Solar

dave mackie

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, dave mackie said:

I've 700w of solar, and a bank of four leoch 12v 130ah battery's. Would this be enough power to run fridge ,a couple of led lights and 12v tv

Yes, but for how long and at what time of year is very much open to question. Probably no from mid-October to April.

If you don't keep the batteries as fully charged as possible each day then expect a shorter battery life than otherwise.

300w of solar does that for me... in the summer. An hour of engine about 9am gives me a tank of hot water and that bit of bulk charge with my 150a alternator extends my 'full batteries without cruising' ability into spring and autumn, though I rarely spend more than 2 days in one place anyway. My winter cruising involves moving every day.

How big is the tv?  How many hours a day will it be on?

What sort of fridge is it?  If 240v, what inverter are you using?

Where is your boat moored?  Full sun?  Semi shaded?  Shaded?

Can you angle your panels?  If so, are you orientated east-west, so your panels can tilt to face south?

Edited by doratheexplorer

45w 12v TV ,12v shoreline fridge 5hrs TV  worst case scenario (winter). Full sun with no obstructions. Flat panels.

I have a Victron blue smart charger that I have on while in marina but was just wondering if I actually need to have it on permanently due to having the solar set up at this time of yr ?

12 minutes ago, dave mackie said:

I wouldn't need shoreline 240v while out the marina as I will be cruising everyday so alternator would do the changing 

So why why are you ......................

35 minutes ago, dave mackie said:

............wondering if I actually need to have it on permanently

The answer is NO it doesn't need to be switched on - it is doing nothing, it is not connected to a supply and will not be charging the battery(s)

It does no harm in leaving it switched on - it is like leaving something switched on and just turning it off at the plug - it is not 'live' without a supply.

• Unimpressed 1

11 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

The obvious answer is switch it off and see!

Agreed, but I would be reluctant to advise that unless the OP knows how to monitor the batteries. He could probably discharge them to a very ow level without any signs and thus potentially damage the batteries. It will also vary according to time of year and cloud cover.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

Agreed, but I would be reluctant to advise that unless the OP knows how to monitor the batteries. He could probably discharge them to a very ow level without any signs and thus potentially damage the batteries.

I was wondering if he was onboard or leaving the boat.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think he means does he need it on while he is in the marina or would the solar do the job

16 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

The obvious answer is switch it off and see!

Indeed. But broadly, the answer is that he will probably be OK in Summer, OK on sunny days in Spring and Autumn, but not in winter. 

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I was wondering if he was onboard or leaving the boat.

I assume he won't be running the TV for five hours a day if he is not on board.

But then if he is away from the boat for more than a day or two, why leave the fridge on? My experience is that a modest amount of solar is fine for keeping the batteries topped up even in the middle of winter, if nothing else is switched on.

Edited by David Mack

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe the OP can explain what he actually means as there is obvioulsy some different interpretations of the question.

Nobody else seems to be having any trouble understanding. What are you struggling with? Perhaps we can find a 5 year old to help you :)

27 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Nobody else seems to be having any trouble understanding. What are you struggling with? Perhaps we can find a 5 year old to help you :)

I don't think that is a fair comment. I have not noticed the OP explaining  his mode of use of the boat and that is important. The answer may well be different if he is living aboard rather than some other usage.  The original question left so much out it was impossible to answer with any certainty. Then the OP gave out a bit more info but judging by the David's post still not enough to be sure of the advice.

One of the posts in this topic has been reported by a "Guest". May I remind our readers that our policy is generally to disregard anonymous letters, especially when, as in this case, they have no merit or substance. So don't bother wasting your time and ours.

10 hours ago, Athy said:

One of the posts in this topic has been reported by a "Guest". May I remind our readers that our policy is generally to disregard anonymous letters, especially when, as in this case, they have no merit or substance. So don't bother wasting your time and ours.

Totally bonkers that is even still possible.

This has been raised before.