Forum rules and guidelines?

Featured Posts

Is there a list of forum rules and posting guidelines? I can find a link in only first post on the “Guest and new members” sub-forum but following it just brings me back to the same post. I haven’t been able to find a link anywhere else so would appreciate if someone would point me in the right direction.

6 minutes ago, Porpentine said:

Is there a list of forum rules and posting guidelines? I can find a link in only first post on the “Guest and new members” sub-forum but following it just brings me back to the same post. I haven’t been able to find a link anywhere else so would appreciate if someone would point me in the right direction.

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/guidelines/

11 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But where is that linked from? I knew that the forum has a set of guidelines, but like the OP, I couldn't find them (viewing on my phone). Shouldn't the link be obvious on the home page?

Click on 'browse' in the tool bar (alongside the Canalworld logo) and the Rules & Guidelines 'drop down'.

Yes, they are slightly hidden away but they're easy to find one you know where to look! The word "Browse" appears at the top of the page. left of centre. Click on it and a range of choices will appear. "Rules and guidelines" is the fifth one down.

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Click on 'browse' in the tool bar (alongside the Canalworld logo) 

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

The word "Browse" appears at the top of the page.

Not on my phone:

1478541835_Screenshot_20220617-093924_SamsungInternet.jpg.762cba5bc8a9ce83c498b2050127bbb0.jpg

I have to click on the three bar menu on the right, then click on 'Browse' to expand the menu, to find it well down the resulting list.

If it is so difficult to find the forum rules using a device typical of those that many of us carry in our pockets, then it is hardly surprising if some members don't comply with the rules.

The Privacy Policy link appears on the footer of every forum page. Shouldn't the Rules and Guidelines be linked there also?

10 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Not on my phone:

1478541835_Screenshot_20220617-093924_SamsungInternet.jpg.762cba5bc8a9ce83c498b2050127bbb0.jpg

I have to click on the three bar menu on the right, then click on 'Browse' to expand the menu, to find it well down the resulting list.

If it is so difficult to find the forum rules using a device typical of those that many of us carry in our pockets, then it is hardly surprising if some members don't comply with the rules.

The Privacy Policy link appears on the footer of every forum page. Shouldn't the Rules and Guidelines be linked there also?

No excuse, but I suppose there is 'so much stuff' that could/should be on every page that there would be no space left for the discussions (when using a phone).

30 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Not on my phone:

I don't use a mobile phone, so my directions apply to a normal computer.

If it is true (and I have no idea) that some members look at CWDF on mobile phone screens, then I agree that the rules and guidelines section should be easier to find.

Just now, Athy said:

I don't use a mobile phone, so my directions apply to a normal computer.

If it is true (and I have no idea) that some members look at CWDF on mobile phone screens, then I agree that the rules and guidelines section should be easier to find.

That's wht I made the point in my first post that I am viewing on my phone.

I have made the Forum Rules & Guidelines link more prominent on the menu. 

Ideally it would be better at the bottom of each page near the privacy page link as mentioned. While easily done, it would require the theme to be manually updated each and every time time we upgrade the theme to the latest version, which is not only is a minor pain, but would also mean the site would be offline slightly longer during upgrades while we apply all the custom config for CWDF. Wherever possible, we try to keep things simple rather than add additional complexity but appreciate the point made by the OP. I have put it at the top for now. It will still appear slightly differently on mobile devices, but is now reduced to two clicks rather than three. 

13 minutes ago, MtB said:

There used to be a tiny direct link to the Posting Guidelines right at the bottom of every page on the forum (alongside the Privacy Policy and Contact Us links IIRC). I think it's a mistake to have removed it. 

So exactly why is that worse than having it prominently on the banner at the top?

Just now, Tonka said:

So if it is so hard to find , why do we get told off for breaking guidelines which are hidden.

They were not hidden. On a PC or device with larger screen resolution it was a 2 click process before, 3 for mobile devices which is why it has been reduced to 2 at most. Regardless, to join CWDF members have to agree to the forum rules & guidelines in order to create an account. Any changes to the FR&G are posted in the announcements. 

All that aside, the FR&G are mostly just common sense to be honest. In contrast, I used to moderate on a site where people would be warned/banned for posting in the wrong forum! We don't do anything like that here, it's all pretty laid back. If members keep it family friendly and have respect for others, they can't go far wrong!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, RichM said:

They were not hidden. On a PC or device with larger screen resolution it was a 2 click process before, 3 for mobile devices which is why it has been reduced to 2 at most.

This is missing the point. How are people who vaguely remember about there being guidelines from the day they signed up maybe a decade ago, supposed to know where there 2 or three clicks have to be made? 

Why has the link been removed from where it used to be, at the base of every page? Hiding the guidelines behind two levels of menu strikes me as counter-productive if you expect people to abide by them. 

Thank you, gents. But my screen does not look like that. It goes Member Map....Donate....More, so one still has to know that pressing the arrow beside "More" leads to the Rs & Gs.

Edited by Athy

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Thank you, gents. But my screen does not look like that. It goe Member Map....Donate....More, so one still has to know that pressing the arrow beside "More" leads to the Rs & Gs.

Maybe a short paragraph could be added to the bottom of every page on this site explaining how to find the link, given the apparent resistance to putting a link there directly, as we used to have for many years.

35 minutes ago, Athy said:

Thank you, gents. But my screen does not look like that. It goes Member Map....Donate....More, so one still has to know that pressing the arrow beside "More" leads to the Rs & Gs.

Have you considered that being logged in as a moderator will present you with a different screen from us plebs?

2 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Have you considered that being logged in as a moderator will present you with a different screen from us plebs?

That's a good point, but I don't think it's a factor. Buttons relating to moderation appear on a separate line.

My top line reads;

Browse...All activity...Gallery...Member map...Donate...More.

Does yours?

35 minutes ago, MtB said:

Maybe a short paragraph could be added to the bottom of every page on this site explaining how to find the link, given the apparent resistance to putting a link there directly, as we used to have for many years.

Or maybe we could just stop fretting about it and leave it as it is.

Being prominently displayed at the top right of every page seems more than adequate to me. 

I can't explain though why @Athy cannot see it other then a possible explanation by @Puffling