Oh no not again

Midnight

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, droshky said:

Hi, non live aboard here, hoping to make progress next time we’re on board.

Bit of a diversion but sort of related… on the Huddersfield narrow hoping to head for the L+L…our plan is to hang around  the west end of the Standedge tunnel (a few locks down obviously) waiting till it’s open again AND for there to be a cancellation so we can slip in.

Considering the issues on the L+L above, and the persistent problems on the Hudd narrow, (not to mention needing to cadge a tunnel slot) are we being ridiculously optimistic?

cheers

In regard of the Huddersfield - yes very!!!
In regard of the L&L there's a promising report above.

Hi everyone, we've just bought a boat in Cannock and have a mooring in Bingley we were going to start moving it to later this week. Seems the Bradley Culvert failure will stop us from going out original route (and we might not even make it past Wigan according to some?)

Is there an alternative route that's still navigable? 

2 hours ago, petch said:

Hi everyone, we've just bought a boat in Cannock and have a mooring in Bingley we were going to start moving it to later this week. Seems the Bradley Culvert failure will stop us from going out original route (and we might not even make it past Wigan according to some?)

I use the CRT stoppages map to check up on navigation hazards.

There has been no update on the Bradley culvert stoppage, contrary to expectations. 

The opencanalmap and Canallplan AC are pretty good, but the CRT site Is definitive.

You don't say what are the dimensions of your boat, this might affect routing.

Go to stoppages on the CRT site, then 

Search for closure (stoppages)

Enter a waterway and enter for all the stoppages this week, dates can be changed.

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

I use the CRT stoppages map to check up on navigation hazards.

There has been no update on the Bradley culvert stoppage, contrary to expectations. 

Word on the street is that this could take up to twelve weeks to sort. Plenty of water around - just not in the right places. The nonsense is that the culverted stream passes less water than comes out of my sink in a day.

5 hours ago, petch said:

You can approach Bingley from either Wigan side, moving at the times when the locks open (be aware there's now not always active volunteers on the Wigan flight)

Or you can take the longer route via Manchester > over the Rochdale > down along Calder & Hebble > past Wakefield and back up towards Leeds on the Aire & Calder > then head up from Leeds to Bingley.

The alternative route is a long one... There's a fair amount of locks in-between AND you need to ascend the Rochdale which is a trial in itself. I'm unsure if there's any current stoppages on Rochdale, but it does tend to have problems year on year...

I'd say if you're gonna do the Rochdale, make sure you get up to the Summit sharpish to avoid any closures that side... I would say enjoy the trek down then to Sowerby Bridge but threat of closures mean you might have to rush it.

It all depends if you want to deal with a long trek around - at least you'd have the light on your side!

6 hours ago, petch said:

We are presently in Skipton. Local knowledge is that the firm that responded to the initial alarm call at Bradley, made the area safe with coffa (spell check) dams etc. Said if they get the go ahead they could complete the repair in three weeks. Since, CRT have decided to put the job out to tender, are just in receipt of the tenders and studying them. Then they will meet with potential contractors and eventually award the contract. Knowledge on the ground is that the job will take three months from start. I have walked to the stoppage and I couldn’t see the 2 mtr hole that has been mentioned. There was a relatively small amount of water between the dams with pumps running. With a 2 mtr hole I didn’t expect to see any water between the dams.

What are CRT on? For goodness sake.

The lock repair that overran and went considerably over budget at Eshton Lock recently surely rang a few bells within CRT. Rumour has it that the very same contractor might well get the job at Bradley.

A bit of back scratching perhaps.

I feel for the local canal businesses that are experiencing prolonged stoppages and disruptions.

Edited by Nightwatch

OP could consider transporting the boat, depends on their circumstances.

It's an absolute pain not having skilled staff to do this kind of work quickly and efficiently. They have so many breakdowns you would think it would pay to have a core of staff working on routine maintenance and on standby  for these regular emergencies. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

OP could consider transporting the boat, depends on their circumstances.

It's an absolute pain not having skilled staff to do this kind of work quickly and efficiently. They have so many breakdowns you would think it would pay to have a core of staff working on routine maintenance and on standby  for these regular emergencies. 

