Submarine on the A&C?

Featured Posts

While looking for information about local boarding kennels I happened across this:

About 15 years ago (2002) the late Joe Green of this village asked me to undertake research into his claim that he witnessed the passage of a mini submarine on the river Aire somewhere in Methley .

I did make some in depth enquiries at the time but I was unable to confirm such a journey. Joe always furthered the subject when we met, I suspect to overcome the disbelief of his claim by some of his tap room cynics, but again, no luck with the enquiries. He was however, able to tell me that it was called the ‘Sprat’.

Enquiries did reveal that there had been some five such vessels tied up in Hull docks in the 1950’s but no report of any inland waterway journeys.

In September this year (2017) quite by chance in Normanton library I came across the attached photograph in a book covering local canals where it was reported that the vessel was en route from Wakefield to Leeds and navigated on the surface of the canal for clearance purposes. The book was unable to confirm the date.

At this stage a conversation with Vera Garland at the weekly Archives gathering enabled me to call Joe’s daughter Joan in Lofthouse and relate the find to her. Joan was able to add more to the story claiming that as a young girl she also saw the vessel along with her father and others from the village watching it negotiating Kippax Locks.

Joan also added that the Rothwell Record had since reported the story and offered to provide me with a copy of their coverage.
Sorry Joe it’s all a bit late!

https://www.methley-village.co.uk/joe-green-midget-submarine

It seems scarcely believable.

I wonder if this was actually the submarine version of the three narrow boats that toured the canals in the 70s for recruiting purposes rather than at true miniature submarine. I thought mini-subs were manned by frogmen rather than uniformed naval and cadet personell. I think the others were a "destroyer" and an "aircraft carrier".

This might just be the one.  Moored up at Wakefield, approximately where the Sea Scouts are now.  The light coloured warehouse to the left is still standing.

Sorry about the quality, it’s a copy of a copy.

IMG_0124.jpg.63da211d1ccbd19f3f607344a440ae4a.jpg

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/96563-submarine-at-wakefield-wharf/&do=findComment&comment=2151288

Attached is a link to something  posted in 2018 regarding the construction of X craft or miniature submarines and other small warships in Huddersfield during WW2 which may be of interest.

Howard

• Greenie 1

I was a Sea Cadet at Wakefield. The Submarine turned up mid Parade night , que stampede outside

I believe the date was in 1963 as I was in the cadets 1961 to 1967 and possible I am on the motor boat as guide as I was picked to help. Nobody got inside as I remember. The two Seamen with white jumpers are crew members. The buildings behind came down in 1964/65 and the motorboat "Delta?" left and went to Leeds in 1964.