Potential hydraulicing on canaline engine?

Featured Posts

My new boat has a canaline 38 engine.  In conversation with another owner i noticed the exhaust runs level, then down to exhaust manifold. Without a rise in pipe from the point it exits the hull, is there not a possibility water could run in and straight down into exhaust manifold, causing engine to hydraulic and seize ?  Surely it should have an intial rise to allow water to drain back out ? 

Any thoughts please ? 

14 hours ago, Norm55 said:

My new boat has a canaline 38 engine.  In conversation with another owner i noticed the exhaust runs level, then down to exhaust manifold. Without a rise in pipe from the point it exits the hull, is there not a possibility water could run in and straight down into exhaust manifold, causing engine to hydraulic and seize ?  Surely it should have an intial rise to allow water to drain back out ? 

Any thoughts please ? 

Should definitely slope uphill or have a Swan neck. Over the years I have had a number of boats with wrecked engines due to water down the exhaust. Just poor workmanship by the builder/engine installer.

• 1 month later...

Just an update,  all snagging work done with no quibble. Exhaust realined and now having decent fall.  One new problem however is waste tank smell.  No amount of Blue will cure it. Guage says only half full. Also was expecting it to last longer than 6 days with 300 litre capacity tank 

• Greenie 1

On 13/06/2022 at 12:38, ditchcrawler said:

With strawberries and cream

Sounds a right mess to me. 

I never liked their boats. Insisting on putting their name on the side is really naff. I dunno why their customers put up with it.

1 hour ago, Norm55 said:

Just an update,  all snagging work done with no quibble. Exhaust realined and now having decent fall.  One new problem however is waste tank smell.  No amount of Blue will cure it. Guage says only half full. Also was expecting it to last longer than 6 days with 300 litre capacity tank 

We can go 3 weeks on a 330L waste tank with a macerator toilet, perhaps longer if we were really parsimonious with the flushing. If you have a macerator with this a new EM boat, are you using the large flush every time, if you are then try and economise on the flushing, especially after a wee, just empty the toilet and do not flush it.

Is the waste tank smell coming out of the vent pipe outside the hull or can you smell it inside the boat. Do you have a leaky connection in the waste pipe plumbing or the vent plumbing, is the waste tank vent pipe connected to the hull fitting or just hanging loose inside the boat. Has proper sanatory pipe / hose been used, if not smells could be leaching out, with equipment shortages is someone taking a short cut in using whatever they can get their hands on. In my recent new boat the builder had wrapped the sanatory hose in foil tape as an extra barrier, not sure if this is effective or not but seems like a good idea, and all hoses have been double clipped for extra security and leak tightness.

Thanks for suggestions.    Er indoors double flushes all the time as sometimes we are " getting our own back " on eco flush. 

The smell is a putrid but plastic smell, not just drains.  Inside only, stick my nose down the outside tube and no smell except blue.   I have taken bed up looked underneath with camera. Dry sawdust on floor suggests no leak  .  First thought was vent pipe was poor fit. They say no...and they put gaffer tape round it.  But it is also coming from wardrobe, where filter is.  They have replaced 2 NR valve, saying i need to empty it more often.   Guage still only indicates half full on the 8 th day.   Smell is also not consistent, sometimes worse than other times.  Pipes are wrapped in Vetus Sanitary hose. 

Begining to wish had joined cassette brigade 

If you have plastic hoses (not pipes) between toilet and tank, and again from tank to pump out fittings be aware that some makes are very poor quality and go porous to gasses. Even the good quality hose can pass smells after a number of years. Others with such toilets seem to recommend changing the hoses for rigid pipe. Make sure there are no bends in any hose where effluent can lay.

Personally I would do away with the filter and pipe the breather through the hull. It sounds like yet another case of insufficient breather capacity on the tank plus the use of blue.

• Greenie 2

10 hours ago, Norm55 said:

Thanks for suggestions.    Er indoors double flushes all the time as sometimes we are " getting our own back " on eco flush. 

The smell is a putrid but plastic smell, not just drains.  Inside only, stick my nose down the outside tube and no smell except blue.   I have taken bed up looked underneath with camera. Dry sawdust on floor suggests no leak  .  First thought was vent pipe was poor fit. They say no...and they put gaffer tape round it.  But it is also coming from wardrobe, where filter is.  They have replaced 2 NR valve, saying i need to empty it more often.   Guage still only indicates half full on the 8 th day.   Smell is also not consistent, sometimes worse than other times.  Pipes are wrapped in Vetus Sanitary hose. 

Begining to wish had joined cassette brigade 

Between pump-outs, is the boat left unused for any lenght of time, 1-3+ days?

If so I've found that filling the bowl twice with clean water, flushes the pipes and vacuum pump clear of contents, leaving only clean water in any puddles.

We do this if the boat is left more than 24 hrs.

Bod

On my boat the original owner had the boatbuilder replace the flexible pipes between the macerator toilet and tank with solid plastic ones because he could smell them. No smells now.

Is your toilet a dump through? If so they all smell when the flap in the bowl is opened, especially in hot weather.

No amount of blue will overcome this and if bleach has been used to clean it will really smell as it kills of the "good" bacteria as well as the bad.

My exhaust is also horizontal. Can I create a swan neck by cutting 18" out and fitting a flexible exhaust pipe supported from the underside of the cruiser deck by a couple of steel cable ties? I've got about a foot of height above the existing exhaust pipe. 

This sort of thing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131335394556?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=hCHpdOI-SM-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=SV_sF0T7SiS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by blackrose

31 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

They fixed mine via an exhaust clamp fixed to underside of deck . This gave it more angle.  No swan neck. 

Did that not transmit a lot of vibration and noise to the deck?  So they bent the flexy to move the pipe?  Not a good idea in my book.

1 hour ago, Norm55 said:

They fixed mine via an exhaust clamp fixed to underside of deck . This gave it more angle.  No swan neck. 

Yes that's what I mean, more angle. I guess it would need something more substantial than steel cable ties. 

Edited by blackrose

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

Back to the smell from poo tank issue... measured up tank and having specified a 320 litre, i got a 220 litre....no wonder its filling so quickly.   Getting p***ed off with this lot now. 

You get what you pay for, or you get what you deserve.  Rarely do you get what you ask for!  You are not the first to be disillusioned with a new boat, and certainly not the last.

There is a mind set at present to pare back specs to make more money and hope that no one notices.