Looking for someone to install a water pump on a narrow boat - Oxford

Featured Posts

Hey there, I've ordered a new water pump for the narrow boat I'm taking care of and am looking for someone who can install it for me. 

It will be a case of removing the existing (broken) pump, and swapping it with the new one.

The model of the pump is a Shurflo Trial King 10, 30 PSI 12v – 10 LPM (Shurflo Trail King 10 Water Pump - Shurflo.eu)

The boat is moored at Bossoms Boat Yard in Oxford

Any recommendations or contacts most welcome :)

As they often have quick fix pipe fittings or easy unscrew unions I don't see why this is not a DIY job unless either the main shut off valve is stuck or the OP is in some way disabled. Take a photo of the connection where the pump wiring joins the boat wiring and just make sure it is the same. The wires are probably colour coded.

Two pipes and two wires to change over.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

As they often have quick fix pipe fittings or easy unscrew unions I don't see why this is not a DIY job unless either the main shut off valve is stuck or the OP is in some way disabled. Take a photo of the connection where the pump wiring joins the boat wiring and just make sure it is the same. The wires are probably colour coded.

Two pipes and two wires to change over.

Not everyone is capable of that .

2 minutes ago, martintownley said:

Yeah, just looking for someone who knows what they're doing really. The boat owners prefer it to be looked at with an experienced pair of eyes. There was some leakage caused by the previous pump, and a concern that the wires are water damaged.

So, it is not just someone needed to"change a pump" but someone who can check the plumbing system to see where the leak is/was and is is now corrected, and someone who can test the electrical system and see it the wiring is damaged.

The leak was definitely coming from the pump itself. It was sitting in a tray to catch potential leaks, and since the last time it was checked (roughly two months ago) the tray had filled up with water. So had kind of submerged the pump itself up to where the wires go in. So I suppose that might have damaged something at the other end of the wires? Anyway, yes you're right that is some crucial info that I missed out!

1 hour ago, martintownley said:

Yeah, just looking for someone who knows what they're doing really. The boat owners prefer it to be looked at with an experienced pair of eyes. There was some leakage caused by the previous pump, and a concern that the wires are water damaged.

Thanks, understood.

The chances of a fresh water leak damming the wiring if the pump is still running is very small indeed. It may have caused corrosion if the wires are bare copper but as long as the corrosion is cleaned off at the termination it is likely to go on working for years.

This may be a rigid pipe into pump problem (the leak) so the job gets larger. I have been known to drive to Oxford to help boaters but not this time, I fear the owner might turn out to be a problem.

Can't Bossoms, College Cruisers, or Oxford Cruisers recommend anyone?

I think as this is not your boat that you are on and the owner that you are looking after it for is concerned who does the work , so is paying for it, I would suggest first ask the boatyard where you are moored and if they can do it , if not take it to a boat yard that can do it so that you have a bill for the work carried out for the owner

Edited by ditchcrawler

40 minutes ago, martintownley said:

OK, yes I've reached out to the boat yards. Thanks for your help.

What's happened to speaking to people? Which part of your body did you extend in their general direction..

Plain, clear English

7 minutes ago, Slim said:

What's happened to speaking to people? Which part of your body did you extend in their general direction..

Plain, clear English

"reach out" - seek to establish communication with someone, with the aim of offering or obtaining assistance or cooperation

5 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes, what did they say?

I haven't had a response yet, and am just casting my net a bit wider in case anybody on here knows someone who can help.

21 minutes ago, martintownley said:

"reach out" - seek to establish communication with someone, with the aim of offering or obtaining assistance or cooperation

Yes it seems like plain, clear English to me. Perhaps Slim has never heard that idiom before? 

16 minutes ago, Slim said:

Humour failure?

Where was the humour exactly? I missed it too. 

Perhaps it's the way you tell 'em! 🤣

Edited by blackrose

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

The chances of a fresh water leak damming the wiring if the pump is still running is very small indeed. It may have caused corrosion if the wires are bare copper but as long as the corrosion is cleaned off at the termination it is likely to go on working for years.

On my water pump the electrical spade connectors were corroded due to a leak from the pump/

In this case the pump could be okay other than seals required , hence the leak. But pump replacement is better than repair and it sounds like the pump has been obtained.

Just now, blackrose said:

Yes it seems like plain, clear English to me. Perhaps Slim has never heard that idiom before? 

I have heard the 'reach out'  expression recently. I agree its perfectly good English.

Must admit it's not a term I have used.

I may have to reach out to the marina people at the weekend as I would like some diesel.

image.png.dbc10f1769a9143cb0d923d2f9abdddd.png

8 minutes ago, IanM said:

"Reach out" is a bit management speaky but is used quite a lot.

May be, but it is far from informative. I could be:

I have emailed

I have sent a text

I have posted of their social media site

I have left an answer phone message

I am waiting for them to call back

It might even be:

I don't like their price

I expect them to attend sooner than they say they can

They won't come to the boat

and so on. Typical meaningless gobbledegook.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

May be, but it is far from informative. I could be:

I have emailed

I have sent a text

I have posted of their social media site

I have left an answer phone message

I am waiting for them to call back

It might even be:

I don't like their price

I expect them to attend sooner than they say they can

They won't come to the boat

and so on. Typical meaningless gobbledegook.

Or maybe walking up to the office and speak to someone.

Give him a break guys, The fella has asked for some recommendations for someone to pay to.do the job. Possibly even hoping someone local might take a look ( I would but he's 200 miles away)...

And gets a load of grief... reach out is typical corporate speak these days  personally I wouldn't use it outside of a work context....

Actually I wouldn't use it at work either, as I typically dispise the brown nosers who use that sort of language....

• Greenie 1