Diamond Jubilee - St Pancras Cruising Club Cruise

Featured Posts

Over the bank holiday we organised three cruises:

Apart from a bit of sea sickness in Gravesend, it all went very well. The Royal Fleet Auxilary MOUNTS BAY was also there ....

dsc_7179.jpg

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Great report and pictures as usual, is 16 a record for leaving Limehouse ? Bit troubled though - were you 10 years behind time  in your title or are you remaining in the diamond league 🤣

Thanks! The record is about 25, I think.  If I had a pound for every time I had typed Diamond rather than Platinum in the last six months of organising this,  I would be doing rather well. Three of us were sporting our Diamond Jubilee Pageant flags, though, including BEATTY. I flew mine on the lead boat, even though the participant was me rather than the boat...

dsc_7236.jpg?w=1024

7 hours ago, Grassman said:

Wonderful.

And a lot of bottle battling with those high winds!

Thanks! The wind wasn't too bad, but the wind over tide at Gravesend was unpleasant. We departed 30 mins after low water, with the benefit of hindsight I think I should have waited a bit longer for the waves to fully die down. Half a mile inland it was like a millpond.  I personally think smaller nbs handle these conditions better, yes they pitch a lot, but they are much less likely to ship water eg through side doors, sink drains etc,

• 2 months later...
On 15/06/2022 at 06:31, Scholar Gypsy said:

Thanks! The record is about 25, I think.  If I had a pound for every time I had typed Diamond rather than Platinum in the last six months of organising this,  I would be doing rather well. Three of us were sporting our Diamond Jubilee Pageant flags, though, including BEATTY. I flew mine on the lead boat, even though the participant was me rather than the boat...

dsc_7236.jpg?w=1024

I went through Limehouse lock in 1984, and there were , if I recall correctly, 45 narrowboats in the lock at the same time, with room for quite a few more. This was the St Pancras "Last Chance" cruise, when the old ship lock was still in operation, but its closure for rebuilding was soon to happen.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

What are the arrangements for the illuminated cruise, please? I'm struggling to find any details.

Arrangements are still somewhat fluid (to quote the leader of the NB squadron, as flexible is too rigid a concept).  But basically:

* about a dozen NBs will depart Limehouse at lunchtime.

* The EA are helpfully turning the tide off for the day, by shutting the Thames Barrier.

* We will muster, I suspect from about 1500 onwards, near Chelsea harbour, ie between Battersea road and rail bridges. We may find something to moor to, or anchor, or drift around in circles for a while, or pop up to Hammersmith for a pint (no, that's not allowed).

* the procession proper, with lots of white illuminations, will start at Chelsea bridge at 1930 (so excellent viewing from Battersea park on the south bank)

.. * and finish at Tower Bridge at 2015, which will be lifted

* and then we lock in at Limehouse later that evening.

In silence, we will be saluting HMS Belfast as we go past (so good views from the north bank at the Tower).  The NBs are right at the rear of the powered boat group of about 80 boats, just in front of the Royal rowarge GLORIANA which leads the unpowered boats.

https://thamesfestivaltrust.org/reflections-2022/

3 hours ago, monkeyhanger said:

What are the arrangements for the illuminated cruise, please? I'm struggling to find any details.

I saw your post on Facebook today, so I'm up to date with it. Thanks.

And my computer has just updated, so I can now see your more comprehensive post on here. Thanks again.

Edited by monkeyhanger
  • Greenie 1