Jabesco craps itself or: Toilets compatible with a pump-out tank...

Featured Posts

Thanks all for the help.

I've got the Jabsco compact loo. I know a few people are saying not to connect it to the main supply, but I'm giving it a try and it seems to work fine. I flick the lever and the bowl starts to fill. Flick it off and the flow stops. The handle pumped empties the bowl. So far so good.

I just need to get the proper connectors to join the water line to the loo (different widths of pipe).

I just hope pumping the loo to flush isn't going to inflate my tank like a balloon!  :D

4 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Thanks all for the help.

I've got the Jabsco compact loo. I know a few people are saying not to connect it to the main supply, but I'm giving it a try and it seems to work fine. I flick the lever and the bowl starts to fill. Flick it off and the flow stops. The handle pumped empties the bowl. So far so good.

I just need to get the proper connectors to join the water line to the loo (different widths of pipe).

I just hope pumping the loo to flush isn't going to inflate my tank like a balloon!  :D

How are you preventing contamination of the water supply from the toilet?

34 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

I know a few people are saying not to connect it to the main supply, but I'm giving it a try

As you are entitled to do - your boat, your life.

But is does seem somewhat bizarre to ask for advice, & then when more than one person tells you there is a health risk in doing something you just go ahead and do it anyway.

44 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As you are entitled to do - your boat, your life.

But is does seem somewhat bizarre to ask for advice, & then when more than one person tells you there is a health risk in doing something you just go ahead and do it anyway.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

How are you preventing contamination of the water supply from the toilet?

I'm only using the main supply to test the unit (brand new and clean). I'm making a separate 'cistern' which I'll fill manually.

Almost complete, but I'm going to phone Jabsco tomorrow. I think I have an air lock or something. Sometimes the handle just won't go down for a second pump.

The output pipe curls up (with no kinks) to the top of the tank to dump the junk in. As it did with the previous loo.

I don't have a vent on the output pipe from the toilet to the tank (as the boat would stink) but I have a vent to the outside world from the tank itself.

Anyway, we'll see what Jabsco say...

Hopefully the end of this saga...

No air lock. Had to take everything apart from the back of the toilet to the tank. Turns out the elbow joint where the outlet pipe meets the tank was blocked.

Oh well, at least the outlet pipe and elbow joint are clean and won't need done for a while.  :D

6 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Turns out the elbow joint where the outlet pipe meets the tank was blocked.

Oh well, at least the outlet pipe and elbow joint are clean and won't need done for a while.

Was it a 'log' ?

What happens when the next 'log' doesn't fit around the bend ?

45 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Was it a 'log' ?

What happens when the next 'log' doesn't fit around the bend ?

No, it was a build up of calcium debris and other goop.

The pipe from the toilet to the tank, and the elbow joint, hadn't been cleaned in the 6 months we've had the boat, and Christ only knows when it was last cleaned before we bought the boat.

Done now.

Thanks for the advice along the way.

That's quite an impressive header tank you have there, just don't stand up too quick when you finish  :)

If you did reconsider using the shower hose, for info the water regulations for a house prohibit a shower hose that can reach into the toilet bowl, unless you have a "fluid category five backflow device", which needs to include an air gap. Keep the filler pipe short and I reckon the plastic tub qualifies!

Not mandatory on a boat, but would seem sensible to protect your drinking water to that level on your boat

https://www.waterregsuk.co.uk/downloads/public_area/guidance/publications/general/info_leaflets/prevention_of_the_risk_of_backflow_in_the_design_of_domestic_bathrooms.pdf

19 minutes ago, DarrenG said:

That's quite an impressive header tank you have there, just don't stand up too quick when you finish  :)

If you did reconsider using the shower hose, for info the water regulations for a house prohibit a shower hose that can reach into the toilet bowl, unless you have a "fluid category five backflow device", which needs to include an air gap. Keep the filler pipe short and I reckon the plastic tub qualifies!

Not mandatory on a boat, but would seem sensible to protect your drinking water to that level on your boat

https://www.waterregsuk.co.uk/downloads/public_area/guidance/publications/general/info_leaflets/prevention_of_the_risk_of_backflow_in_the_design_of_domestic_bathrooms.pdf

Thanks for the info. 👍

We're still trying to find the right size of container. We don't need a lot of flush water in reserve.

I have a water source running up to above the container with a tap on it. We manually fill the container to make flush water rather than having the water source connected directly to the flush mechanism.