehensive. You may not be eligible for comprehensive until you have a good survey.

The CRT have jurisdiction over most of the inland waterways, rather than the local authority. If you do not comply with their requirements, ultimately they can remove your boat and have it scrapped!

I see you have been posting previously, so you should ask admin to move your post to general boating maintenance.

The forum can be very helpful, but it's not necessarily the way forward on a project like this.

Having read some of your posts I think you need to find a professional to inspect the boat and advise how to proceed. 

The hull needs to be surveyed to find out if it needs welding, the survey might cost a few hundred, but if the hull is not sound you need to decide how to proceed, and if you can afford the time and the money. Enthusiasm costs nothing but boats cost money.

The rest of the boat probably needs a survey as it sounds as though you are just getting advice in a piecemeal way. 

You can't really do these things in the water. Find a good local boatyard who are prepared to help, find a good surveyor who is  familiar with narrowboats, he will advise on how to proceed.

Edited by LadyG

6 hours ago, Deansm said:

Hey Everyone hope all is well ,

okay where to start ! we own a jjc boat which we just found out was released onto the waterways in 1978 as far as we know its the first one J.J.C built and released from wigan, we me and my girlfriend have researched J.J.C but really not much is know apart from snippits of information which has not helped in our first ever narrow boat. we had no idea on new safety regs on boats nor the fact due to the age of it needs to be survey for the insurance.

but with a bmc 1500 engine where the starter just gave up the ghost this was not possible, well after going around in circles for moths spoke to the waterways who have issued a exemption to the safety for the boat.

after 6 months of owning the boat so far we found all the rust within the boat from leaky windows which we found during winters storms (now we know why there was 3 tents in the boat to cover the windows when it rains) and dealing with the windows while this amazing summer weather is here.

The engine we have arranged for a full rewire and rebuild as its all over 40 years old and shows its age, so another job which is to be done.

all in all we are learning lots all of the time from other boaters or just good advice from other users of these forums, and with lots of help and advice off the river trust who have helped advice me to no end and so has the local officer he knows the boat is broken down and been amazing within his advice and help.

I would just like to know if anyone knows of how these boats are registered with the local councils when they get launched could you let us know as i am trying to find out as much on this boat as possible.. as we are still learning so much hand in the right direction might be helpful.

finally this is what our boat is starting to look like ... 

take care speak soon :) thank you all for good advice 

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-20 at 12.58.15 AM.jpeg

Dean, I'm on the Rufford today, would you like a chat face to face?

Bod

(owner/steerer of 12 years)

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

And yup it is well built but now having issues let us just say the boat came with a tent now winter has just passed i found out why and currently fixing said issues ,i think just bringing it into the 2022 year not 1978 as year of her birth.

But Yup overall a solid boat and i will find out most of her past :)

• Greenie 1