Piling clip for rotary dryer

Featured Posts

The laundry operation is being improved on board and this includes the provision of a small rotary dryer. Seen the brackets that allow for putting the dryer on the tiller but don't think that is going to work for us. 

Has a yone ever seen a clip on bracket that fits on the standard piling?

Before reinventing the wheel thought I would ask the collective. 

26 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Depends on the design of your boat but I used a Munsen ring and deck cup to fit a TV aerial pole to the side of the cruiser stern gas tank. The same could be done with a different sized Munsen ring for the drier pole.

I did something very similar for my sun umbrella. In my case two lifting eyes welded onto a plate which in turn is bolted to my morse control pillar. For my rotary dryer I have a length of 38mm ? plastic drain pipe cable tied to my swan neck. A bolt through the pipe at an appropriate place prevents the dryer tube going too far down the plastic one. yes, I do have one of those tiller mounted umbrella/dryer brackets but I found it virtually usless   

Ingenious idea. I'd worry about the forces that a whirligig drier would put on armco piling. Especially loaded up with sheets on a windy day. That's a lot of twisting force being applied to some steel that doesn't feel like it was designed for those sorts of forces and directions. Could end up bending the steel, which won't make the navigation people happy, or you if your laundry ends up on a muddy tow path, or in the cut.

Another useful type of clamp for poles are car exhaust clamps. I've used these in the past to attach TV aerials and for a heavy solar panel holder to the boat. Available to suit many sizes of pipe, or pole.

Something I havent needed as yet so never got round to making but thought of something like one of those umbrella holders but with a ring/small tube attached to the side and not the top.

Your drier pole would just slide through and sit on the rear deck though would need a strap to hold it in place at the bottom to stop it sliding about on a windy day.

1 hour ago, Slim said:

... I do have one of those tiller mounted umbrella/dryer brackets but I found it virtually useless ...

Same, gave it away to someone at the marina a few weeks ago. They came back and gave us a couple of bottles of beer so it was a win/win :D 

1 hour ago, Slim said:

I do have one of those tiller mounted umbrella/dryer brackets but I found it virtually usless   

I drilled a hole through mine (top and bottom of the tube) so that I could put the tiller pin through it to keep the rotary drier vertical as the thumb screws would not grip enough to stop it rotating.

23 minutes ago, PeterF said:

I drilled a hole through mine (top and bottom of the tube) so that I could put the tiller pin through it to keep the rotary drier vertical as the thumb screws would not grip enough to stop it rotating.

I've seen others use this modification and it works. Another mod would be to drill divots in the tiller to take the thumb screws, which would again stop it rotating.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

4 hours ago, PeterF said:

We did exactly the same

We bought one of these at crick the other week (well she did!). The design must have been updated recently as ours came with a tiller pin size hole already in it 

Given the dust created by speeding cyclists on the towpath, I forsee a perpetual cycle (see what I did there) of washing and drying... ☹️

Mind you sheets blowing in the breeze over the towpath might slow the cyclists down. 😅

1 hour ago, Moke said:

We bought one of these at crick the other week (well she did!). The design must have been updated recently as ours came with a tiller pin size hole already in it 

No problem with a scaffolding clamp. 👍

16551398313207472594811055886429.jpg

2 hours ago, Moke said:

Ours was bought several years ago and also had the tiller pin hole, which makes it useless for brollies as who in their right mind stands that far back on the tiller?

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

Ours was bought several years ago and also had the tiller pin hole, which makes it useless for brollies as who in their right mind stands that far back on the tiller?

You have to stand back there when it rains so you can close the slide and doors to keep the rain out.😁

I used a rotary with a tripod base. I load it on the towpath then stand it on the roof with the centre over the centre rope ring which I tie to for stability. Very quick drying because of the reflected heat from the roof. I think the airier was about £30, believe it was a Minky.

25 minutes ago, WhiteSuit said:

I used a rotary with a tripod base. I load it on the towpath then stand it on the roof with the centre over the centre rope ring which I tie to for stability. Very quick drying because of the reflected heat from the roof. I think the airier was about £30, believe it was a Minky.

Do you have a licence for your Minky?

image.jpeg.362c082e33fabb6a1f65d1ae6100b950.jpeg

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks all for the responses. Brian - your sketch design was what i had in mind. It would need so e form of clamp to secure it 

I thought about the tiller mounted type but had not considered using the tiller pin to secure it. I will look into it again.

Tripod on the roof is another thought.

If i happen to make a piling fixing version ill post a picture of it. Might be an excuse to buy the welder???

Cheers😀