Free boat lifting area

Cpv1000

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

P-and-S-Marine_hyab_2-800x600.jpg

That pic makes no sense on several levels to me.

It looks photoshopped to start with. The boat overlaps the lorry cab, the cab seems to have too many axles, the trailer axles look weirdly misaligned with the tractor axles. Also why is it unloading there? Seems to be unloading the boat onto the opposite side of the lorry to the water and why would they put it down right there anyway?

Also, boat appears to have no rudder or propeller. 

<puzzled.com>

52 minutes ago, dmr said:

There have been a couple of accidents over the last few years where the bank has given way causing a vehicle to tip into the canal. One was fatal. There are also various services under the towpath (fibre optic cables) and I suspect this was done on the cheap. CRT are going to be unhappy about heavy vehicles near the canal without their approval.

Driver leaps to safety as crane topples into Apperley Bridge canal | Bradford Telegraph and Argus (thetelegraphandargus.co.uk)

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

It looks photoshopped to start with. The boat overlaps the lorry cab, the cab seems to have too many axles, the trailer axles look weirdly misaligned with the tractor axles. Also why is it unloading there? Seems to be unloading the boat onto the opposite side of the lorry to the water and why would they put it down right there anyway?

<puzzled.com>

The trailer has been uncoupled to the landward side, then the tractor/hiab unit reversed between the trailer and the water. This allows the hiab unit to get closer to the centre of the boat so the lift is shorter (lower tonne/metres needed). It will probably lift, swing the boat round 90degrees behind the hiab, cross it over, straighten up and drop in the water so the tonne/metres needed is kept to a minimum.

The largest hiab I have hired to move a boat is 120tonnes at 1metre, which was quite a feat by the driver reversing it with a 40ft trailer down a single track lane with a sharp bend in it. Fortunately it was rear-wheel steer but even so!

Alec

Edited by agg221

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

<puzzled.com>

It is an Artic, that has dropped off the trailer, he then drove between the trailer and the bankside so he could lift the boat, rotate and drop it into the water.

The boat prop & rudder is behind the 'front boards' on the trailer.

Is that 'pop' extra strong tonight ?

The Truck is owned by P&S Marine (Canal Boat transport).

P&S Marine | Canal Boat Craneage in Watford | Vessel Repair and Maintenance | Engineering (pandsmarine.co.uk)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

9 minutes ago, MtB said:

A bigger 'ask' than I think he realises as this must be one helluva Hiab lorry to be capable of lifting a boat weighing perhaps 4 tonnes at 10ft reach. 

There are a few people offering this service for boat moving on line, one example

About Us - Boat Transport, Crane assisted (gmronline.co.uk)

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

<puzzled.com>

The trailer has been dropped of and the tractor unit parked alongside to allow the hiab to be positioned adjacent to the  centre of the trailer to give maximum lifting capacity

28 minutes ago, MtB said:

<puzzled.com>

Its an uncoupled artic trombone trailer with the long chassis tractor unit with Hiab behind it so that the Hiab can be closer to the water. It will lift and swing the boat behind the tractor, over the 5th wheel and into the water.

There are no towpath moorings in the Rugby area (except Newbold - which I understand are all taken).

All long term moorings are either off-side or marina/boat yard, in which case why can't OP drop it in at his mooring?

Or, is there no mooring arranged?

You should watch some of the TV house building programs.........truck cranes reaching 100ft over a new house with 1/2 ton triple glazed windows.......I recently had a machine delivered by a Palfinger 32 ton /metre crane ........the 6ton machine was lifted and placed like it was a toy. 20 feet from the truck.......Truck and crane brand new ,charged me $220/hr ,which would have been OK,if the machine hadnt spewed oily water all over the truck......and cost me $440 to clean it up.

9 hours ago, zenataomm said:

There are no towpath moorings in the Rugby area (except Newbold - which I understand are all taken).

All long term moorings are either off-side or marina/boat yard, in which case why can't OP drop it in at his mooring?

Or, is there no mooring arranged?

Why does the OP have to have a mooring at Newbold?

59 minutes ago, Cpv1000 said:

I have a long term mooring at newbold, also im getting my boat lifted in at dunchurch marina for £25 so its as good as free.😀😀😀😀

You’ve done well there. I rang around and most people wanted £250 off a hiab. I thought I did well at £150 and that was only after some bargaining.

Good luck I hope it goes well 

1 hour ago, Cpv1000 said:

I have a long term mooring at newbold, also im getting my boat lifted in at dunchurch marina for £25 so its as good as free.😀😀😀😀

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Good result

Considering Dunchurch have a shiny new and very expensive lift , I think that is quite generous. Always found them to be very friendly and helpful there. 10/10.

9 hours ago, john.k said:

You should watch some of the TV house building programs.........truck cranes reaching 100ft over a new house with 1/2 ton triple glazed windows.......I recently had a machine delivered by a Palfinger 32 ton /metre crane ........the 6ton machine was lifted and placed like it was a toy. 20 feet from the truck.......Truck and crane brand new ,charged me $220/hr ,which would have been OK,if the machine hadnt spewed oily water all over the truck......and cost me $440 to clean it up.

But lifting stuff in Australia is easy compared to the UK.  Its all the other way up.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why does the OP have to have a mooring at Newbold?

I'll try rewording that.

The OP is in the Rugby area.  So I assume he has arranged a mooring in that area.

Why can't he arrange dropping it in at the mooring?

That should be easy to arrange as all the moorings I can think of on that stretch are either off-side or marina/boat yard.  None of which should bother CRT.
The only exception, which would be impossible to drop in at, due to being towpath side is Newbold, which I understand is fully occupied anyway.

Of course he may not have a mooring and is planning to cc around Rugby 😬

2 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I'll try rewording that.

The OP is in the Rugby area.  So I assume he has arranged a mooring in that area.

Why can't he arrange dropping it in at the mooring?

That should be easy to arrange as all the moorings I can think of on that stretch are either off-side or marina/boat yard.  None of which should bother CRT.
The only exception, which would be impossible to drop in at, due to being towpath side is Newbold, which I understand is fully occupied anyway.

Of course he may not have a mooring and is planning to cc around Rugby 😬

He's already said he's got a long term mooring at Newbold.