Oh no not again

Midnight

Featured Posts

54 minutes ago, RAP said:

There is a winding hole at Kildwick where there is also vehicular access next to the canal by Warehouse swing bridge. 

On my map the warehouse swing bridge looks like a farm track, ie not public road, and it is beyond the winding hole. Are you familiar with it?

I have to go to that winding hole anyway, but I think it will be difficult to ask for my furniture to be delivered from Skipton. I could go to the next winding hole, but I don't want to if I can avoid it.

Trying to plan anything is just impossible on L&L. 

Edited by LadyG

9 hours ago, MtB said:

FTFY

Always referred to here as a turn-round point, largely to avoid the pretentious pronunciation of winding that some people seem to insist on, I presume to try to baffle newcomers and hirers,while thinking it makes them look clever. Oddly, I've never heard a traditional boatman admitting to burping his clock.

25 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Always referred to here as a turn-round point, largely to avoid the pretentious pronunciation of winding that some people seem to insist on, I presume to try to baffle newcomers and hirers,while thinking it makes them look clever. Oddly, I've never heard a traditional boatman admitting to burping his clock.

I used the expression turning point because I'd been talking to someone about my problem, and introducing the winding hole term would have caused even more confusion, anyways, the photo seems to show a public road, but will I have to reverse from the winding hole to the swing bridge, or do I need to go though this bridge to the next winding hole? 

Can anyone guess how long this closure will last, I am just fed up with having to continuously alter my plans due to maintenance problems.

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I am just fed up with having to continuously alter my plans due to maintenance problems.

I thought your plan was to head for Wigan and then the Lancaster after your boat and ankle were mended.

Silsden is in the opposite direction from where you overwintered ...

31 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I thought your plan was to head for Wigan and then the Lancaster after your boat and ankle were mended.

Silsden is in the opposite direction from where you overwintered ...

I ve had to hang around two weeks waiting for these deliveries, and elected to go to the ABC to turn, this is why I'm near Silsden, and now unable to get back to Skipton for my furniture. I'm going to try to cancel one of the orders, though it's unlikely they wil agree, and arrange for the other to be picked up . Also need water this week! 

28 minutes ago, davidb said:

There is excellent mooring and access all along that stretch, thank you Mr Google:

WarehouseBridge.jpg

Yes, but will I be able to reverse from the winding hole, to the swing bridge, or should I proceed through the bridge to the next winding hole, then backtrack to the swing bridge. Boat is very difficult to reverse. Swing bridges mostly impossible singlehanded.

Edited by LadyG

35 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I ve had to hang around two weeks waiting for these deliveries, and elected to go to the ABC to turn, this is why I'm near Silsden, and now unable to get back to Skipton for my furniture. I'm going to try to cancel one of the orders, though it's unlikely they wil agree, and arrange for the other to be picked up . Also need water this week! 

Yes, but will I be able to reverse from the winding hole, to the swing bridge, or should I proceed through the bridge to the next winding hole, then backtrack to the swing bridge. Boat is very difficult to reverse. Swing bridges mostly impossible singlehanded.

You wont need to reverse very far until you reach the moorings with the track alongside. It's a good place for a delivery. 

• Love 1

Why don’t you walk or cruise up to Kildwick and take a look, it’s not far from the Silsden Woodend moorings. The winding hole is very close to the swing bridge, about 300 metres before the bridge. As others have said, including me, it’s a good place for vehicular access and deliveries. The road is decent albeit narrow, two cars can pass. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Presumably you call your windlass a "lock key" too eh?

:hug:

(To avoid having to decide how to pronounce it?) 

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

That is one that tends to confuse my sailing friends, Winch handle is what I normally hear. I just looked up windlass

The windlass /ˈwɪndləs/ is an apparatus for moving heavy weights. Typically, a windlass consists of a horizontal cylinder (barrel), which is rotated by the turn of a crank or belt. A winch is affixed to one or both ends, and a cable or rope is wound around the winch, pulling a weight attached to the opposite end.

Edited by ditchcrawler
I did it again

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That is one that tends to confuse my sailing friends, Winch handle is what I normally hear. I just looked up windlass

The windlass /ˈwɪndləs/ is an apparatus for moving heavy weights. Typically, a windlass consists of a horizontal cylinder (barrel), which is rotated by the turn of a crank or belt. A winch is affixed to one or both ends, and a cable or rope is wound around the winch, pulling a weight attached to the opposite end.

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/search?query=windlass

4 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I see where you're coming from. In the Navy, where most such terms originate, winding ship is pronounced like winding a clock. You could wait a bloomin' long time waiting for the wind to help turn the vessel when there's a perfectly good capstan on hand I'd suggest.

However, now my home mooring is in the Black Country, I'd be swimming against the tide if I stuck with the clock winding pronunciation. Surely the difference is illustrated right there - it's an accent thing. Hole being pronounced as 'ole or oil is oddly less contentious.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

This is true.  What canal boaters call a windlass is technically a windlass handle.  The windlass itself is the bar and ratchet that is typically attached to the lock gate, or maybe some designs of ground paddle.

I reckon a lock key is the Watermate Yale when used in the lovely electric pushbutton locks ...

