Why Brayford Pool (Lincoln) was cordoned off.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

With live very close to the Brayford and I am frustrated by how it is managed. So much so that we choose to moor in Newark. There are only a few visitor moorings in Lincoln and for at least the last 3 years there have been the same boats permanently living on the visitor moorings - often meaning there is only space for one visiting narrowboat. I don't understand why these long-term habitants aren't moved off the visitor moorings and onto the pontoons. The nearby 48 hour CRT visitor moorings are just as bad, with the same cruisers squatting on them week after week. Lincoln is a great city and it could be such a nice spot for visiting boaters. I wish the harbour and local CRT enforcement would get their acts together. And don't even get me started about the state of some of the boats on the long-term moorings! ..........

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, MrsM said:

With live very close to the Brayford and I am frustrated by how it is managed. So much so that we choose to moor in Newark. There are only a few visitor moorings in Lincoln and for at least the last 3 years there have been the same boats permanently living on the visitor moorings - often meaning there is only space for one visiting narrowboat. I don't understand why these long-term habitants aren't moved off the visitor moorings and onto the pontoons. The nearby 48 hour CRT visitor moorings are just as bad, with the same cruisers squatting on them week after week. Lincoln is a great city and it could be such a nice spot for visiting boaters. I wish the harbour and local CRT enforcement would get their acts together. And don't even get me started about the state of some of the boats on the long-term moorings! ..........

It is not so long ago that someone took things to the extreme and threw fireworks into one of the boats and it burnt and sank.

That whole length has been home to druggies and dropouts for many years. 

As I understand it the whole 'pool' (except for the main channel) belongs to the 'Lincoln Corporation' so C&RT have no control over the moorings.

We regularly went thru there but the only place to moor was go on thru the glory hole and against the wall and climb over the railings.

It is nice to use Stamp-End Lock and play with a Guillotine for a 'change' .

IMG_20140428_151514.jpg

8 minutes ago, MrsM said:

I don't understand why these long-term habitants aren't moved off the visitor moorings and onto the pontoons.

Because they’re higher than giraffe’s eyebrows and armed with machete’s & hand grenades? :D 

To be fair, we don’t like to cruise without at least three anti-personnel mines and a bazooka ;) 

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is not so long ago that someone took things to the extreme and threw fireworks into one of the boats and it burnt and sank.

That whole length has been home to druggies and dropouts for many years. 

As I understand it the whole 'pool' (except for the main channel) belongs to the 'Lincoln Corporation' so C&RT have no control over the moorings.

We regularly went thru there but the only place to moor was go on thru the glory hole and against the wall and climb over the railings.

It is nice to use Stamp-End Lock and play with a Guillotine for a 'change' .

IMG_20140428_151514.jpg

I remember the fireworks incident - the boat was moored in the towpath side and I  understand the poor chap was made homeless. The Brayford pool itself is independently controlled but CRT have visitor moorings on the offside as you approach the flyover bridge. These are supposed to be 2 day visitor moorings 

1 hour ago, MrsM said:

This is a large part of the reason we fell out of love with boating. ☹️

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Drugs in Brayford Pool.

Speed perhaps?

Very good 🤣🤣🤣

57 minutes ago, MrsM said:

I remember the fireworks incident - the boat was moored in the towpath side and I  understand the poor chap was made homeless. The Brayford pool itself is independently controlled but CRT have visitor moorings on the offside as you approach the flyover bridge. These are supposed to be 2 day visitor moorings 

Not sure I would have called him a post chap.

You reap what you sow.

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

This is a large part of the reason we fell out of love with boating. ☹️

Very good 🤣🤣🤣

Not sure I would have called him a post chap.

You reap what you sow.

I didn't know the boater. It does seem to be a bit lawless around the Lincoln waterways. Such a shame as it doesn't reflect well on the city and a thriving, well run harbour could be a real attraction for land and boat visitors. 

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, MrsM said:

I didn't know the boater. It does seem to be a bit lawless around the Lincoln waterways. Such a shame as it doesn't reflect well on the city and a thriving, well run harbour could be a real attraction for land and boat visitors. 

Fully agree. 

The Lincoln waterways have become a disgrace. 

I know that a lot of the BW boaters have withheld their licence fees this year as a form of protest against the lack of CRT enforcement. 

Can't see it making any difference myself.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The machete would have been for clearing long grass when mooring by the tow path, given the new light touch mowing policy.

Presumably the grenade was to deal with the saplings?