Oh no not again

Midnight

Featured Posts

News today Keadby railway vazon Bridge closed, culvert at Bradley on the L&L failed  Rochdale summit no water, and Huddersfield narrow always closed. That's Yorkshire effectively  closed yet again. P*ss up / brewery springs to mind.

And of course all too predictably 2 days without rain and the L&L is threatened with total closure between Skipton and Wigan due to water shortage.. 

Pleasing that CRT are taking proactive action and reducing lock opening times to conserve water. 

3 hours ago, jonathanA said:

And of course all too predictably 2 days without rain and the L&L is threatened with total closure between Skipton and Wigan due to water shortage.. 

Pleasing that CRT are taking proactive action and reducing lock opening times to conserve water. 

Oh, dear, what can the matter be?

I noticed the water levels here, nearer the summit look to be four inches lower than the watermark, not far from Silsden. Does this mean I will be unable to get to Wigan, I certainly don't want to be trapped  after Skipton.

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I noticed the water levels here, nearer the summit look to be four inches lower than the watermark, not far from Silsden. Does this mean I will be unable to get to Wigan, I certainly don't want to be trapped  after Skipton.

If you are on the Silsden side of Bradley you will be affected by the culvert failure. Probably another long one. If you on the summit pound above Greenberfield you will be okay

• Happy 1

15 minutes ago, Midnight said:

If you are on the Silsden side of Bradley you will be affected by the culvert failure. Probably another long one. If you on the summit pound above Greenberfield you will be okay

This is quite incredible, I've just (today) arranged for two furniture deliveries at Skipton, are you saying I can't get from the Woodside farm moorings to Skipton?

Can you suggest somewhere I can re arrange deliveries, the men need vehicular access, obviously, close to the towpath!

I assume I need to turn round at some stage, any suggestions?

Edited by LadyG

4 hours ago, Midnight said:

News today Keadby railway vazon Bridge closed, culvert at Bradley on the L&L failed  Rochdale summit no water, and Huddersfield narrow always closed. That's Yorkshire effectively  closed yet again. P*ss up / brewery springs to mind.

What’s the reason given for the Vazon bridge stoppage? I can well imagine that NR wouldn’t want to move it today for fear it wouldn’t fit back in the space it vacated.

3 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

What’s the reason given for the Vazon bridge stoppage? I can well imagine that NR wouldn’t want to move it today for fear it wouldn’t fit back in the space it vacated.

It has indeed closed in the past due to high temperatures.

Possibly the same?

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I'm just bumping this, as need some immediate advice here about this.

I'm on the Silsden side of Bradley, I  have a turning point a mile ahead, should I move tonight in case the level falls further overnight, and I get grounded in the middle of nowhere.

What I am asking is, will the canal drain due to this culvert collapse? 

Will I be able to get to a public road at Kildwick from the south east turning point?

Edited by LadyG

25 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

It has indeed closed in the past due to high temperatures.

Possibly the same?

We get that on the Broads at St Olaves and Reedham swing bridges. In the good old days British Rail they changed the rails, spring and autumn .

34 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We get that on the Broads at St Olaves and Reedham swing bridges. In the good old days British Rail they changed the rails, spring and autumn .

I think that’s unlikely, new steel or old ot expands at the same rate.

What they did do was deploy people to spray the bridges with water to keep them cool.

40 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm just bumping this, as need some immediate advice here about this.

I'm on the Silsden side of Bradley, I  have a turning point a mile ahead, should I move tonight in case the level falls further overnight, and I get grounded in the middle of nowhere.

What I am asking is, will the canal drain due to this culvert collapse? 

Will I be able to get to a public road at Kildwick from the south east turning point?

I think you are on the same pound as the breach, so yes, the level will probably fall.  But the stoppage was posted at 13:45, so it should already have been falling for at least 7 hours; are your lines noticeably tight?  By tomorrow morning it should fall by about twice as much again - and then c&rt will put dams in place to stop it going down further

29 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I think you are on the same pound as the breach, so yes, the level will probably fall.  But the stoppage was posted at 13:45, so it should already have been falling for at least 7 hours; are your lines noticeably tight?  By tomorrow morning it should fall by about twice as much again - and then c&rt will put dams in place to stop it going down further

Lines still slack, ty.

It was two o'clock when I moored up, and I noticed the level was down four inches at that time, but it has not fallen since.

Edited by LadyG

We have just arrived in Skipton this evening. I have read the notice regarding the culvert at Bradley. My understanding is that there’s a 2 Mtr. hole, which I took as being in the top, maybe towpath level. Level hasn’t changed here. Same pound I think as LadyG.

Edited by Nightwatch

17 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We have just arrived in Skipton this evening. I have read the notice regarding the culvert at Bradley. My understanding is that there’s a 2 Mtr. hole, which I took as being in the top, maybe towpath level. Level hasn’t changed here. Same pound I think as LadyG.

Yes, but I'm the other side of the culvert, and I needed to take boat to Skipton to collect my furniture on Monday, I have to wind yet again, go back to boat club , wind again, and hope it's fixed in a few days. Not sure why dams required if it's just a hole in a culvert, what do I know😱