3 hours ago, MtB said:

(To avoid having to decide how to pronounce it?) 

No, it's a twangling iron. I thought everyone knew that.

You wind a baby to make it burp. You wind a watch key to turn it round. Whether an i is short or long also depends on the construction of the rest of the word (winter, wine), so windlass is OK, but pronunciation also avoids misinterpretation which is why a blowy day is windy but a twisty canal is windy.

Interestingly, Good old Billy Shakes rhymed wind with unkind (blow, blow, thou winter wind etc) and I have no idea which i was which, but it just goes to show.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

This is true.  What canal boaters call a windlass is technically a windlass handle.  The windlass itself is the bar and ratchet that is typically attached to the lock gate, or maybe some designs of ground paddle.

I reckon a lock key is the Watermate Yale when used in the lovely electric pushbutton locks ...

Watermate Yale? That's the American university scholarship scheme for ex-mariners' kids, isn't it? Always been a BWB key to me. And no, you don't say bwib for the first part, but speak each letter individually 🔑

Edited by Puffling

This just came up on Facebook

Credit where credit is due.....
A collapsed culvert was found at Bradley yesterday, the canal was leaking water and at fast rate into the field below and the canal was at risk of a full breach.
Less than 24hrs on, CRT lads & Contractors have attended site, assessed the situation, closed the canal to navigation, made a site area, installed dams, drained the area, and have pumps in place running to keep the area empty and stop us from losing anymore water. They are now on with assessing the full works needed but the contractors on site are hopeful that a full permanent repair could be possibly within a few weeks (that is if the contract is awarded to them).
So as the header, credit where credit is due. Its not often contractors attend site and work so quickly, affectively and efficiently. We know the CRT lads themselves have our best interests at heart but this is something that is massively lacking usually from contractors. But it would appear not on this occasion.
We are hopeful that CRT acknowledge and respect the fast acting work from all involved and hope that the permanent repairs needed are awarded this team.
Thanks to everyone involved so far
  • Happy 3

12 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Watermate Yale? That's the American university scholarship scheme for ex-mariners' kids, isn't it? Always been a BWB key to me. And no, you don't say bwib for the first part, but speak each letter individually 🔑

Pee pee key is what we call it!

59 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

A collapsed culvert was found at Bradley yesterday, the canal was leaking water and at fast rate into the field below and the canal was at risk of a full breach.
Less than 24hrs on, CRT lads & Contractors have attended site, assessed the situation, closed the canal to navigation, made a site area, installed dams, drained the area, and have pumps in place running to keep the area empty and stop us from losing anymore water. They are now on with assessing the full works needed but the contractors on site are hopeful that a full permanent repair could be possibly within a few weeks (that is if the contract is awarded to them).
So as the header, credit where credit is due. Its not often contractors attend site and work so quickly, affectively and efficiently. We know the CRT lads themselves have our best interests at heart but this is something that is massively lacking usually from contractors. But it would appear not on this occasion.
We are hopeful that CRT acknowledge and respect the fast acting work from all involved and hope that the permanent repairs needed are awarded this team.

That’s excellent news. Sad it could take weeks but you never know it may well be less time. We are a couple of miles from the site and as far as I can tell there have been no level fluctuations. When we came down the last locks at Gargrave there was a pleasant CRT chap doing what I now realise was a monitoring of the levels.

Before setting off from Banbury area in April I was saying to people that our intention was to go to Skipton and beyond ‘water permitting’! as a tongue in cheek comment. I didn’t mean it. Just need to get back now!!

• Greenie 1

Having used several " Proper " Windlass in the RN I confess I was somewhat bemused at the little handles thing used on the inland waterways being called a windlass!! Tis just the way it is.

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

This is very promising. I am planning to escape Yorkshire from July 12th and would ideally like to get out via the L&L.

Please My McGinley I promise not to take your name in vein again if you fix this by July. 🙏

On 17/06/2022 at 20:05, LadyG said:

I'm just bumping this, as need some immediate advice here about this.

I'm on the Silsden side of Bradley, I  have a turning point a mile ahead, should I move tonight in case the level falls further overnight, and I get grounded in the middle of nowhere.

What I am asking is, will the canal drain due to this culvert collapse? 

Will I be able to get to a public road at Kildwick from the south east turning point?

At Kildwick Swing Bridge there is a small road access to the towpath, some vehicles use it to get to the farm there, it may be private, I saw several vehicles turn in there when I was operating the swing bridge. It runs alongside the bollards where you could wait on the Leeds side of the bridge. The last winding hole before the blockage on the Silsden side is at Bridge 183 Farnhill, so you could turn near there and head back. 

Hi, non live aboard here, hoping to make progress next time we’re on board.

Bit of a diversion but sort of related… on the Huddersfield narrow hoping to head for the L+L…our plan is to hang around  the west end of the Standedge tunnel (a few locks down obviously) waiting till it’s open again AND for there to be a cancellation so we can slip in.

Considering the issues on the L+L above, and the persistent problems on the Hudd narrow, (not to mention needing to cadge a tunnel slot) are we being ridiculously optimistic?

cheers