Free boat lifting area

Cpv1000

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Cpv1000 said:

Hi I have a boat being delivered to Rugby on the back of a hiab ,does anyone know where we can pull up by a canal within 20 miles of Rugby to lift it in ourselves. Many thanks 

You need to have permission from C&RT before using any area not normally used (ie Marina) and will require an assessment of the suitability to take the weight of a truck etc.

Might be a bit further than 20 miles from Rugby, but there is a good concrete hard standing next to  one of the locks at Stoke Bruerne. I think it is lock 17, could be 19.  CRT and BW have used it for craning out full size boats and the local fuel boats sometimes load there.

No idea about permissions if any.

N

You can definitely do it at Whilton Marina at the bottom of Long Buckby. As I understand it, Whilton is not CRT waters so it's only up to your arrangement with them. It could technically be done at Clifton Cruisers - I have seen similar sized boats pulled out at Clifton Wharf with no problems.

Whilst there are many places you could get alongside and drop a boat in, the problem comes if CRT turn up mob-handed and tell you to stop when you are part way through. They are less likely to go for you, more likely to go for the crane driver at which point your boat may well end up back on the lorry with you incurring extra costs. Dead of night on a deserted stretch would be the only way around that, but it's very risky.

Alec

43 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Might be a bit further than 20 miles from Rugby, but there is a good concrete hard standing next to  one of the locks at Stoke Bruerne. I think it is lock 17, could be 19.  CRT and BW have used it for craning out full size boats and the local fuel boats sometimes load there.

No idea about permissions if any.

N

We craned Fulbourne in there in 1986!  It is well used as a car park now which will restrict lorry movement

Image45.jpg

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

But its not very close to Rugby

There is a Yard at Hillmorton, Clifton Cruisers, Willow Wren, Springwood Haven, Star Line Nuneaton

They are all close to Rugby ffs. I would say were I am at moment is not so close to rugby but............

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Quite clandestine?

Pay the money, fgs

Yes agreed. On the scheme of things, paying to do the job properly will be peanuts after a few years boat ownership lol.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It will be a problem if anything goes wrong clandestinely.  C&RT will sue the pants off you.

There have been a couple of accidents over the last few years where the bank has given way causing a vehicle to tip into the canal. One was fatal. There are also various services under the towpath (fibre optic cables) and I suspect this was done on the cheap. CRT are going to be unhappy about heavy vehicles near the canal without their approval.

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Give Rugby boat sales a ring, they crane millions in there.

The OP doesn't want or need a crane. His boat is on a Hiab lorry. What he needs is to get the lorry to within about 6ft of the water's edge, and the very edge to be strong enough to take the weight from the lorry stabiliser/outriggers.

A bigger 'ask' than I think he realises as this must be one helluva Hiab lorry to be capable of lifting a boat weighing perhaps 4 tonnes at 10ft reach. 

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

The OP doesn't want or need a crane. His boat is on a Hiab lorry. What he needs is to get the lorry to within about 6ft of the water's edge, and the very edge to be strong enough to take the weight from the lorry stabiliser/outriggers.

A bigger 'ask' than I think he realises as this must be one helluva Hiab lorry to be capable of lifting a boat weighing perhaps 4 tonnes at 10ft reach. 

P-and-S-Marine_hyab_2-800x600.jpg