Crane for a 12ft widebeam 68ft canal boat in the Great Ouse / Cam area

Dave J

Featured Posts

I'm in the process of buying my first canalboat - it needs to be transported from Rugby area to Cambridgshire and then lifting off the transport. I've spoken to Upware marina (who were really helpful) but the length is an issue for them. Does anyone have any recommendations for lifting in this area?

Assuming the marina don't have a suitable crane on site or a local contractor they normally use, then best get whoever is arranging the transport to sort the crane out as well. They will know which companies have the capability/experience.

Edited by David Mack

5 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Speak to Tuckeys who will sort it all out for you -probably be able to crane in at Popes Corner or if you just got transport and need a lift off the lorry speak to the good folk at Earith.

Travelling The Old West with something that sIze will be fun ;)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I was thinking that 😀 mind you is a few that size moored there. 

It will fit though as I know of one Duchy that went that way and beyond before getting wedged in St Ives and having leeboards removed.

To the OP- if you go that way , I would love to come along ...

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

😀the OP- if you go that way , I would love to come along ...

And I'll make sure we're securely moored.

Wouldn't want to meet it at the bridge at Twenty Pence.

15 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Speak to Tuckeys who will sort it all out for you -probably be able to crane in at Popes Corner or if you just got transport and need a lift off the lorry speak to the good folk at Earith.

Thanks for the adive - I'm getting a couple of quotes so defintely adding these to the list 👍

16 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

As well as Earith, I think the cradle at Hermitage can probably handle this boat (contact via Cathedral marina, Ely).

Thanks - I'll speak to them too, slightly nervous about hermitage lock but looking forward to the learning curve / cliff! 

16 hours ago, Loddon said:

Excuse my ignorance - The Old West? I won't be doing a lot of cruising outside of the Ouse / Cam so hopefully we won't create a blockage!

16 hours ago, PaulJ said:

I was thinking that 😀 mind you is a few that size moored there. 

It will fit though as I know of one Duchy that went that way and beyond before getting wedged in St Ives and having leeboards removed.

To the OP- if you go that way , I would love to come along ...

I may take you up on that - I know very little and happy for any help 😉 

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is this the boat that as been sunk by any chance?

No - well hopefully not! 2018 build and one previous owner

31 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I may take you up on that - I know very little and happy for any help 😉 

Love to -if thats the way you have to do it I would really enjoy the chance to have a play on that section with something a bit wider. 

And as it happens Im fully insured too 😀

55 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Thanks - I'll speak to them too, slightly nervous about hermitage lock but looking forward to the learning curve / cliff! 

Excuse my ignorance - The Old West? I won't be doing a lot of cruising outside of the Ouse / Cam so hopefully we won't create a blockage!

To work out the headroom at Hermitage lock,  subtract the reading on this gauge from 4 1 metres. Currently bags of room....

https://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Detail/1598/1742

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

To work out the headroom at Hermitage lock,  subtract the reading on this gauge from 4 1 metres. Currently bags of room....

https://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Detail/1598/1742

That's really useful - thank you  very much!

21 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Love to -if thats the way you have to do it I would really enjoy the chance to have a play on that section with something a bit wider. 

And as it happens Im fully insured too 😀

That would be really appreciated - I'll stay in touch and let you know dates - it's likely to be late July / early August depending on transport availability etc

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

A few photos of Hermitage when the level is much higher than it is now. Plan B was to go through the lock backwards, but as you can see it was not necessary. (The bridge slopes a bit in both dimensions, and my boat is higher at the bows than the stern)

https://scholargypsy.org.uk/2016/04/18/a-tight-squeeze-at-hermitage/

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
  • Horror 1