BSS survey fees rip off

Stevenet

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I hope you fed that back to BSS management

I didn't: he was utterly convinced he was right and I couldn't be bothered to argue for the price of a CO alarm.

He said, but what if another boat had a faulty appliance and their CO came in through my window. 

As has been said before, it's all getting a bit silly.

21 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You seriously think that would change anything? I suspect they think it's as daft as we do, but these things just keep going once started.

I suppose I could have reported the guy who failed mine because he didn't understand the wiring in the fuse box (he wasn't an electrician, unlike the bloke who put it in, so why should he?) but there's no point.

21 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You seriously think that would change anything? I suspect they think it's as daft as we do, but these things just keep going once started.

I suppose I could have reported the guy who failed mine because he didn't understand the wiring in the fuse box (he wasn't an electrician, unlike the bloke who put it in, so why should he?) but there's no point.

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I suppose I could have reported the guy who failed mine because he didn't understand the wiring in the fuse box (he wasn't an electrician, unlike the bloke who put it in, so why should he?)

Well the obvious answer is because he spent £5,000 and three weeks training how to understand such things. 

Which prompts a question. What exam if any, do the BSS examiners take at the end of their expensive and time consuming training?

And another. Out of all those shelling out on the BSS training course, what percentage fail the exam and are rejected (assuming there is an exam at all, that is)?

None I suspect. No matter how dire they are, all of them are let loose on the boat-owning public, I suspect. 

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I have no idea, but if they don't then definitely nothing will happen 

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have no idea, but if they don't then definitely nothing will happen 

I reckon what happens is, new BSS bods do the training course, get enrolled on the private register at BSS as a BSS bod and shoved out the door to do their worst. Those that generate a lot of complaints get hauled back in for 'further training' and if no reduction in office staff time fielding the complaints about them, they eventually get chucked off the register of BSS bods and denied access to the computer certificate system.

Those that keep their heads down, fail a few here and there but pass most and get minimal complaints, just carry on forever. 

Point being, its always worth registering a complaint even if the BSS office appears to do nothing about it, as it will be one more nail in the coffin of an incompetent inspector.

Edited by MtB
Add last para

8 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It might be possible that there has been a change due to complaints, examiners are now told not to look at electrics in detail, according to my examiner, he was Gas Safe plus lpg and boat, he knew what he was doing with gas.

I'm not convinced about any of these examiners, my boat had certificates (current and historic) when I bought it.

I examined the gas I discovered obvious fails. I complained to the examiner (well qualified surveyor), he came out quickly, and compensated me.

The next examiner put things right, I paid him to seal the gas locker and support unsupported piping. Both obvious fails.

Edited by LadyG

On 19/06/2022 at 21:41, ditchcrawler said:

I think he may have been wrong

It’s conceivable that he was right, but not possible to say for sure, depending on the size and layout of the boat, and the exact location of the first CO detector.

The (flimsy) pretext for CO detectors being in the BSS scope is based on CO emanating from other boats.

I’m still of the opinion that they are a good idea, but then I’m also of the opinion that keeping one’s stove in good order and the flue swept are good ideas as well.

1 hour ago, sueb said:

When I was on the management committee false claims were taken very seriously. If they aren't reported you only have yourself to blame.

I don't believe it. The four examiners prior to my last one were all seriously incompetent. I saw no point in reporting them, still don't.  If virtually every one who has examined my boat has been either an obvious idiot or corrupt I think I can safely assume that the controlling body doesn't give a toss, as there are certainly no follow up checks on their ability or knowledge. There's no doubt as to why a "customer satisfaction survey" on these tests isn't done.

When you are sure that no action will be taken except a cover up, you just sigh and pay up. Anything else is a waste of time and energy.

1 hour ago, sueb said:

When I was on the management committee false claims were taken very seriously. If they aren't reported you only have yourself to blame.

I gave up reporting the examiners as the only response I got from the BSS 'office' was "we will contact the examiner and see if he requires additional training" otherwise known as a 'fob-off',

In the end I set known failures for each BSS examiner and every one of them failed to find them and passed the boat, except one who failed the boat because it didn't have an RCD (which is only an advisory) and despite showing him the guidance documents he refused to issue the 'pass' until I sent him a photo of an RCD installed in the boat. Problem was he had wanted paying in advance so he had me over a barrel.

The whole system is corrupt and can only be viewed as an additional cost of £200? on the licence fee. You don't actually get any benefit from the BSSC , but I suppose it keeps some of the 'old-boys' in beer and fags.

Whilst the BSS is left to the examiners to interpret the rules, instead of applying them 'as written', and they are allowed to get away with 20 minute BSS examinations it makes the piece of paper 'worthless' and the system becomes contemptible