Whole heartedly agree. CRT, and the latter end of BW’s reign, they have been losing their way. Getting it all wrong on so many levels, in my view of course.

9 hours ago, petch said:

Sorry, 55'! 

Some alternatives suggested by canalplan 

image.png.dc7e24501cc8b11472b686dd86f16670.png

With all the uncertainty surrounding Yorkshire waterways under this diabolical C&RT regime, I suggest your best option in Alternative 2 via the River Trent. If you are not experienced on tidal waters pick a neap tide from Cromwell to Torkesey then Torkesey to Keadby. 

If doing this ⬆️ there is a great Facebook group called 'Trentlink - the safe navigation of the tidal Trent'. They post regular updates and many people buddy up for support with other boaters if they are unfamiliar with this part of the Trent.

• Greenie 1

43 minutes ago, MrsM said:

If doing this ⬆️ there is a great Facebook group called 'Trentlink - the safe navigation of the tidal Trent'. They post regular updates and many people buddy up for support with other boaters if they are unfamiliar with this part of the Trent.

I bought the three booklets associated with this area, you need a protective cover to use them on the day. What I did was mark a predicted timetable, so I was able to keep track of my position on the chart, a lot easier to navigate if there are two on board of course.

Lifejackets, anchor and rope also required. I found it was quite exciting! Turning in to the lock from the Trent, you need to be aware which way the river is running, and face in to it. Ask the lockkeeper before you leave the canal if he has the leaflet showing the method. I chatted with the lockkeeper when I booked my passage, he was very helpful, ditto the lock keeper on arrival. 

Good weather, good timing, good briefing, that's the key

Edited by LadyG

Apparently Keadby approach is due to be dredged as it is extremely tight at the moment - with only a very narrow channel available. 

This photo is from the Trentlink FB group. Hope they don't mind me sharing it here.

Screenshot_20220627-113118~2.png

Edited by MrsM
Add photo

Standedge Tunnel booked up untill August.

I know every member here will be bitterly dissapointed, as I know you are all dying to go through it, but we have to take the rough with the awful.  😞

• Haha 1

Update from CRT

Our Engineers have designed a temporary repair for Bradley Aqueduct and works are planned to commence on Monday 27th June. At this stage they estimate that the works will take around 2 weeks. Once the temporary repair is complete, the canal we be re-opened with the following restrictions in in place

• A reduced depth, restricting vessel draught to and estimated 0.6m.
  • Single file passage through the affected area.
  • A requirement to travel at a ‘dead slow’ speed.
  • A temporary landing will be in use for the operation of Bradley swingbridge.

It is our intention to return to site in November this year to undertake a permanent repair to the aqueduct.

The reopening of the canal following the completion of the temporary repair is dependent upon sufficient water entering the canal from the main feeder channel on this section, Eshton Beck. Whilst sufficient inflows are being received at present it should be noted that we are experiencing a significant and prolonged dry spell of weather and levels within Eshton Beck are lowering.

A further update, with a confirmed date for re-opening of the canal, will be provided by Friday 1st July

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Boats with a draught of more than 23.6” won’t be able to pass. That is going to exclude many boats here in Skipton.

They've just had a gate failure on Greenberfield too so passage restricted for widebeams.  Narrowboats can transit but only on ground paddles.

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

They've just had a gate failure on Greenberfield too so passage restricted for widebeams.  Narrowboats can transit but only on ground paddles.

It gets better. I’m not confident that CRT are on the ball. Another post where CRT are blowing their own trumpet is impressive if you are not too close to the issues. They are ‘up against it’ but in my humble opinion, there’s plenty of mismanagement incidents occurring. Mismanagement of contractors and their contractual specifications and working methods.

On 26/06/2022 at 13:48, petch said:

@petch Don't forget to sign up for stoppages updates on your route, they will be emailed to you.

Edited by LadyG

• 2 weeks later...

Be aware when you sign up for email notifications that you don't get previously published ones, only new ones issued going forwards. So you still need to check the online map for any stoppages and restrictions.  Nearly found that out the hard way. 

Edited by Jonkx
Spell check typo