Make of narrowboat and engine

GAK

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, GAK said:

Perfect thanks so much..are BMC engines reliable. Looking on Apolloduck for engines.

Yes but the issue maybe to distinguish one in good order from one that has had a couple of cans of spray paint put over it, and is being sold as claimed "fully reconditioned".  Buyer beware!

15 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It will be cheaper and more reliable, I bet, to fit a new Canaline engine, they will drop on the existing bearers if it was a 1.5D BMC originally.

I have no idea of pricing on Canaline units, but feel sure you can probably still source a (claimed!) rebuilt BMC for less.

Certainly not a recommendation, but here is what Calcutt currently say about reconditioned engines they can supply.....

http://www.calcuttboats.com/engines.html

8 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I have no idea of pricing on Canaline units, but feel sure you can probably still source a (claimed!) rebuilt BMC for less.

Certainly not a recommendation, but here is what Calcutt currently say about reconditioned engines they can supply.....

http://www.calcuttboats.com/engines.html

I think that the OP has no engine for exchange so Calcutt cannot supply him with an engine.

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I think that the OP has no engine for exchange so Calcutt cannot supply him with an engine.

Very valid point - you are clearly more awake than I am!

I wonder where the engine the boat did have must have gone?

The problem with buying a second hand BMC, of course, is why would anybody take one out of a boat if it was still in good order.

5 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Correct I have no engine to exchange 🙃 thank Alan for link to Calcutt and buyer beware warning on nicely sprayed engines 👍

30 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

From there on in it will be a labour of love for three months or so 

Best of luck.

How many times have we heard that, and it took 3 years! 😉👍😄

I’m a very optimistic person😂let’s hope my rough time line on each stage is correct if not it is was it is🙃. I’ll keep all posted as I’ll be on here a lot for advice...any help along this journey will be most appreciated 🙂

16 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes, but they are getting rather long in the tooth now, especially the 1.5, so you need to take care that you don't buy a worn out pile of junk.

I believe that Calcutt have maintained their connection with BMC engines. They may still supply reconditioned ones, I'm not sure.

21 minutes ago, Athy said:

I believe that Calcutt have maintained their connection with BMC engines. They may still supply reconditioned ones, I'm not sure.

Thank you will ring them today many thanks 

3 minutes ago, GAK said:

Thank you will ring them today many thanks 

It might be worth removing / changing your 'location' from your Post Code to something more generic like "London"

When you report that you're on your boat all the badies will know that postcode XX17 2XX is empty.

Never be too free with personal information.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

The problem with buying a second hand BMC, of course, is why would anybody take one out of a boat if it was still in good order.

Wasn't there a rather well known "boat repair" company which shall remain nameless who had a habit of telling people they needed new engines when it was not strictly required. 

The old "nackered" engines then finding their way onto the second hand market with new paint. 

There could be some perfectly good secondhand units about if this theory is correct. 

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It might be worth removing / changing your 'location' from your Post Code to something more generic like "London"

When you report that you're on your boat all the badies will know that postcode XX17 2XX is empty.

Never be too free with personal information.

Thank you so much never realised that was on my profile, changed now must have been when I signed up 👍🏻

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Buy the crappiest BMC you can find and do the Calcutt exchange.

5 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Buy the crappiest BMC you can find and do the Calcutt exchange.

Ah, But.

Calcutt demand a unit that is reconditionable so that may shoot that idea down.  Whether a block that is already bored to the maximum overbore of 60 thou would be accepted is another matter.

Anything with cracks would be refused for sure.

• Love 1

56 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Wasn't there a rather well known "boat repair" company which shall remain nameless who had a habit of telling people they needed new engines when it was not strictly required. 

Yes there is, spray paint reconditioners are key to this scam by the boat rescuing company.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Ah, But.

Calcutt demand a unit that is reconditionable so that may shoot that idea down.  Whether a block that is already bored to the maximum overbore of 60 thou would be accepted is another matter.

Brilliant, all this information is so useful thanks so much 👍

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Yes there is, spray paint reconditioners are key to this scam by the boat rescuing company.

Thank you for the name and shame won’t be going there many thanks 🙏 

8 minutes ago, GAK said:

Brilliant, all this information is so useful thanks so much 👍

Thank you for the name and shame won’t be going there many thanks 🙏 

There are actually 2 firms hidden in my last post.  One is a wholly owned subsidiary of the other.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

12 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Ah, But.

FWIW and I don't know if this is still viable.

We had a number of 1.5s bored out and sleeved back to standard. We also had a 1.5 that for some reason I could never fathom that cracked a bore. That one got satisfactorily sleeved as well.

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

FWIW and I don't know if this is still viable.

We had a number of 1.5s bored out and sleeved back to standard. We also had a 1.5 that for some reason I could never fathom that cracked a bore. That one got satisfactorily sleeved as well.

At the prices quoted by Calcutt for a recon I would doubt that they would freely entertain boring and dry sleeving a block.

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

From there on in it will be a labour of love for three months or so 

Best of luck.

How many times have we heard that, and it took 3 years! 😉👍😄

My thoughts exactly. That is not 3 months work even working 24/7

59 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

At the prices quoted by Calcutt for a recon I would doubt that they would freely entertain boring and dry sleeving a block.

I remember 25 years ago discussing with Calcutts what they meant by 'reconditioned' . I went away and did my own thing with a scrapyard 1.8 out of a Sherpa. It's still going strong.